PDA

View Full Version : It's a Perch'n Kind of Day

ErikAllen17
10-09-2013, 06:26 PM
After having a bunch of sessions where I've either been skunked or caught a whopper 3" perch... today was a welcomed surprise! After talking with Nick about other locations to try, he clued me in on this one. I went there, in the midst of it raining (lightly) and figured I'd give it a shot. The waves were rugged, tide was coming in and the wind was blowing rain in my face, but I stuck with it.

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/Sycamore_10-09-2013_01.jpg

I landed my 1st BSP after about 20 minutes of throwing the LC. It was a beefy 13" BSP and the skunk was off... WAY off! I haven't caught something of substantial size for several weeks now. I kept throwing the LC... boom, boom, boom... I was landing so many perch, it was ALMOST annoying. I said ALMOST! I was looking for that illusive WSB or Hali, but they never showed. I landed perch after perch, 12", 13", 12", 10", 11", 15"... after the 8th BSP, I decided to switch rods and throw a dropshot with a GULP! shrimp attached. Started getting bites right away... most wouldn't hook up. However, I did land several smaller perch... all 9" or over though. After my 13th BSP, my line snagged hard and snapped off. Well, time to throw the LC again. I noticed the bite dropping off a little and caught one more smaller 10" BSP after about 15-20 minutes.

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/Sycamore_10-09-2013_02.jpg

I then threw a few more... and started REALLY getting cold. The wind was ferocious and I was soaked from the waves crashing up on the rocks I was fishing from. I told myself, 3 more casts and I'm wrapping it up. I threw the first... nothing. Then the second... nothing. I threw the third and started my retrieve... I was about 80% in when BOOM... my reel starts screaming. Something on the other end was peeling my line pretty good. However, it still felt like a BSP... I brought it in and it was a monster BSP. I taped it out at 16"... my personal best! I took a quick selfie pic of it through my Simms cell phone holder and threw it back. What a great way to end the session. All in all, I was there for 2 1/2 hours and reeled in 15 BSP... all measuring in 9"-16"!

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/Sycamore_10-09-2013_03.jpg

It was a perch'n kind of day for sure...

Wingnut
10-09-2013, 06:52 PM
A 16" BSP is a PIG! :Envious:
Nice job Erik. :Thumbs Up:

fishshep
10-09-2013, 08:21 PM
:LOL:Throwing the LC in those choppy conds. :Shocked:

I have got to change my mind set about the usual c-rig or Drop method in those
conds. after seeing your report !!! and Congrats. on the catchin !!! :Big Grin:

anchor3n1
10-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Way to go Erik. Your my new perch'n hero. That's showing those mice from Monday what's what. So glad this spot gave it up to ya. I have another AO where I think we'll get some flatties - I'm feelin it this time:Shocked:

skunked4life
10-10-2013, 07:32 AM
Oh man! You braved the elements and got out there to be rewarded BIG time! 16 inch BSP is a pretty rare feat! Congrats and continued success out there on the sand. STay warm!

Skunked4life

bachiboy
10-11-2013, 12:40 AM
Nice job Erik! Those are some really big bsp's you nailed there. Don't worry, that glory fish is coming soon!:Wink:

Keep it up!
Don