PDA

View Full Version : Met DanS last night

cutbait
10-18-2013, 08:01 AM
So there are a couple Bako duct legends from way back in the 80's.

Dan S is one of these.

Growing up in Bako, we would see the pics of Giant stripers these guys would land in the paper and at Bob's.

Well I finally ran into him last night and guy is cool, let me pick his brain and learned a bit how he does it. I passed on to him a KPN so maybe he can have a successful KPN fish soon.

Nice meeting you Dan. I got 6 at that spot, 19 total

DanS
10-18-2013, 09:02 PM
So there are a couple Bako duct legends from way back in the 80's.

Dan S is one of these.

Growing up in Bako, we would see the pics of Giant stripers these guys would land in the paper and at Bob's.

Well I finally ran into him last night and guy is cool, let me pick his brain and learned a bit how he does it. I passed on to him a KPN so maybe he can have a successful KPN fish soon.

Nice meeting you Dan. I got 6 at that spot, 19 total

Good meeting you too CB. You're too kind with the legend quote. A whole lot better fisherman out there than me. I was just obsessed with duct fishing for a time when there were quite a few big fish around.
And I was fishing hard. Sometimes day after day for a month straight. When you fish that much you put your lure in front of a big one from time to time.
I just can't believe the number of small fish in the duct now. It just doesn't seem like their are too many big fish right now. Can't wait to try the KPN.

trail blazer
10-18-2013, 09:36 PM
Hay dan T/B here,,,,,,,,,,,New you from BOBs when you used to p iss me off and buy all the big macs and redfins,,,,better then 50 dd stripers in one year weigh,d in at bobs one yr,,,,80s,,,,,,,I was bloodworm in it and bigmackin it a lot back then too,,,,,,,,,you know before the MOSS when you could drag a bigmack up the bank and get smached by bigole stripe,

I only quit fishing the duct for a 5 or 6 yr stretch then came back to it a few yrs ago to find slower flows and moss,,,,,,,once I adapted it was off and running again.

see ya out there soon im sure,,,,,,,,,,,,its VAMPIRE time for the BAKO BOYS,,,,,,,,,Biguns are getting hungry

TRAIL BLAZER

cutbait
10-18-2013, 09:42 PM
Hay dan T/B here,,,,,,,,,,,New you from BOBs when you used to p iss me off and buy all the big macs and redfins,,,,better then 50 dd stripers in one year weigh,d in at bobs one yr,,,,80s,,,,,,,I was bloodworm in it and bigmackin it a lot back then too,,,,,,,,,you know before the MOSS when you could drag a bigmack up the bank and get smached by bigole stripe,

I only quit fishing the duct for a 5 or 6 yr stretch then came back to it a few yrs ago to find slower flows and moss,,,,,,,once I adapted it was off and running again.

see ya out there soon im sure,,,,,,,,,,,,its VAMPIRE time for the BAKO BOYS,,,,,,,,,Biguns are getting hungry

TRAIL BLAZER

You do know how the moss started right?

The big wash out up north in like 98? Or so

DanS
10-20-2013, 08:28 AM

TRAIL BLAZER

Eighty DD's is a lot in one year. Wow! My best year was about 55. Hey, did you know the railroad guy Bill?
I would have to say of the big fish Guys I know he has amassed more 30's and 40's than anyone I know except for one guy, but most of his were all caught on illegal live bait.
I don't know what you guys are trying to imply about the moss? It is tough fishing through it with lures for a few months, but what other problems does it cause? My understanding they use to treat the duct for moss but quit. Someone told me that but that might have been very expensive so not sure that is true.

cutbait
10-20-2013, 08:36 AM
Eighty DD's is a lot in one year. Wow! My best year was about 55. Hey, did you know the railroad guy Bill?
I would have to say of the big fish Guys I know he has amassed more 30's and 40's than anyone I know except for one guy, but most of his were all caught on illegal live bait.
I don't know what you guys are trying to imply about the moss? It is tough fishing through it with lures for a few months, but what other problems does it cause? My understanding they use to treat the duct for moss but quit. Someone told me that but that might have been very expensive so not sure that is true.

I forgot the name of the guy, but he introduced me to the Big Mac first hand. He hauled Almonds for an almond hauler. Drove a purple Silverado with a two tone yellow underside with ground effects and all, He used to live in Buttonwillow off of 7th standard. This was 98-99. I saw him last year at Freeborn and he was still slayin. He didn't remember me

Regarding the moss, Remember back in 95-98. Its gotta be 95. The heavy rain year. The duct washed out up north when that bridge on I-5 washed out. It introduced the mud, sediment which in turn held the moss. Around that time the water cry babies up north started getting the duct flows cut.

With the flows cut, velocity in the duct diminished allowing the perfect storm of mud, lower flows to allow a strangle hold on the canal.

I know the Duct guys, talked with them. Velocity was the only thing keeping the moss out years ago. They said they never treated. This was a retired duct guy so he was there almost from the beginning

DanS
10-20-2013, 01:30 PM
I forgot the name of the guy, but he introduced me to the Big Mac first hand. He hauled Almonds for an almond hauler. Drove a purple Silverado with a two tone yellow underside with ground effects and all, He used to live in Buttonwillow off of 7th standard. This was 98-99. I saw him last year at Freeborn and he was still slayin. He didn't remember me

Regarding the moss, Remember back in 95-98. Its gotta be 95. The heavy rain year. The duct washed out up north when that bridge on I-5 washed out. It introduced the mud, sediment which in turn held the moss. Around that time the water cry babies up north started getting the duct flows cut.

With the flows cut, velocity in the duct diminished allowing the perfect storm of mud, lower flows to allow a strangle hold on the canal.

I know the Duct guys, talked with them. Velocity was the only thing keeping the moss out years ago. They said they never treated. This was a retired duct guy so he was there almost from the beginning

I really don't think the moss is such a bad thing. Gives cover for lots of little creatures. I don't know the guy you are talking about. My friend bill( I won't post his last name) is a different guy. Another guy in Taft who supposedly has caught a fish close to 60 out of the duct. So the guy you are talking about, is he getting any big ones?

cutbait
10-20-2013, 01:36 PM
He hasn't. He used to get a bunch of big ones at Bv though. Back in the day.

Moss is a killer for me. More ways than one

DanS
10-20-2013, 02:26 PM
He hasn't. He used to get a bunch of big ones at Bv though. Back in the day.

Moss is a killer for me. More ways than one

It worries me that few big fish are being caught. Actually I hate the moss too but it usually happens when fishing is the worst anyway.