PDA

View Full Version : marina del rey fishing

Andreu10555
10-21-2013, 10:35 AM
So my friend and I go to marina del rey and launched our float tubes from mothers beach to go around the marina and fish and although the usual rays and smooth hound sharks weren't there we did manage to catch decent numbers of bonito over by mothers beach and a couple other docks. All were caught using big hammer swimbaits rigged on slayer heads, to be more specific they were on sexydine jigheads and sexy smelt tails. The bonito were easily the length ofy elbow to my wrist. Also there were a few bass caught over by the breakwall.

TUNAVIC
10-22-2013, 09:54 AM
WTG,sounds like you guys had a pretty good session that's cool,nice to hear about the Bonies,love to catch those,thanks.

Cya TUNAVIC

Ghost117
10-22-2013, 02:51 PM
I've been thinking of fishing that spot with my float tube for awhile but I can never get over the fear of a shark wanting to take a close look at me xD
What are some Do's and Don'ts when float tubing in the marina? And great session! Bonita's are awesome tasting and fight well!!!

SP Dan
10-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Mackerels and Bonita have been in the shallows recently!

Thanx for sharing your session, it sounds like you had a fun time!

SP Dan <"))><

Andreu10555
10-23-2013, 01:28 PM
Yes it was fun to get in on the bonies again especially in the marina. The only sharks I've seen in there are leopards and smooth hounds and they're harmless to us since they have such tony mouths.

Dos and Don'ts would be
Do fish the breakwall if possible try inside the boat slips for bass and bonies
Don't cast without looking since the marina is such a tourist hotspot, don't ever fish by the bait dock over by fisherman's village its just asking for yourself to get hit by a stray hook from those people who fish on that dock.
And honestly just keep an eye out for your surroundings since boats constantly go throughout the harbor. If you are mindful of what's around you you'll have a blast and catch some fish.

Ifishtoolittle
10-27-2013, 01:31 PM
Nice!!!

Any size to the bass? I'm planning to do a MDR tube trip in the winter for whatever bites.

skunked4life
10-28-2013, 07:12 AM
Nice mix there! I have never caught Bonito before! How's the fight? Keep the reports coming!

Skunked4life

Andreu10555
10-29-2013, 08:59 AM
Hey guys sorry for the late reply ok now to answer your questions

Ifishtoolittle the bass were easily 14inch and above but only break wall bass are that big the bass you tend to find near pilings and other structure inside the marina don't tend to reach those sizes.

Skunked4Life the bonito fought very well for their size and I was catching them while throwing big hammer swimbaits on weedless slayer jig heads from my daiwa millionaire 300-s spooled with 50 pound powerpro and all on a daiwa ballistic xh rod. I used an ultra light glass rod for some bonito as well and it was fun! They like to run like crazy when you stick one!

Andreu10555
10-29-2013, 09:02 AM
Also my buddy had luck catching them even on crankbaits! Only thing is try to use something with some sort of shiny color to it we had luck with big hammers in the sexy smelt color on a sexy dine slayer head and on chrome and blue kastmasters and the crankbaits were with shiny bomber crankbaits on a slow retrieve. Good luck it's fun!

Ifishtoolittle
10-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Hey guys sorry for the late reply ok now to answer your questions

Ifishtoolittle the bass were easily 14inch and above but only break wall bass are that big the bass you tend to find near pilings and other structure inside the marina don't tend to reach those sizes.

Thank you sir! Tubing the wall seems a little too ballsy for me, but I'm sure there are some decent models inside the harbor too.

bachiboy
10-29-2013, 10:27 PM
Nice job on the mixed bag. Wow, I don't think I've even heard of the bones going into the marina in any numbers for 15+years. Musta been a blast out there getting them in the tubes.

Way to go...
Don

I have never caught Bonito before! How's the fight?
Wasn't your old avatar a picture of your son holding a bonita?

Andreu10555
10-31-2013, 01:11 PM
Definitely just because the wall is known for its bigger models doesn't mean the inside part of the marina doesn't have any good models. I've caught ten inch bass inside the docks so definitely there are good models!

Bachiboy thanks it was a blast! I too have never heard of bones in the marina until my friend went out there and told me and we slayed them on the crankbaits and swimbaits!