PDA

View Full Version : New AO New Species 10-12-13

Slickwill43
10-14-2013, 09:42 AM
Hit-up a new AO on Saturday from 6-10 up by sunset beach, the action was pretty slow on squid, shrimp, and crack until he sun was good and up.

Then started getting into some small leos and thornback rays, followed by a small shovelnose.

Was starting to think that is all that liked my bait, then we moved to a much flatter area with a muddy bottom and a deeper drop and I got nailed
by what I thought was a big shovelnose at first, when it got into shallow water it started absolutely thrashing though and I was like what is this?

Turned out to be a first for me of a big spotfin croaker (~19"), was a great fight and the biggest non-shark/ray/shovel I have caught from the surf.
Boy did he grunt/croak at me while I took pictures heh, CPRed quick and back into the ocean he went.

Gonna try this area out more at different tides, felt like there was more to find, also the muddy bottom was interesting there were tons and tons of little birds
pecking, so I dug a bit expecting to find crabs, but instead it was hundreds of tiny baby clams, presumably fish eat these as well?

Cant seem to get the pics to upload correctly, keeps giving me a red X instead of the normal green checkmark :(

fishfinder
10-14-2013, 10:33 AM
whats AO?...........

skunked4life
10-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Great job out there slickwill! The spotfin is on my list for 2013 but I am afraid that the surf spotfins will all but disappear very soon until next summer. Thanks for the report!

Crooooak, croak.

Slickwill43
10-14-2013, 12:01 PM
whats AO?...........

Area of Operations

seal
10-14-2013, 12:05 PM
whats AO?...........

Yea some of us need a translator for some of the SWAT or SWAT wantabe's reports, lol.

dlmoo312
10-14-2013, 01:38 PM
Congrats on the new species!
Still haven't caught one of those myself :Envious:
For the pictures, try uploading them onto photobucket first and then copy/pasting the img url.
Thanks for the report!

-Daniel

Jaysuuun
10-14-2013, 04:37 PM
That's a nice mix of fish! A 19in croaker must have put up a hell of a fight! Those fish can get pretty big too. I keep telling myself that I want to target spotfins and corbinas, but that means I would have to lose the LC. I just can't do it! LOL

Clams are excellent bait. Most surf species will readily eat a clam as well as mussels. Clams stay on the hook much better though.

Thanks for the report. Try posting some pics next time

murrieta angler
10-15-2013, 06:47 AM
Good job Slick!
Definitely try the clams, open them up and tie on to your hook with thread.
The SFC's love em.
Robert
<><

Slickwill43
10-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Ok photobucket account made lets see if these work

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af313/wgordon43/photo2_zps313c7a46.jpg

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af313/wgordon43/spotfin1png_zps889727d6.png

SP Dan
10-15-2013, 02:48 PM
Hi ya Slickwill43,

I'm :Envious: jealous ..... I haven't landed myself a SFC as of yet! On my bucket list to do!

Thanx for the fun read! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Slickwill43
10-15-2013, 04:53 PM
My bucket list species is still the elusive legal Halibut :) I think I have to switch completely over to the LC I have tried C-rig, Dropshot, and bait and wait and never got into a decent sized halibut.

Also I likely need to move my fishing areas more often heh

Hi ya Slickwill43,

I'm :Envious: jealous ..... I haven't landed myself a SFC as of yet! On my bucket list to do!

Thanx for the fun read! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><