PDA

View Full Version : spider crabs?

Nuoc Mam
10-10-2013, 11:06 AM
Any around at the local OC piers?

Thanks.

jaggerbub
10-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Saw a guy catch a huge one at Balboa pier a couple weeks ago. The biggest I've ever seen get pulled up. The shell was about the size of a bowling ball. He tossed it back over not knowing what it was. He was using salmon steaks for bait.

DockRat
10-10-2013, 11:39 PM
Kept a huge once on a dive. Had to rip the legs off to fit it in my dive bag. The big legs had little meat in them, kinda stringy. Tasted terrible. Never going to keep another one.
DR

Nuoc Mam
10-11-2013, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I would have put the salmon steak meat on the grilled instead of in the crab net hahaha
DR - That's weird, all the spider crabs that I've gotten and kept and eat, the body meat tasted super sweet. I'm not a fan of the legs though, too much work but will occasionally crack them to get the meat =0)

DockRat
10-11-2013, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I would have put the salmon steak meat on the grilled instead of in the crab net hahaha
DR - That's weird, all the spider crabs that I've gotten and kept and eat, the body meat tasted super sweet. I'm not a fan of the legs though, too much work but will occasionally crack them to get the meat =0)
Never tried the body meat, it was back in the early 80's when I tried it.

smokehound
10-11-2013, 06:32 PM
It's the males you want. Females have little meat, especially during the spawn.

Nonetheless, they aren't worth the effort IMO. I actually prefer the purple swimmer crabs much more, they are in the same genus as the blue crab, and taste identical. People often dump them as Bycatch, despite the large amount of meat.

Rock crabs are even better..

Pecci
10-11-2013, 08:14 PM
I tried and had to send back, what they called "Local Crab" in a Santa Barbara Restaurant I think it was Rock Crab. To me it tasted like tuna. Not what I expected. They said it was the favorite there.

Too me nothing beats Snow Crab.

BALLERONBUDGET
10-11-2013, 11:47 PM
$6/LB on the fishmarkets san pedro and rb boardwalk... the quys selling them said its the back meat from them u want... at that price still overpriced i think, cuz each one is 2 or 3lbs most of which is hard shell weight!!! old horseshoe pier wud catch them on rod /reel