PDA

View Full Version : Need help with an older boat

rrawstron
10-16-2013, 06:01 PM
Hey all,

My grandpa left me a 1976 Monark McFast 16 ft bass boat when he passed away...long and short it needs a bunch of work (some of which has already been done) and isn't worth a bunch of money. I'm really wanting to fix it up and use it for a few years, but with minimal spending for any work it may need. Not worried about cosmetics, just that it runs well and doesn't leak.

I'm hoping to find someone well versed in boats (potentially a boat mechanic) that would be willing to look over the boat & motor and give me an idea of what repairs are necessary, and potentially help with the work (which I will gladly pay for). I'm willing to pay the right person for their time to check it out, just don't really have the coin to take it to a shop and get it looked over, unless you can point me in the direction of a shop that wouldn't charge an arm and a leg for this.

If you have any thoughts or potentially could help, send me a PM and I'll reply with my phone #.

Thanks again,
Rob

Jig-Guy
10-17-2013, 11:36 PM
What engine is on this boat? When was it last started? Do not try to start the engine with old gas in a rusty gas tank! What 2 stroke oil to gas ratio does the engine take, 25 to 1 or 50 to 1 mixture. Make sure you do this correctly or you will burn up the engine.
Was the boat stored outside with no protection?
If the boat did not leek when it was last used it should not leak today. The 76 Monark is a simple bass boat. Does the steering still work and is not froz up? Tires probably shot and bearings on the trailer have to be pulled and made sure they are smooth and will not fail. Electrical checked, Gas line and bulb may need to be replaced.
Do you have the pink slip in your name for the boat and trailer?
Boat shops today charge around $85.00 + parts at retail.
You must address the tires and bearing before you move this rig. Failed tires and wheel bearings will get you fast!
Good luck and I hope you get to use your grandpa's cool boat.
tl
jig-guy

stepchild
10-18-2013, 06:36 AM
i have an 76 monark bass boat also.its a great lil bay,and on good days,kelp fishing boat.i have an old 76 eveinrude 85 horse.i had to drainthe old gas and add a fuel water seperater.to clean out the lil rust it had.i change filters every 4-5 trips to try and eliminate the gunk on the bottom of tank..but besides that,theres a guy here in paramount that has done my tuneups and put new tires and a lil electrical,and he wasnt that bad on price..

cutbait
10-18-2013, 07:54 AM
All that was said is 100%

I would only add check transom for rot, I can almost bet you it has some. Question is how much?

Bearings and tires number one.

Don't forget the lower unit oil. Change that and inspect for water

Water pump impeller needs changing for sure.

Don't use existing fuel as jig guy says.

Batteries will need to be changed.

A tip to get it started quick is pull one spark plug and use a spray bottle and spray one squirt of gas in the cylinder. Use 2 stroke fuel if a 2 stroke. It wont run with one squirt but it will get it to fire