PDA

View Full Version : Smallmouth in Southern CA

SoCalFisher606
10-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Hello all,

I recently got the urge to toss some flies at smallmouth bass, but Ive never done it here. Does anyone know any decent rivers or lakes within an hour or 2 drive of LA? Thanks a lot

CrownTown
10-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Big bear has some excellent SMB fishing depending on the time of year. Black or olive wooley buggers work pretty well, plus you will also pick up little crappie and trout every now and then

carpanglerdude
10-12-2013, 11:25 AM
I believe DVL and Arrowhead both have them. There are a few offlimit places that also have them in the SGV.

bowler
10-12-2013, 11:51 AM
I believe DVL and Arrowhead both have them. There are a few offlimit places that also have them in the SGV.
Arrowhead was the lake that big bear lake got it's smallies from.

etucker1959
10-12-2013, 12:40 PM
I know it's a little farther then you asked to drive, but the lower Kern river has an excellent population of smallies in it.

Ifishtoolittle
10-12-2013, 01:09 PM
There are a few offlimit places that also have them in the SGV.

And they're toxic too! lol

Sebastian323
10-14-2013, 11:40 AM
Black crappie, bluegill, channel catfish, largemouth bass, rainbow trout, redear sunfish, and smallmouth bass have
been previously found in Morris Reservoir

from http://dpw.lacounty.gov/lacfcd/sediment/files/FullDoc.pdf pg 194 (just search bass and see what you find)
and yeah... it's off limit

Jig-Guy
10-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Not close to LA but if you ever get the chance! Lake Mead, Lake Mojave, Lake Havasu and the Colorado river below Parker Dame @ Parker Arizona. Check these locations out you may want to fish these someday.

CaptainSkunk
10-17-2013, 11:12 PM
Try lake pyramid. In my opinion it holds most amount of smallmouth out of all the southern California lake. The thing is I heard it is closed due to the government shut down. Try and search the lake pyramid section of the forum. You also have a chance to get a freshwater bass grand slam there.

jicasiano
10-18-2013, 08:19 AM
Try lake pyramid. In my opinion it holds most amount of smallmouth out of all the southern California lake. The thing is I heard it is closed due to the government shut down. Try and search the lake pyramid section of the forum. You also have a chance to get a freshwater bass grand slam there.

I agree. Definitely Pyramid for smallmouth. I slayed them at Pyramid this past summer with the smallie catches sometimes outnumbering the largies. Check out this article on California smallmouth fishing. There's even a pic of me holding a nice smallmouth I caught out of Pyramid featured in the article:
http://everything-smallmouth.com/california-smallmouth-bass-theres-bronze-in-them-there-hills/
Good luck!!

-b

Stormcrow
10-18-2013, 08:43 AM
DVL has smallmouth. I wacked a big one on a jig a few months back. Pyramid is supposed to have them too.