PDA

View Full Version : Quagmire mussels question, giggity giggity

Andrew Deal Outdoors
10-08-2013, 10:34 AM
This is my first post on this site, first want to say thanks for all the great tips and photos you all put out there for us to see. I never fished Castaic but plan to do so this Friday or Sunday. If I catch nothing and just manage to pass inspection, miss the wind, and do some boating the trip will be a success for me.

The quagga mussels situation is new to me, I watched a 6 part video on youtube on how to prepare. I am bringing my 15 foot whaler for the visit. I cleaned it, dried it, dried it again, and hope that between now and then and the way to the lake it does not it get wet. I have 100% saltwater fished so far with this boat.

I am bringing my wheelchair bound cousin for a birthday fishing trip, he lives in Valencia so Castaic is the best option, plus he loves to fish but never gets to go. Are there wheel chair accessible fishing spots on the lake if the wind is too high to launch?

Can a cooler with ice be brought on the water or must it all be dry foods and sealed bottles only? How do you keep your catches cold?

Plan of attack is to troll some swim baits, throw plastic, and fish cut sardines.

Big thanks for any answers and will share my experience of the trip on here.

fishinone
10-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Leave everything in the car until after the quagmire inspection, then load the boat. It makes it easier for them to look around and that way they don't look in your cooler.

You could come up earlier for the inspection if you don't live to far.

I believe that they'll let you fish from the dock on the West Ramp. That's the best place for wheelchair access that I know.

flyhigh123
10-08-2013, 11:35 AM
its very rare for them to close the launch due to wind, so i think you are safe.

jowo
10-08-2013, 11:46 AM
it's supposed to rain tomorrow, so make sure it's covered well if it's stored outdoors.

Andrew Deal Outdoors
10-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks, will do with the cooler and hit the west ramp if too windy, I have been watching the webcam and it looks like a nice day today.

I live too far to drive up for the inspection alone.

catchingsomefish
10-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Like Ron eluded to, load the boat after the inspection, you can bring your own food and drinks, and have an ice chest or something else you can put ice into, to keep your catch fresh. The wind can be an issue, especially if it blow from the north, or northeast, there have been a few days this past month where they wouldn't let us launch....................Dave

fishinone
10-08-2013, 12:59 PM
its very rare for them to close the launch due to wind, so i think you are safe.

I wouldn't say it's rare. I get hit with it several times every year around this time.

Andrew Deal Outdoors
10-08-2013, 03:08 PM
I wouldn't say it's rare. I get hit with it several times every year around this time.

Here is the forecast, Thursday through Sunday all look good, we will see....

Wed
Oct 9 Showers 70° 44° Showers CHANCE OF RAIN: 60% WIND: SW at 18 mph

Thu
Oct 10 Sunny 74° 46° Sunny CHANCE OF RAIN: 0% WIND: WSW at 9 mph

Fri
Oct 11 Sunny 77° 48° Sunny CHANCE OF RAIN: 0% WIND: W at 10 mph

Sat
Oct 12 Sunny 80° 49° Sunny CHANCE OF RAIN: 0% WIND: WNW at 10 mph

Sun
Oct 13 Sunny 81° 48° Sunny CHANCE OF RAIN: 0% WIND: WSW at 10 mph

koifish
10-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Here is the forecast, Thursday through Sunday all look good, we will see....

Wed
Oct 9 Showers 70° 44° Showers CHANCE OF RAIN: 60% WIND: SW at 18 mph

Thu
Oct 10 Sunny 74° 46° Sunny CHANCE OF RAIN: 0% WIND: WSW at 9 mph

Fri
Oct 11 Sunny 77° 48° Sunny CHANCE OF RAIN: 0% WIND: W at 10 mph

Sat
Oct 12 Sunny 80° 49° Sunny CHANCE OF RAIN: 0% WIND: WNW at 10 mph

Sun
Oct 13 Sunny 81° 48° Sunny CHANCE OF RAIN: 0% WIND: WSW at 10 mph

wed....wow...striper's weather....nice hit the duct soon...

lowe
10-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Make sure you lower your prop to drain water if any a day or two before you hit the lake, I have seen boats turn away after asked to lower their prop comes a stream of water.

Andrew Deal Outdoors
10-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Make sure you lower your prop to drain water if any a day or two before you hit the lake, I have seen boats turn away after asked to lower their prop comes a stream of water.

Thanks for the tip, do they require you start your outboard to see what blows out?

olfishergal
10-09-2013, 10:53 AM
save yourself all the trouble and book with TO especially if you want to catch stripers and learn the lake.......

flyhigh123
10-09-2013, 10:55 AM

I'm a gambling man lol

Andrew Deal Outdoors
10-09-2013, 04:24 PM
save yourself all the trouble and book with TO especially if you want to catch stripers and learn the lake.......

Believe you me, I see all the picture Trout Only is posting and wow, that's fishing, many of the things I will try on Sunday are based on his reports. I think I will book with TO in the future but for this first trip I need to validate all the hard work I have been putting into my boat, I redid all the wiring, new sounder, new, radios, new switch panel, batteries, trailer lights.

With that said, if you see me on Sunday, I will be the guy laughing hysterically when I fail boat inspection and have to rent a boat.

Do you know if handicap pass will get me up to the front on the line Sunday morning or is a 4:30 am arrival time good plan to get out early?

lowe
10-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the tip, do they require you start your outboard to see what blows out?

No you dont have to start your motor, make sure you are dry as a bone you should pass with no problems. Dito on hiring T.O as a guide very smart move hands down ..lo

fishinone
10-09-2013, 05:04 PM
4:30 should work.

I've never heard of any line bumps due to a handicap pass.

Bassfan
10-09-2013, 05:41 PM
Believe you me, I see all the picture Trout Only is posting and wow, that's fishing, many of the things I will try on Sunday are based on his reports. I think I will book with TO in the future but for this first trip I need to validate all the hard work I have been putting into my boat, I redid all the wiring, new sounder, new, radios, new switch panel, batteries, trailer lights.

With that said, if you see me on Sunday, I will be the guy laughing hysterically when I fail boat inspection and have to rent a boat.

Do you know if handicap pass will get me up to the front on the line Sunday morning or is a 4:30 am arrival time good plan to get out early?

As far as hiring TO goes, there is nothing in posts or in words that can come close to a day of learning with "The Striper Wisperer"
You will not be disappointed.
Sunday starts the 7:00 open time so 4:30 will give you a 2 1/2 hour wait to get in. If you don't have to be first in line you could probably be OK getting there a little after that.