PDA

View Full Version : Tough Grind On Tuesday

DEVOREFLYER
10-18-2013, 10:42 AM
Started the day on Tuesday meeting up with HawGZwylde at the gate. After loading his gear on Old Blue aka The Redneck Rocket ship we hit the water. The first cove was occupied so we passed on to another cove on the North side and I landed my first, it was undersized at best. Moved on and on while Pat struggled with a new reel he had just bought and it looked like it was going to need an exorcism to straighten out all the problems it was having.

High pressure had moved into the area, a 3/4 moon the night before, no wind and no bait fish to be seen anywhere made for a tough day. We found a spot tucked back into a cove on the south side that was loaded with fish, many good sized. We thought it was going to be the honey hole, it was not. We used every technique and everything in the gear locker to no avail. We threw crank baits, flukes, Senkos, Robo worms and creature baits, jigs and more. No interest at all everywhere we went. We even tried the A Rig and also trolled the west dam and a number of points.

The electronics showed an occasional group of fish but not like the number of a week ago. We hit all of Pat's known spots for nothing, nada, zip, zero. It looked like Pat was going to get the Skunk for the first time in light years.

Heading back to the marina before close we made a last move into a cove on the north side. Low and behold the missing bait fish were found up against the bank and the UGC were hittin' um. Pat quickly beat the skunk with a nice 4 pounder. I missed several more on the fluke and then a tin boat with three guys came in and crashed the party. The guys were camped out almost on top of us and casting across our lines, a-ss hats.

The bite came very late in the day and we had run out of time being the last boat off the lake. Everyday is the same length but some days are wider. Tuesday was a very wide day 11+ hours on the water but we beat the skunk.

cutbait
10-18-2013, 10:58 AM
With you two on that boat you must have gone clockwise on the lake. No way that boat does anything that resembles left

cutbait
10-18-2013, 11:02 AM
My minded is picturing Dick Cheney and Rush Limbaugh throwing senkos at DVL

cutbait
10-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Devo and HAwgzy at DVL from opposite sides of the shore recently.

HAwgzy yells at Devo: hey devo how to I get to the other side?

Devo yells across the lake: You are on the other side bozo!

HawgZWylde
10-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Yup, that reel malfunction definitely set the stage for a tough day. Turned out the magnetic brake was defective and the levelwind broke altogether. I want to give a shout out to BPS for rectifying the problem fairly by replacing the wadded Seaguar line and replacing the reel without question. Gin clear water and little to no East wind all day definitely played a hand in bringing on that dreaded "curse of the Jewel". I thought for sure she was gonna bite me in the arse that day. Thankfully we found those bait fish being slaughtered by the birds and bass in the back of that cove. We hit it with about 25 minutes to spare which was just enough time to tie on a Rapala balsa wood Shad wake bait, pow, did the trick. Dev in-spite of the frustration of a brand new reel grenading on it's first outing, and sheet glass surface, it was a great day on the water, thank you my friend. Now we have to go back and redeem ourselves...

HawgZWylde
10-18-2013, 11:17 AM
With you two on that boat you must have gone clockwise on the lake. No way that boat does anything that resembles left

Lol, so that's why that sucker wouldn't turn to go to the other side of the lake. We had to go ALL the way around to get to the South side...

DEVOREFLYER
10-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Cutbait you should have been there to listen to the trash talkin' you would have loved it. Frenchy aka etucker, da Quagga and pcuser must have wondered what the hell was causing their ears to BURN, flamin' I tell ya flamin'. lol And the Redneck Rocket ship only turns right, HARD RIGHT it's an E ticket ride and is Quagga free. 200HP vroom, vroom, vroom damn speed limits eat your heart out Quagga.

HawgZWylde
10-18-2013, 11:21 AM
My minded is picturing Dick Cheney and Rush Limbaugh throwing senkos at DVL

Haha, should of seen it CB, we flew the Gadsden, the Confederate, the Stars and Stripes, AND had Hannity's theme song by Martina McBride "Let Freedom ring" blaring perpetually on the stereo all day. You would have been proud bro!

DEVOREFLYER
10-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Haha, should of seen it CB, we flew the Gadsden, the Confederate, the Stars and Stripes, AND had Hannity's theme song by Martina McBride "Let Freedom ring" blaring perpetually on the stereo all day. You would have been proud bro!

Ya left out the PIRATE flag , yo ho ho.

gogreeenz4
10-18-2013, 11:29 AM
Yup, that reel malfunction definitely set the stage for a tough day. Turned out the magnetic brake was defective and the levelwind broke altogether. I want to give a shout out to BPS for rectifying the problem fairly by replacing the wadded Seaguar line and replacing the reel without question. Gin clear water and little to no East wind all day definitely played a hand in bringing on that dreaded "curse of the Jewel". I thought for sure she was gonna bite me in the arse that day. Thankfully we found those bait fish being slaughtered by the birds and bass in the back of that cove. We hit it with about 25 minutes to spare which was just enough time to tie on a Rapala balsa wood Shad wake bait, pow, did the trick. Dev in-spite of the frustration of a brand new reel grenading on it's first outing, and sheet glass surface, it was a great day on the water, thank you my friend. Now we have to go back and redeem ourselves...

what reel was it?

HawgZWylde
10-18-2013, 11:39 AM
what reel was it?

BPS's new "extreme light" reel. I've got five of the older extremes and they've always done me right. Never had any probs. One of them even spent a year underwater at DVL and still works like a charm. This one's making me a little nervous though. They've changed to a different magnetic brake system and added a "drum" to the spool. It adds center mass weight to the spool so it's heavier on launch and stop. I've been messing with the adjustments here at home and I believe I've got it down. Very sensitive on the spool tension, one click makes the difference between an overrun and a clean cast. I think they need a better magnet on the other side. I've got this on my Dobyns and man what a feather light setup. If this holds together, it will be real sweet...

cutbait
10-18-2013, 11:51 AM
BPS's new "extreme light" reel. I've got five of the older extremes and they've always done me right. Never had any probs. One of them even spent a year underwater at DVL and still works like a charm. This one's making me a little nervous though. They've changed to a different magnetic brake system and added a "drum" to the spool. It adds center mass weight to the spool so it's heavier on launch and stop. I've been messing with the adjustments here at home and I believe I've got it down. Very sensitive on the spool tension, one click makes the difference between an overrun and a clean cast. I think they need a better magnet on the other side. I've got this on my Dobyns and man what a feather light setup. If this holds together, it will be real sweet...

I've had some bass pro reels, I'm not crazy about them.

Have had way better than every bps reel. I probably will never buy again.

Believe it or not, I'm falling in love with my cheapy quantum Kinect reel. Low budget, light weight and casts like the spool is hovering in the bearings. And when it breaks I will throw it in the trash and buy another.

gogreeenz4
10-18-2013, 12:06 PM
gotta love BPS...shimano is the only way for me

Brent
10-18-2013, 03:28 PM
I've got three 9 year old Johnny Morris reels that still work great.
Not the lightest reels by far, but still cast, reel and drag like new.
Also like my Carbonlite and Carbonblack that I got from there as well. Two years and work like a dream.

HawgZWylde
10-18-2013, 05:16 PM
I've got three 9 year old Johnny Morris reels that still work great.
Not the lightest reels by far, but still cast, reel and drag like new.
Also like my Carbonlite and Carbonblack that I got from there as well. Two years and work like a dream.

My oldest extreme is 7 years old (blue one) the rest are 5+ years old(Metallic green and gold). All of them work great and I can cast pretty much anything into the wind with no fear of wadding them. They cast a country mile and are all very smooth. As testament to their reliability and ruggedness, my oldest one sat at the bottom of DVL for a year until I found it as the lake dropped. I cleaned it up with LOTS of elbow grease and it works just like new. When I broke the reel down, the inside looked like water never touched it. I bought all of them on sale for $59.99. I have no complaints but this new one is NOT an original Extreme design and I'm a little nervous about it. Both cast controls are different from the original design and my first one blew up the first day so next Tuesday we'll see if it's replacement goes back or not. I will say this though, it's light as hell and on a Dobyns, is a sick light rig...

ben0606
10-26-2013, 09:57 AM
way to tough it out guys...................