PDA

View Full Version : After the Storm Carnage

Fishin4runner
10-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Decoded to hit Castaic this morning after the storm. First in line and the morning was kool and damp. Decided to hit the main channel and started the troll in deep water nailed two decent ones back to back then the channel action died as soon as the sun hit the water, so I then moved on down the ski arm near necktie and hooked up with a big pig. First run she pulled almost 100 feet of line got her close to the boat and off she went again another 100 feet, she did this to me 3 times then I feel her shake hard and the line goes slack and she spit the hook. DAMN IT!!! I only got a glimpse of her and she looked around 15-20 lb. Frustrated after that so I put the rigs back out and got my limit of average dinks and called it a day around 12:30. All in all it was a good day and I will be going back soon to hunt that B-It _ch down.

Fishin4runner
10-10-2013, 06:43 PM
The site won't upload the pic, it keeps saying the upload failed.

carpanglerdude
10-11-2013, 07:42 AM
Try imgur.com, photobucket.com, or other hosting sites; the attachment tool here is limited

TroutOnly
10-11-2013, 09:25 AM
hey 4runner welcome to my world ,them pigs are not as easy as some would think to land on the troll ,with all the moving ,other lines in the water and dealing with a big mean pig,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,

Andrew Deal Outdoors
10-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Great report, got me itchin to get out there, decided on heading out this Sunday for the first time. Any tips on what to troll? Not fishing for secrets but any tips would be great. I saw a couple vids on YouTube showing umbrella rigs at slow speeds, should I give that a try?

fishinone
10-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the report. F4R. Congrats on the catching.

It's nice to hear that the big ones are coming up.

I've started leaving the drag looser when I know that I have a big one on. They're so powerful that they tear though themselves to get away. It seems counter productive to let them run so much but they eventually come in and they don't straighten the hooks. I've got hundreds of yards of 80 lb braid, so no problem running out of line.

Fishin4runner
10-11-2013, 11:06 AM
http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz255/ccragg99/DSCF0016_zps19b99d2b.jpg (http://s833.photobucket.com/user/ccragg99/media/DSCF0016_zps19b99d2b.jpg.html)

Fishin4runner
10-11-2013, 11:08 AM
figured out the pics. TO yes with all the moving running the boat and trying to fight a pig it is a challenge to land the pigs. But I will be out to try it again. I just put to much pressure on her and pulled the hooks. I will definatley loosen the drag alittle more on those big girls. Thanks for the tip fishinone.

Fishin4runner
10-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Andrew deal it seems you got the right idea but I will not overstep my bounds and give away the secretes but I will give what I was given. Call trout only and set-up a guide trip or do what I did, 5 trips by myself and proceed thru the learning curve. It is tough but can be done. On my first five trips I got skunked, then only caught one or two fish. Now I catch consistently. It is all a matter of learning what works for you and the learning never stops as the fish change their pattern daily, hourly, and almost every pass over them. when you think you got'em figured they change up. Don't be afraid to experiment.

Andrew Deal Outdoors
10-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Thanks 4 the reply Fishin, nice catch, from the picture they look like some good sized fish. I am going to give it a try on my boat this time so I can have a frame of reference for when I do call up TO. I hope to be posting some successful pictures like you one day.

catchingsomefish
10-11-2013, 05:18 PM
congrats on some nice fish, sucks about the big one escaping.....I guess that's why we keep coming back....The part about T/O is sage advice, I have spent several trips the past couple of summers and fall with Bob, and he has taught me all aspects of striper fishing, but his trolling lesson knowledge is the best..............Dave

MikesOcean
10-13-2013, 10:18 PM
Good chit bro on the persistence!

Sorry bout the loss! Those are hard to digest. You will get em next time.