PDA

View Full Version : DVL shore 10/12/13

ddoskocil
10-14-2013, 10:36 AM
I had to be in Hemet at 9:30 for a cross country practice meet, so what the hell, hit the lake early. Glad I did. It's been 2 months since I've been there due to school back in (PE teacher), I called Matt yesterday, and headed out. Water way down from last time, tones of cover exposed, but tons of new cover, too. Decent amount of weeds near the bank. Lots of bait along the banks, mostly silversides, and a few areas of shad (yes - shad), bluegill, and baby bass. BUT a ton of silversides. Saw bait eating bugs, watched the birds come in and out diving for the silversides, and about every 15 minutes or so the bass would come in, too. Sometimes just a solo fish, but about half the time several at once, coming completely out of the water. Only twice (in 2.5 hours), did I see a huge boil with 10+ fish. Mostly along the weedlines, and occaissionally out in open water. I was missing them early on. I switched colors for no love, then figured out where I was, they were only eating the silversides. Downsized to a tiny fluke - bam fish on. I was throwing a super fluke and a 4" swimbait for no love previously. Caught a few in the next 30 minutes til I had to leave. The bass that I could see just slowly cruising the edges were spooky and weren't real interested. All the bass I caught (1.5 - 3#), were busting fish. If I were in a different area, the larger fluke and swimbait would have worked - match the hatch - but it changes even with a small move in location. Like Matt's great post indicated (I just read it, he gave me some tips on the phone Friday), they are definitely out there, just have to find them and know what they're keyed in on. I can't wait to get the boat out there soon and cover more water. Good luck.

HawgZWylde
10-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Good report with very useful info. Sounds like the bite is still pretty much what we found last Tuesday. Match the hatch and you're in business. Thank you for posting ddoskocil...

seal
10-14-2013, 11:08 AM
Those tiny flukes are the ticket for mimicking the silverside's. Since they are so light we sometimes toss them with a bubble to get um out there.

Match the hatch for sure!

Way to figure it out.