PDA

View Full Version : Going to Mammoth with my 14 year old on 10/18-20. Areas to fish?

Ultralight
10-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Greetings, I take an annual trip with my boys up to Mammoth area. Last year, we really enjoyed hiking South Lake's inlet among other areas, in part because that is where they did the best. However, a friend mentioned that South Lake is very low this year and suggested I look elsewhere. Would appreciate any tips as to places to visit this year. We use artificials including minijigs and practice C&R.

Thanks!
UL

Viejo
10-13-2013, 07:30 AM
Greetings, I take an annual trip with my boys up to Mammoth area. Last year, we really enjoyed hiking South Lake's inlet among other areas, in part because that is where they did the best. However, a friend mentioned that South Lake is very low this year and suggested I look elsewhere. Would appreciate any tips as to places to visit this year. We use artificials including minijigs and practice C&R.

Thanks!
UL

There are a number of lakes within minutes of Mammoth proper to fish and all offer something. There are a number of lakes within an hour's hike that will put you on fish as well. The June Lakes loop is right up the road. The Lower Owens gives you miles of water to catch trout (and others) in Bishop. Further north, Convict lake and surrounding waters are fishing well (last week).

dbfishing
10-15-2013, 10:53 AM
just got back yesterday from a weeks vacation up there. You should be heading up at a good time now that the fall colors are fading, and photographers will be leaving. Did well in the june loop, but lundy lake was good to us and buckeye creek out of twin lakes was the best lots of trout and light crowds plus it was really neat seeing the salmon and big trout spawning and running up stream. Good luck!