PDA

View Full Version : Hook up!!!!!!

Pete Marino
10-14-2013, 09:41 PM
So as most of you already know Im a freshwater bass guy for the most part nowadays. But before I turned into the bass maniac, I fished for a variety of species including Trout and Catfish in the fresh water and I also spent a lot of time in the salt water chasing yellowtail, barracuda, white seabass, Calicos, Sand Bass and a variety of other saltwater species.. Heck I used to fish the bays ALOT and have a GIANT 5lb 2ounce Spotted bay bass to my credit that I caught in Newport Bay in 1998. Spotted Bay Bass that size are EXTREMELY rare to say the least.
But since I got into the whole freshwater bass scene I simply don't have time anymore to fish the salt like I used to. So when Kevin called me and asked my to Join him for a day paddy hopping looking for Dorado, Yellowtail and Tuna I simply couldn't say No!!!
Rick and Kyle Grover also came along and we all could hardly wait to get to the ramp at Shelter Island in San Diego. We arrived shortly before 5am, launched the boat, got Sardines from the bait receiver and headed out into the darkness.
I have to say, after being on lakes most of the time, when we made the turn from the point and headed out into open water just as the dawn began to show itself, The view was as beautiful as Ive ever seen , yet very intimidating.
We went about 35 miles out and then started looking for paddies... which were pretty few and far in between. But to me it didn't matter because I was spending the day with hardcore fishing buddies and we were having a good time!!!!
We went to the 371 to the 425 and back again...up and down back and forth HUNTING!!!!! We fished several really good looking paddies but we simply couldn't find the Tuna, Yellows or the Dorado.
But that didn't deter us...We kept hunting.... Like I said, I was in the company of 3 guys that are as hardcore as I am and we don't give up regardless of if we're in the salt or on a lake!!!!
The word on radio was that it was an extremely tough day but we kept grinding!! We paddy hopped, we trolled, we paddy hopped more and trolled more again....

Finally we saw some breaking fish with birds working and we stopped and Kyle fired out an Iron... Just as his Iron hit the water it was GAME ON as his Iron was blasted!!! He sets the hook and its go time... In the mean time the rest of us were chucking 'Dines but we werent getting bit. Finally Kyle has a handle on his fish and brings it next to the boat and its a 12-14lb Skip Jack...:mad: Not the species we were looking for but that sucker put up a hell of a fight.. Those things don't give up!!!!!

After that we decided to start trolling again... So after a short ride 2 of our rods HIT THE DECK....FISH ON!!!!!!! As Rick and I each grab a rod and begin the fight... Because of the trolling rods it wasn't much of a fight though and within a minute of so, we each have a 12-14 lb Skip Jack next to the boat...Wrong species again..but fun none the less.

Back they go into the drink and we went about our way....now were paddy hopping again and we see more breaking fish..again Kyle bombs out his Iron and it gets smashed instantly...Another 12-14 lb Skip Jack!!!

We then continued to hunt.... and hunt and hunt. More and more reports were coming in and most everyone was having just as tough of a day as we were with the exception of a couple boats who hit pay dirt on a random paddy and found some yellows..

We literally fished until 430 and started heading back while looking for paddys... Then Rick says, "Theres a Marlin"....my first reaction was "HUH?" But sure enough there was a Marlin about 50 yards from the boat sunning on the surface cruising slow with its dorsal fin out of the water...
Instantly we jumed into action.. I grabbed the first rod I could grab..(Which was spooled with 20lb) hahahahaha... Hey I was in a hurry and didn't even think about it...I WAS GONNA CATCH ME A MARLIN!!!!!!! hahahahah I quickly put a Sardine on as Kevin did a circle around the Sunning Marlin.. We got to be about 40 yards from it as I bombed the sardine toward it.. I led it by about 7-8 yards Just as the Marlin slowly sank down out of sight.. I kept the bail open and free spooled line out as Kevin pulled away about 70-80 yards. At that point I slowed down the spool and felt for pressure. And sure enough THERE WAS PRESSURE..... I then took my thumb off for another 5 yards and Told the guys... I think it has my Sardine....So Kevin sped the boat up slightly as I prepared to set the hook on a freaking Marlin with 20lb!!!!! I then engaged the reel and wound down and tried to cross its eyes!!! HOOK UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I set the hook, the Marlin peeled about 20-30 yards of line as Kyle quickly grabbed our GoPros and began recording.... I had it on for about 2-3 minutes as I told the guys that I didn't think it knew it was hooked.. Right as Kyle started recording This Marlin must have felt my guns..hahahah because It decided to show itself in a big way and proceded to make about 7-8 full jumps putting on a show Ive never been a part of... And ever thought Id be a part of with an 8ft bait rod and 20lb mono!!! hahahahaha

I continued to fight it for the next few minutes before It made a turn and started to swim parallel to the boat and made one last HUGE jump and came unbuttoned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Noooooooooooooooooooooooo......... THAT WAS AWESOME.... It didn't break me, it just came unbuttoned....It was an awesome experience non the less and one Ill always remember..
It was something that none of us expected. .. but something we'll all remember forever. Yeah we should have grabbed the rod with 60 or 80lb on it but hey I was in a hurry hahahahaha. That was like hooking an 18 lb bass on 4lb line...We knew it probably wouldn't end well but we were gonna enjoy the ride!!!!
The marlin was probably 100-120 lbs.... God it would have made an awesome picture!!!!

Good times, good company and a hell of a story for years to come!!!

Heres the video...enjoy! excuse our language!!! hahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD_KJwLnbOo&feature=player_detailpage

Pete :Cool:

DockRat
10-14-2013, 10:17 PM
What a heart breaker but a great memory and video. :Thumbs Up:
Should have brought your DVL bass rod for the Skippy's. Lol
Great trip still.
DR

TUNAVIC
10-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Wow,pretty cool,oh well it was nice while it lasted,20lb test is possible,but don't know if I could handle the stress!

Cya TUNAVIC

Hardcor
10-16-2013, 09:14 AM
Wow,pretty cool,oh well it was nice while it lasted,20lb test is possible,but don't know if I could handle the stress!

Cya TUNAVIC

Very nice Pete ! Bass guy on a Marlin !

Corey

Hardcor
10-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Pete !

Look what I did to your captain ! Two and one half hours on 10 pound !

http://youtu.be/fZpkqaAo9Go

Pete Marino
10-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Thanks Corey... yeah I saw that video of Kevin just after that trip.. hahaha that thing worked him!!!!

Pete

Brent
10-16-2013, 02:29 PM
Awesome Pete!
Just to hook up with a marlin on light line would be a blast. Much less getting 7-8 jumps out of it.

Brent

cutbait
10-16-2013, 03:26 PM
I am jealous.

Beats everyone of my fishing experiences

Pete Marino
10-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Thanks guys!! Im sure my form was bad for catching that thing, the line size had the odds stacked against me...But I didn't care!! It was fun while it lasted..lol Ive never hooked a Marlin so it was something Ill never forget even though it came unbuttoned. We all had a good time that's for sure.. ; )

Pete

flytyingreloader
10-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Mighty fine experience, for sure!

Skippies for certain, and NOT bonito? Intriguing, that. I had my mind all made up to work the June Loop and Bridgeport for trout this week......now you've got my attention REALLY divided!

Pete Marino
10-23-2013, 12:12 AM
Yep they were Skip Jack!!!

Pete