PDA

View Full Version : lost two soldiers today.........

EfrenM
10-19-2013, 11:01 AM
headed out to the beach around 6 am it was still dark, i started throwing the lc that i got at hg5 and after the 10th cast my line snapped I nearly cried because I didn't get the chance to catch not even one fish on it. I tied a smelt lc and around an hour later I caught my first pancake and more started biting after that I caught three more, a 13" smelt, and a lizard fish. the bite died a bit after I told myself 5 more casts and at the fourth cast mi line it snapped again I was so pissed. Here are some pics it wasn't a bad session but I lost my precious lc :( http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k631/5janet1990/20131019_092132_zps31aba0b1.jpeg (http://s1119.photobucket.com/user/5janet1990/media/20131019_092132_zps31aba0b1.jpeg.html)http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k631/5janet1990/20131019_092151_zpsde2c82e7.jpeg (http://s1119.photobucket.com/user/5janet1990/media/20131019_092151_zpsde2c82e7.jpeg.html)http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k631/5janet1990/20131019_092143_zps6d4fa83d.jpeg (http://s1119.photobucket.com/user/5janet1990/media/20131019_092143_zps6d4fa83d.jpeg.html)

Jesus805
10-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Nice pics! That sucks loosing 2 lc
How were u tying them and lb test line ?

EfrenM
10-19-2013, 11:51 AM
I Wanted to try the nanofill on a 12 pound I tied it directly to the lc and when they snapped the snapped right at the knot

dkinla
10-19-2013, 01:13 PM
cool pics of the halis!

yeah I've read that nanofil has "breakage" issues... and also that they tend to fail at or around the actual line rating... so might be better to just use regular PowerPro braid straight to your LC, or perhaps the PowerPro Superslick if you were looking to get more distance/smoothness with your Nanofil...

skunked4life
10-19-2013, 01:23 PM
So sorry for your loss! Your's may be the first documented lost S.W.A.T. Lc! At least you got some fish today. Now as to nanofil, I have no experience but 12 pound test shouldn't be breaking off that easily. What kind of knot you use for the lc? I used to firmly believe in straight braid to lc but after Bachiboy convinced me otherwise, I have used mono. And yeah, losing lc's are just part of the equation. Anyone that tells you otherwise is either lying or not fishing very often.

EfrenM
10-19-2013, 01:47 PM
I use the palomar knot i just wanted to experiment with the nanofill but as soon as i got home tossed it out i usually use braid cause I like how sensitive it is

manuel149
10-19-2013, 05:58 PM
I don't think the line snapped its just so smooth that the knots slip, try doubling up on the knot.

Manny

DEVOREFLYER
10-19-2013, 07:10 PM
I have used Nanofil since it came out and have never had a problem, I use a Double Palomar knot as recommended and have a one inch wood dowel I use to wrap the line around when I get hung up, I have literally pulled up timber at DVL and the Wood with 8 lb Nanofil and never have a break. Casts a mile and hardly ever use a weight any more, I flyline almost all plastics and they act more natural.

TUNAVIC
10-19-2013, 08:19 PM
Pretty cool pics,a little different than lying in the sand,WTG,thanks.

Cya TUNAVIC

EfrenM
10-19-2013, 09:00 PM
I have used Nanofil since it came out and have never had a problem, I use a Double Palomar knot as recommended and have a one inch wood dowel I use to wrap the line around when I get hung up, I have literally pulled up timber at DVL and the Wood with 8 lb Nanofil and never have a break. Casts a mile and hardly ever use a weight any more, I flyline almost all plastics and they act more natural.
I gonna try the double Palomar knot maybe the problem was that the line I got was from sports.authority (the one they have on Clarence) and maybe it was a bit.old and that's why.it snapped I gonna get line from other place cuz I really like the sensitivity of the nano

EfrenM
10-19-2013, 09:12 PM
Pretty cool pics,a little different than lying in the sand,WTG,thanks.

Cya TUNAVIC tnx I want to try something different and I been trying todo do a video too

connordoyle
10-19-2013, 09:35 PM
I've had the same problem for some time, It was so discouraging building my confidence with the lure only to have to buy a new one every week or two. I did some research and asked a lot of questions at every tackle shop that I went to. I was throwing 20lb power pro straight to the lure for some time, I switched to 50lb (yes I said 50, its the equivalent of 10lb mono) with a 20 lb mono leader. Seemed to solve my problem, when it comes to throwing heavy hard baits the diameter of the line is actually more important, the snaps from casting come from abrasions in the line from rocks, sand, whatever... braid is powerful yes at holding weight it is weak in resisting damage due to its tiny diameter. Ive a couple weeks of hard fishing since then and have had no issues since.. (knock on wood)

Marley
10-19-2013, 10:30 PM
I've heard that Nanofil tends to burn when cinching down a knot. Maybe try lubricating the knot as it tightens?

Jaysuuun
10-19-2013, 11:08 PM
Ouch ...that really blows. Don't know what nanofil is made of but usually a good strong mono works for me. I recommend Izorline or P-Line 12-15lb test. If your on a budget you can't go wrong with Berkley Big Game or Stren and its readily sold at every Wal-Mart. I personally use Izorline XXX 12-15lb. I dont fuss with braid anymore. Too many bad experiences for me and Ive seen braid break off just as much as mono. Also just a few tips

-Make sure the line isn't wrapped around the rod tip before casting (I've lost a few this way)

-If you're bumping into structure check to make sure your line is not frayed and its nice and smooth near the lure

-After pulling in some nice fish or getting hung up in kelp the knot may be stressed. Clip it off and retie

-Be meticulous with your knots. ALWAYS wet the knot and make sure the loops cinch down correctly. If it doesn't look right clip it off and retie until its perfect.

-When in doubt....RETIE!

Also find a good knot you're comfortable with and learn to tie it well. I personally use a palomar knot on just about everything. If you're still experimenting tie up a few knots at home, anchor your lure somehow and pull on them to test their breaking strength. Please be careful when doing this. LOL I don't recommend doing this with braid. Choose the best knot, tie it well and use it on every outing.

Hope this helps.

bachiboy
10-20-2013, 05:45 PM
Sorry to hear about the lost LCs. Never fun watching those go flying away. Braid is a little trickier to tie than mono. Might try a uni knot with 7+ wraps...so it doesn't slip. Or just stick to mono like Jason said.:Wink: Nice going on the fish count.

Good luck out there!
Don

jerryG
10-20-2013, 09:27 PM
Wow, lost but never forgotten.. As Jason has recommended you can't go wrong with 12- 15 lbs Izor line.

JerryG

exfactor
10-20-2013, 11:12 PM
When you tie your lure on, put a few wraps around your other hand, and try to break it. If you can't, its good. If you can, you just saved yourself a lure, and gave your ego some food for thought. Pull hard, worst that can happen is it breaks.

shift21
10-21-2013, 03:03 AM
ah that is terrible man i know that feeling, its never good.

Homefish
10-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Hey P M,
Bummer about the the lost LC's! I lost 2 in 1 week. The 2nd was lost the Saturday b 4 HG5 & it was returned to me the Saturday after HG5! The day I lost it was a Coastal clean up day & a lady & her kids found it & gave it to a friend of mine that was also fish'n that day. He knew it was mine & returned it to me that Saturday after HG5. So who knows maybe you'll get 1 back. Never thought I would, but I did.

EfrenM
10-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Thanks guys for all your advice and tips, when I started surf fishing I would always use a 20 lb and then as I felt more comfortable changed to 15 lb mono line and I still have the first LC I bought. Just a few months ago was when I started using braid because of it's sensitivity but the I read that Nano was even more sensitive so I then bought nano on clearance (big mistake) I did not check the line before but when I got home and took it of the real it snapped easily. Even though I am very meticulous with my knots from now on though I'm gonna make sure to always double check my knots and line cause I do not want to loose another LC.

Wingnut
10-22-2013, 10:06 AM
Thanks guys for all your advice and tips, when I started surf fishing I would always use a 20 lb and then as I felt more comfortable changed to 15 lb mono line and I still have the first LC I bought. Just a few months ago was when I started using braid because of it's sensitivity but the I read that Nano was even more sensitive so I then bought nano on clearance (big mistake) I did not check the line before but when I got home and took it of the real it snapped easily. Even though I am very meticulous with my knots from now on though I'm gonna make sure to always double check my knots and line cause I do not want to loose another LC.

Hey Efren... why do you need the sensitivity when throwing the LC or any reaction bait?
The fish sees the lure, attacks it, most of the time they hooked themselves and you reel them in...
In my opinion, line sensitivity is important when dropshotting, when you "need" to feel the bite... not when throwing reaction baits. :Idea:
I like to use a good quality mono, because the line stretches a little and help to absorb the shock from the fight, especially from the headshakes of a big Halibut. :Wink:
I recently tried the Seaguar Senshi mono and liked it a lot. Most of the time I just use the standard Berkley Trilene XL or the Stren Magnaflex... works for me... :Razz:

SP Dan
10-22-2013, 07:36 PM
I agree with Wingnut!

As far as mono on the Drop-Shot, I use #15 Izor XXX.

Thanx for the fish report.

SP Dan <"))><