PDA

View Full Version : Lance Corporal Nord, USMC, fishing at Castaic - Fish Candy saved our day!

fishinone
10-20-2013, 12:08 PM
When we took the Marines fishing in Diamond Valley Lake at SKC we were unable to put Derrick on a fish. All of the Sergeants caught fish. I guess the Marines do these things by rank.

Well that just wouldn't do! I gave Derrick (Lcpl Nord) a call and invited him fishing at my local lake, Castaic. We were blown out on our first attempt and rescheduled for Friday.

I told Corey about it and he said let's video tape it. We tried to get Khanh in too but he had to work.

On Friday morning, we met at Gallion's Market in Castaic and were the first in line. There were shad at the launch ramp but only a few so we went looking for rising fish. After finding very little surface activity, I started setting up the trolling rigs. It would have been better if I had brought the trolling Poles! My excuse is that I had a fever the night before, but excuses aside, I messed it up!

Well, it was "that time of day" so we fished" KPN topwater lures, swimbaits and jigs in some very promising areas. We had active fish on the fishfinder in shallow water but couldn't get a bite. After "that time of day" was over we headed to the boat ramp. I left Derrick and Corey with the boat and went home to pick up the trolling poles.

When I got back in an hour, they were working a shad school with the shad nets. There weren't many around but they were close to shore in the zone. Corey started working on stuff in the boat and I grabbed his shad net and started roaming around looking for the sweet spot. Derrick found a decent school and called me over. The shad were being pushed by the largemouth but they were still staying away from the nets. We made 3 shad and told Derrick, that should mean 3 fish.

There was a rumor of the shad being thick at the West Ramp so we went over there looking for them but there weren't any around. We talked about trolling but decided to use those three shad while they were in good shape. We pulled into the back of a cove and there was an assortment of shad, all different sizes but only a few nice size ones.

Derrick's first bait offered on 4lb line served up a nice fish in only a few seconds.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%20Derrick%20Nord/20131018_100445_zps723fbb81.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/Castaic%20Derrick%20Nord/20131018_100445_zps723fbb81.jpg.html)

Each shad yielded a nice largemouth! (Yes UGB! LOL!)

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%20Derrick%20Nord/20131018_102147_zps36c881f1.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/Castaic%20Derrick%20Nord/20131018_102147_zps36c881f1.jpg.html)

When our shad were gone we headed down the lake trying the trolling spots. We found the schools but couldn't get them to go. We tried different speeds, different colors and different tactics to get them to hit but, they were not cooperating.

We found a huge school in one spot, then 30 yards down the bank an immense school and on the next point another huge school. We didn't get hit but circled on them anyway because there were so many fish in a spot where I often catch fish that it seemed like a good bet. After a couple passes we hooked up on a hard hit. Derrick brought in a double of smaller schoolies. We worked the school for a while but no more would go!

At one point we found one of those schools so densely packed that I said they were in a defensive ball. On another pass we found them packed up like that with a huge fish directly under them.

We started back down the lake looking for a school that would go. We found fish but they weren't accepting our offerings.

So back to the Candy Bait!

I told the guys that I thought I could make shad in the afternoon and as a last ditch effort we headed for ramp. Derrick and I started working the nets. What we came up with was that Derrick would use Corey's net above the water to run the bait down the bank and as they hit a curb underwater they turned and came toward my net. We got one here and two there then pulled seven in a scoop.

With a dozen shad we started fishing while Corey filmed. We were about to give up and look for another spot when Derrick found the sweet spot out a little deeper than we had been fishing. The largemouth were taking the bait right near the surface, sometimes blowing up on them several times before they would get it. We won some we farmed some! The action was steady and soon we were running out of bait again.

Since we were right at the boat ramp, I went up and started making bait again. It was hard to keep up! We were using shad as fast we were catching it.

Corey took a break from filming and got in on the action.

Finally I got 5 in a scoop and then a couple 3s and went back to fishing, figuring that we had enough to last until closing time.

One of the Lifeguards came over and told us, that for the future, we should know that we aren't supposed to tie up to the dock for more than 15 minutes. He let us stay the last few minutes of the day anyway. Thank you Sir!

I don't have many pictures because Corey was filming. I guess I'll have to learn to take pictures anyway.

Corey will fill us in on the dock total with the video that's due out soon.

We kept the striper and released the largemouth.

We got Lcpl Nord some fish on this trip!

Hardcor
10-20-2013, 12:57 PM
What Ron said !

PS Thank you to cutbait for his phone call and information, Very cool !
PS Thank you to lcpl Derrick Nord for serving our country, Very Cool !

http://youtu.be/qPlMUoNUBR0

Bassfan
10-20-2013, 01:40 PM
Nice job showing Derrick how to catch with shad. Those shad are harder to catch than the fish we are after.
Hopefully he knows how lucky he is to have you two guys as teachers.
Well done!

HawgZWylde
10-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Nice job showing Derrick how to catch with shad. Those shad are harder to catch than the fish we are after.
Well done!

Awesome job you guys! Our finest deserve the best teachers and they certainly are getting them with you guys...

old pudd fisher
10-20-2013, 06:03 PM
A great thread "fishinone" it made my day.

CAPT'N
10-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Great job Ron, Corey :Farmer::Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up:

Capt'n

cutbait
10-20-2013, 06:51 PM
LCLp Nord is a fine young man

Way to go guys

FishingwithDave
10-20-2013, 11:01 PM
Derrick, thank you for your service to our country. And thank you Ron and Corey for your gracious act of kindness in taking this young man on an excellent fishing trip.

FWD

MikesOcean
10-21-2013, 02:50 AM
Corey and Ron you guys are first class for taking Lance Corporal Nord fishing!

Props to you guys for improvising on a slow bite and getting shad and putting him on fish!

Thank you Lance Corporal Nord for your continued service for our country and protecting out rights!

P.S. notice time of post! I'm going fishing with good buddies! :)

fishinone
10-21-2013, 08:00 AM
Well done!

Thank you Bassfan. I enjoy the hunt for the shad. Be vewy, vewy quiet!

Awesome job you guys! Our finest deserve the best teachers and they certainly are getting them with you guys...

Thanks Hawgs, we're doing our part for National Defense! LOL

A great thread "fishinone" it made my day.

My pleaseure! it made our days too.

Great job Ron, Corey :Farmer::Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up:

Capt'n

Thank you Capt'n,

LCLp Nord is a fine young man

Way to go guys

Derrick is a great guest.

Derrick, thank you for your service to our country. And thank you Ron and Corey for your gracious act of kindness in taking this young man on an excellent fishing trip.

FWD

Our part was easy. We went fishing. Having Lcpl Nord as a guest made it even better!

Corey and Ron you guys are first class for taking Lance Corporal Nord fishing!

Props to you guys for improvising on a slow bite and getting shad and putting him on fish!

Thank you Lance Corporal Nord for your continued service for our country and protecting out rights!

P.S. notice time of post! I'm going fishing with good buddies! :)

Thanks Mike.

P.S. We're buddies ain't we?

MikesOcean
10-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Absolutely!

fishinone
10-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Absolutely!

LOL! I was bummed cause I couldn't go fishing.

Somebody take me fishing please! :EyePop: Couldn't have gone anyway!

TroutOnly
10-22-2013, 10:24 AM
that was very kind of you ron and cory putting that young man on some fish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Double A
10-22-2013, 10:45 AM
1st thing that comes to mind is paying it forward.

I applaud you Ron n Corey for absolutely going out of your way to give this young man a day that he'll remember for the rest of his life.

Our country needs more of this... Selfless acts, rather than the selfish way of thinking that is taking over.

fishinone
10-22-2013, 11:31 AM
that was very kind of you ron and cory putting that young man on some fish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thank you T/O,

Dirrick's a nice guy, it's a pleasure doing nice things for him.

1st thing that comes to mind is paying it forward.

I applaud you Ron n Corey for absolutely going out of your way to give this young man a day that he'll remember for the rest of his life.

Our country needs more of this... Selfless acts, rather than the selfish way of thinking that is taking over.

Thank you Double A.

I think that we've gotten more fishing with these Marines than we've received. Being around genuine people is it's own reward.

GdHkSet1
10-22-2013, 08:47 PM
That is really cool getting LCPL Nord on some fish, making bait, and the persistence on getting fish to the boat - leaving the lake to go home and get the trolling rods! way cool!. Hats off to you guys!, and God Bless the United States Marine Corp.

fishinone
10-24-2013, 06:45 AM
That is really cool getting LCPL Nord on some fish, making bait, and the persistence on getting fish to the boat - leaving the lake to go home and get the trolling rods! way cool!. Hats off to you guys!, and God Bless the United States Marine Corp.

Thanks,

Just thought, but I can't ever remember having a good time because I threw my hands up and went home.

I've had great days that started with hours of trying one thing after another and ended with 20 minutes off catching though.

Hardcor
10-25-2013, 09:14 AM
Ron, Thank you so much for having me a long ! It is a day I will always remember ! That day was all you Ron !

You worked hard all day for this kid and never gave up ! Thank you so much for that !

Corey

fishinone
10-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Ron, Thank you so much for having me long ! It is a day I will always remember ! That day was all you Ron !

You worked hard all day for this kid and never gave up ! Thank you so much for that !

Corey

It was my pleasure Corey. I kept thinking that one of those striper schools would go off. Wishful thinking, I guess!

5 fish would have been OK but making shad at the end of the day made it much better.