PDA

View Full Version : "Yesterday"

Bassfan
10-09-2013, 09:34 AM
After not getting out for over a week, decided to take a day off work and take advantage of the low wind forecast and weekday light boat traffic. Arrived at 5:30 and was first boat in line. Had some time to chat with TO and then when we got in, I got to the launch first and saw fish chasing shad right from the shoreline of the docks out to the jet ski buoys. Lots of shad around and for the first 20 minutes or so it was wide open casting in that whole area. Saw everybody hooking up schoolies myself included but my heaviest fish got off half way to the boat.

Moved out to the ski arm to look for more surface activity and found only a few scattered fish popping on shad. Cast into a cove that had been good lately and got one small striper, one big green fish and a few grabs that never got the hook.

Started trolling sometime after 8 and had regular hits for the smaller size schoolies and a couple bigger ones around 3 lbs. Lost one more of the bigger ones half way to the boat.

Around 10:30 the wind increased slightly but not bad and the bite for me shut off. I had landed 10 at that point and continued to troll the ski arm for another hour for no fish. I was seeing nice size groups on the finder but they just wouldn’t hit. Tried a little faster, a little slower, longer line, shorter line, hat on backwards but nada.

Went to the Fish arm and same deal, trolled through schools for no more than the occasional tail grab and after 3 hours of driving the boat around and not landing a fish I decided to go back to the ski arm.

Dropped the rigs and for some reason I got the Beatles song “Yesterday” on my mind so as I started trolling again I started singing Yesterday. Right away, both rods went off and after pulling in my first two fish in hours, I came around, reset the rigs and, you guessed it, started singing Yesterday. In about a minute both rods went off again! Two more fish landed and of course out go the rigs and another chorus of Yesterday. Not to be disappointed the one rod goes off again with a double.

Now I have 6 fish caught in less than 30 minutes and I’m thinking I need to sing over where I caught the bigger ones earlier this morning so I head over to that area and try to sing some bigger fish into the boat.
Well they called my bluff and ignored me for the most part. Only an occasional hit with a smaller one and less action than I got in the last spot.

It was getting to be time to head home but with 22 fish landed, it was really a nice day of fishing. My wife is convinced that the fish were sacrificing themselves to try and get me to stop singing and she’s probably right but Saturday I might have to try a little “Yesterday” just to put the superstition to rest.

fishinone
10-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Great report Bassfan!

I'm happy that i wasn't there though! :Big Grin:

Maybe I'll have to try that. Anybody want to be there?

catchingsomefish
10-09-2013, 01:32 PM
That is pretty comical, I have never tried to serenade the fish while trolling!! However, I couldn't carry a tune if it had a handle.....Congrats on the fish, and if the action get a little slow next time I am out.......who knows, maybe I can get a few to give themselves up also LOL..................Dave

TroutOnly
10-09-2013, 06:11 PM
it was nice seeing you jim,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bob,,,,,,,,,,,

DMS
10-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Great report. I will see you and the guys out there Saturday. We got back from baja with some tuna, dorado and wahoo. We chased the marlin for a couple chances and no hook ups and rescued a sea turtle. Back to stripers...

fishinone
10-10-2013, 06:52 AM
Great report. I will see you and the guys out there Saturday. We got back from baja with some tuna, dorado and wahoo. We chased the marlin for a couple chances and no hook ups and rescued a sea turtle. Back to stripers...

See! I told you that you needed a porter.

DMS
10-10-2013, 07:06 AM
See! I told you that you needed a porter.

Lol... Lulu caught her first tunas and dorado! You should have seen the nasty huge squids we pulled up to use for CUTBAIT!

trail blazer
10-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Niceeeeeeee