PDA

View Full Version : newport habor

fish aholic
10-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Yesterday made the choice to head to newport habor and rent a skiff in stead of heading to Castaic. Might have been the right move.. started the day at 7am. Head to the bait barge. Picked up a nice scoop of chovies.. Then head in side the bay bye the sail boat.
First drift produce sum small hailbuts from 10inches to about 15inches.. Made a slight move about 100 yards started a new drift picked up 5 bay bas from about 14 inches to 18 inches (released).. made a move in to shallow water. To start a new drift this drift started with sum more short halibuts and sum more bay bass. Did this drift again and then line starts peeling of the reel about 3 to 4 min later brought up a nice fat 23 1/2 inch hali. Repeated drifts in same area moving here and the for next 2 hours bite slowed down picking off sum short hali here and there with occasional bass mixed in. Decided to make move out by bait barge first drift in this spot started with sum nice sized calicos between 12 and 18 inches (released). Made slight move about 50 yards and started picking of barracudas about 16 to 20 inches redrifted same spot and then my rods gets slammed set hook feel the twll tail dead weight with occasional head shake fight it for about 7 to 8 min on 15lb line get in up just out of net range what do we see a big hali by big I mean prob about 35 to 40 inches in length. . Then it take another run and then it happends hook pops free.. was made as hell but yhats fishing.. so decided to try drift again this time it was my uncles turn his rod get slammed so hard his pole was inches from being in the water he grabs the rod just it time about 3 min later we net another legal this one at 24inches.. all in all id have to say pretty good day 2 legals and count less bay bass and calicos with barracuda mixed in..

thanks to all who read..
Mike

SP Dan
10-17-2013, 10:14 AM
Hi ya fish aholic,

"Congratulations" on putting two legals on the deck and for getting yourself a cooler filled with a nice variety of fish! Did someone say tacos?!? :Big Grin:
I would have liked to have read that you had landed the monster that had gotten away..... :Wink: Oh well! Next time for sure!
You and your Uncle had a day on the water that most people would only dream of or would pay BIG $ to have!

PS ..... That was a good call :Thumbs Up: to head to the Harbor Sir!

Thanx for the fish report! :Cool:
Did you happen to get any photos that you could share with us?

SP Dan <"))>< "The Danimal"!

Slickwill43
10-17-2013, 10:43 AM
Great time fishing in NPH, I have always wanted to go on one of those skiffs, you were using anchovies but how did you have them rigged? Dropshot? Also for trolling you were just floating and letting them drag behind or were you actively reeling in?

fish aholic
10-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Did not get any pics sorry guy left phone and camera at home was in hurry woke up late. Will definitely next time..

fish aholic
10-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Forgot camera and phone at home was in hurry. As for rigging carolina with a 1/2 oz wieght and a # 2 hook. While drifting letting wind and current move the boat and bait.. although would sumthimes get hit while reeling in to check bait..

bachiboy
10-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Very nice job after the change of directions! Great job on the legals but sorry that the BIG girl gave you the slip. She's still out there waiting for round 2...go get her!!!!

Don

fish aholic
10-18-2013, 06:30 AM
Thnks Don.. she sure is still out there waiting for someone to try again. I will be trying again probably in about 2 weeks..
Mike

5150fishn
10-18-2013, 07:54 AM
Nice productive day in the harbor! I need to get my kayak back out there. Sounds like you guys hit the variety pack for sure! Bummer about the one that got away but it happens to all of us. :Big Grin:

fish aholic
10-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Yes sir happends to the best of us.. should get out there water in harbor still warm. And still good fishing to be had..

Jaysuuun
10-19-2013, 11:21 PM
Nice harbor session. Would've loved to see some pics of that big but. Sorry to hear about the loss but at least you went home with some dinner.