PDA

View Full Version : This Ol' SWAT Guy Was Blessed With A Variety Pack Today!

SP Dan
10-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Monday
Sun Rise: 0657 hrs, Sun Set: 1820 hrs.
Air: 55 - 81 deg, Water: 64 deg, Sky: Clear, Wind: 3 - 0 MPH!
Surf: 1 - 2 ft , Swell: 1 ft , Sec Intervals: 15+
Moon Phase: Waxing Gibbous.
Conditions: Some moderate early morn waves, relatively flat, mostly gin clear water with a few areas that had heavily accumulated weed build up (isolated to small beach wave break areas).
Tides: 0630 hrs ICT 4.7 ft, 0712 hrs HT 4.8 ft, 0800 hrs OGT 4.6 ft, 0900 hrs OGT 4.0 ft, 1000 hrs OGT 3.1 ft, 1300 hrs LT 1.4 ft .
Isolunar Forecast: Major Period: 0739 to 1039 hrs. :BFish::BFish:
Bait Presence: Scarce. Bird Presence: Just a few Pelican and Peligic birds diving now and then. Water Dogs: None
Duration: 0630 hrs to 1030 hrs.
Distance covered: 2.63 miles. Calories Burned: 734 calories. Total Elevation Climbed: 459 feet per my RunKeeper app on my iPhone 5.
Assault Tactic: LC 110 and drop-shot
AO (Area of Operation): aka: Backyard

My Total "Variety Pack" fish count: for today's session (1) YFC, (1) Legal 25" Hali, (1) 12" Jack Smelt, (1) one short Hali (1) 15" Checker side.

At 0600 hrs I was all geared up and began my 1/2 mile hike to my AO and saw this car that looked like Wingnut's but I wasn't sure, so as I approached the car cautiously from behind ... one needs to be careful while sneaking up behind someone ..... I peeked in the window :EyePop: and saw Arthur pounding away on his cell phone; to my :EyePop: surprise, and we were both :EyePop: surprised to see each other .... in the very best :Big Grin: of ways! We could not have planned it any better! :Wink: So we chatted a bit and decided to divide and conquer two adjoining AO's and share the INTEL afterwards! Make certain to check :Shocked: out the Commanders :Thumbs Up: awesome report! You had yourself a great session out there brotha!
While hiking-in in the dark on the dirt path I got to within 20 ft of this calm little critter! :Skunk: We parted ways without disturbing one another or making a BIG ::Bug Eyes: STINK out of our surprise encounter! :ROFL::Explode:

At 0630 hrs my feet are in the salt and on the second cast with my LC I get a nice lil' hit, a 14" YFC. Ok .... well that get's rid of my second :Skunk: skunk of the day! :LOL: Phewww!

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff467/dancorery/P1000063.jpg (http://s1237.photobucket.com/user/dancorery/media/P1000063.jpg.html)

So I'm fan casting and working my way down to some more of my familiar honey holes on this stretch of beach when my rod goes BENDO again and I float this 25" legal Halibut onto the sand with a final wave surge. :Big Grin: SWEET! Thank you Poseidon!!
This makes my second legal in two days! I beached a 23" Hali yesterday!

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff467/dancorery/P1000064.jpg (http://s1237.photobucket.com/user/dancorery/media/P1000064.jpg.html)

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff467/dancorery/P1000066.jpg (http://s1237.photobucket.com/user/dancorery/media/P1000066.jpg.html)

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff467/dancorery/P1000065.jpg (http://s1237.photobucket.com/user/dancorery/media/P1000065.jpg.html)

So I continue on fan casting and still working my way down to some more of my familiar honey holes on this stretch of beach when my rod goes BENDO again and I land a 12" Jack Smelt. Released in the water ... no pic's.

I resumed casting my LC and as soon as my lure touched the water .... SLAM ... followed by some head shakes and a bit of hide-n'-seek behind some structure, Heck .... it wasn't even two minutes before I beach this nice lil' 15"+ checker side! I'm always happy to beach at least one Bass per session if I can! They always put up a great lil' fight at first!

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff467/dancorery/P1000067.jpg (http://s1237.photobucket.com/user/dancorery/media/P1000067.jpg.html)

At this point nothing was happening with my trusted LC .... so ... I switched over to the Drop-Shot and my last fish of this session was this lil' pancake which was de-hooked and released safely while standing in the water.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff467/dancorery/P1000070.jpg (http://s1237.photobucket.com/user/dancorery/media/P1000070.jpg.html)

As I'm hiking out; back towards my vehicle, I encountered something else on my path .... a harmless 3 ft+ long indigenous "Hissssss" laying across the trail, sunning it's self on the warm trail. :Bug Eyes: Where is my trail blazing Brotha ....skunked4life aka: Ken :LOL: when I really needed him! I've truly had some strange :EyePop: coming's and going's on the trail this day!

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff467/dancorery/P1000071.jpg (http://s1237.photobucket.com/user/dancorery/media/P1000071.jpg.html)
We both parted and or slithered in our own destined directions. Note: Mr Slithers did allow me to pick him up for a brief hello! What a magnificent creature!

Note: The hooks were removed from the fish prior to measurements and photos being taken, followed by their expedited release.

Thanx for checking out my fish report!

SP Dan <"))>< "The Danimal"!

5150fishn
10-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Another great day on the water and some cool wildlife encounters. Very cool report and pics Dan! I wish I could manage more time to hit the surf. It also would be nice if it wasn't so far away. Lol
Great multi species day in the surf.:Envious:

skunked4life
10-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Danimal!!!

As I said in the text earlier..Congrats! You can top the commander in legal butts if you continue on this path my friend! Unprecedented consistency from you!

I REALLY wanted to get out there this morning, even cleaned up my gear and got my stuff ready, but alas, work is demanding more time from me and I am feeling guilty taking off from work lately.

Did you see the dead skunk on the way? That was my omen for Saturday...

By the way, you know that the snake bite offer is now OFFICIALLY OFF of the table...

Thanks for the inspirational report my friend!

Skunked4life, aka Corporal Croaker, aka Ken

dlmoo312
10-14-2013, 03:36 PM
You proved what i said in your last report once again lol
Another outing, another legal! Congratulations Brother Dan :Big Grin:
I'm thinking about heading to your "backyard" tomorrow morning. Maybe i'll run into you there? :Secret:
Thanks for the report Dan!

-Daniel

keepemlo
10-14-2013, 04:45 PM
the old soilder is still showing how iys done way to go ,,,yeah nice very nice

fishshep
10-14-2013, 09:16 PM
Nice Variety, and Legal especially, but the pic of the Hali in the water was really :Cool::Big Grin:

bachiboy
10-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Way to go Danimal! Nice job on another quality legal. I had a feeling that you'd lay into something good considering what "the other guy" did over the hill.:LOL: Was hoping that maybe you made the hop over and added to the mixed bag. Great day either way man!:Thumbs Up:

Congrats!!!
Don

DockRat
10-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Good looking Halibut Danimal. :Applause:
Too bad about the Skunk :LOL:
DR

Jaysuuun
10-15-2013, 06:13 PM
Nice variety pack Danno! You just keep racking up those legals!
I had a similar run in with a skunk sometime ago. In the greylight it looked like a funny looking cat. LOL

sidified
10-16-2013, 03:49 AM
Congrats, Dan.. beauty pics and excursion.. can only marvel at what havoc (?) you'd reek if you ventured out of your back yard.. I tried MY backyard yesterday but couldn't get the goldfish to bite..

Wingnut
10-16-2013, 12:26 PM
Awesome session Brother Dan! :Thumbs Up:
You are on fire with the legal Halibut... I haven't seen one of those in awhile. :Envious:
It was good to see you Monday morning, I think we spanked them good! :Twisted:

SP Dan
10-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Another great day on the water and some cool wildlife encounters. Very cool report and pics Dan! I wish I could manage more time to hit the surf. It also would be nice if it wasn't so far away. Lol
Great multi species day in the surf.:Envious:

Hi ya Dan!

Heck ..... we all wish that we could get out there more often! I just happened to have a paid Holiday and saw it as another opportunity to get salty!
Beaching the 25" Hali was unexpected and a blessing to say the least!
Now I need to get a new PB Halibut. So far Poseidon has blessed me with a 31".

Thanx Dan for taking the time! :Cool:

Dan

Danimal!!!

As I said in the text earlier..Congrats! You can top the commander in legal butts if you continue on this path my friend! Unprecedented consistency from you!

I REALLY wanted to get out there this morning, even cleaned up my gear and got my stuff ready, but alas, work is demanding more time from me and I am feeling guilty taking off from work lately.

Did you see the dead skunk on the way? That was my omen for Saturday...

By the way, you know that the snake bite offer is now OFFICIALLY OFF of the table...

Thanks for the inspirational report my friend!

Skunked4life, aka Corporal Croaker, aka Ken

Hi ya Brotha Ken!

Yes .... I saw the SKUNK pelt; on the side of the roadway, during my travels!

I first glance I thought that perhaps ... you had dropped your fishing :LOL: jacket and so I had started to pick it up for you when I noticed that it had eyes and a tongue hanging out the side of it's mouth! "Whooops! .... That's not Ken's jacket" .... I said to myself! Ha ha ha! It's too small!! :ROFL: ha ha ha!

As far as .... "the snake bite offer is now OFFICIALLY OFF of the table... "Once it's been said out loud ..... it's been said"! Hmmmm ...
....I'll need to confirm this bit of INTEL with the S.W.A.T Central Command first .... before it's officaly off .... Corporal Croaker! :LOL: Ha ha ha!
Sorry Sir ... I heard back from the Central Command ........ you are still officially on as "Snake Bite".

If you're not too busy or you don't already have plans ...... I'll be heading into my backyard this weekend.
Join me if you can and we'll see about your Checker Side! :Cool:

Dan

You proved what i said in your last report once again lol
Another outing, another legal! Congratulations Brother Dan :Big Grin:
I'm thinking about heading to your "backyard" tomorrow morning. Maybe i'll run into you there? :Secret:
Thanks for the report Dan!

-Daniel

Hey there Brotha Daniel!

I only thing that I've proven here is that Poseidon can be generous with all of us.... at times!
Let's see how He behaves :EyePop: on my next session .... ok?!?!

Ya know Daniel ..... that AO is a funny spot .... it can be RED HOT one day and then turn ICE COLD the very next!

I'm glad that you were able to get out there and enjoy it ..... it is one of my favorite AO's! :Cool:

Dan

the old soilder is still showing how iys done way to go ,,,yeah nice very nice

My Brotha Stan .... my wing-man!

Every time I encounter a patch of dirty water ...... I remember Torrance Beach from years back and you telling me ....
"Dan .... the Halibut like cleaner water ... this water is too murky .... let's go and find us some cleaner water"!
And just after we moved into cleaner waters .... "BAM" you beached a 24" Legal Hali!
Heck..... I still have that photo of you and your 24" Legal from that day! You are Stan-The Man!

Thanx Stan for taking the time to hit up my report! :Cool:

Dan

Nice Variety, and Legal especially, but the pic of the Hali in the water was really :Cool::Big Grin:

Hi ya Danial,

When it hit ... it had that heavy feel to it but my mind couldn't confirm it until it sled out from the beach break suds.
To have it measure 25"+ had definitely put a big grin on my face indeed!

Normally if the pancakes are easy to un-hook, then I'll just keep them in the water and release them there.
I find they seem to stay calmer in the water and it offers a better chance of a photo without handling them! A win win!

Thanx for taking the time, :Cool:

Dan

SP Dan
10-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Way to go Danimal! Nice job on another quality legal. I had a feeling that you'd lay into something good considering what "the other guy" did over the hill.:LOL: Was hoping that maybe you made the hop over and added to the mixed bag. Great day either way man!:Thumbs Up:

Congrats!!!
Don

Hi ya Brotha Don,

If I had known :EyePop: what was going on in the Commanders camp .... I would have definitely humped the click; over to where he was located at, in record time and in doing so .... breaking any and all land records! :Big Grin: Ha ha ha!

I'll be doing a sun-downer for the next couple of nights to see what I can stir up with my new SWAT LC lure. Stay tuned!
Who knows ..... there may still be a legal Hali hanging around the area .... looking to start a :Slap: fight with me.

Dan :Cool:

Good looking Halibut Danimal. :Applause:
Too bad about the Skunk :LOL:
DR

Hi ya Martin,

Yeah .... RIGHT ..... :LOL: ha ha ha .... Too bad about the skunk(s)! ha ha

I'm just hoping that there is a pattern starting here and that each new Halibut will be larger than the previous one! Hmmm. Time will tell!

Nice variety pack Danno! You just keep racking up those legals!
I had a similar run in with a skunk sometime ago. In the greylight it looked like a funny looking cat. LOL

Hi ya Brotha Jason,

It was a nice variety pack indeed! I was just lucky I guess!
So I intend to push my luck this week and see what happens! :Wink:

I'll be doing a sun-downer for the next couple of nights to see what I can muster-up in my backyard with my new SWAT LC lure. Stay tuned!
Maybe some legals may still be hanging around the area .... it doesn't hurt to try!

Congrats, Dan.. beauty pics and excursion.. can only marvel at what havoc (?) you'd reek if you ventured out of your back yard.. I tried MY backyard yesterday but couldn't get the goldfish to bite..

Hey Brotha Sid!

I did venture out of my backyard for a session with Mr Bones; to an AO of his choice, last weekend and I had a great time catching lots of different species of fish with our Brotha!
But for now .... I need to stick to my more familiar honey holes in my backyard if I hope to beach more legals.

PS ..... have you tried using :LOL: Velveta Cheese in your backyard pond to entice a Goldfish frenzy? Or .... try going with the Isolunar feeding predictions! :LOL: Ha ha ha! One of them has got to be the ticket! :Wink:

I'll be doing a sun-downer for the next couple of nights to see what I can muster-up in my backyard with my new SWAT LC lure. Stay tuned!

Awesome session Brother Dan! :Thumbs Up:
You are on fire with the legal Halibut... I haven't seen one of those in awhile. :Envious:
It was good to see you Monday morning, I think we spanked them good! :Twisted:

Hi ya Brotha Arthur!

I'll be doing a sun-downer for the next couple of nights, to see what I can stir-up with my new SWAT LC 110 lure. Stay tuned Commander!
Maybe some legals will still be about .... it doesn't hurt to try ... right!

I'll be in the salt both days this weekend if you want to invite me or if you care to join me! :Smile:
Either way .... I look forward to our next :Fishing Catch: hook-up!

Pino
10-17-2013, 01:01 PM
NIce story and photos Dan thanks for sharing.