PDA

View Full Version : DVL help

got2fishsd
10-07-2013, 10:21 PM
I have never been up to DVL and am thinking about taking my son there this week. He will turn 4 in The end of Nov and he loves to fish. I have a 15' aluminum with a 15 hp 4 stroke on it. I used to fish fresh water a lot growing up then started fishing the salt and kind of quit fishing fresh water.

Last year was the first time my son was old enough to spend all day in the boat so we fished Irvine quit a few times for trout. I like to troll with him because I still get a little nervous with his casting skills.

I would like to give DVL a try and troll for stripers. I have two downriggers on the boat and rods with lead core. Just wondering how the bite is right now and where to start. My plan to to start with the downriggers at 30' and keep working lower until I find the fish. I do have a decent ff on the boat as well so that should help find the schools.

What would you recommend trolling on the downriggers and lead core? Looking to go wends of this week. Thanks guys.

prankster13
10-08-2013, 06:30 AM
I have a downrigger on my boat and usually fish floating Rapala's in about 30ft. or where the fish finder tells me to. The real striper guys use the lead core line on the troll using large white and mylar flies. I don't know how deep they fish but the ff will help in that area. You will see them trolling along jerking the rod tip to give the fly action. Try the south side of the lake near the trees, also the south west end of the lake off of points. I also have good success on swim baits but that might not be cool with a youngster in a small boat, but keep it in mind. Early morning are good but the bite can be good through out the day. It is supposed to rain late Wed. so I might be out there myself and will keep an eye out for you. Good luck!!!

Stormcrow
10-08-2013, 07:53 AM
I have been doing some pre-fish LMB work out there lately with the low water level and the striper guys I have chatted with have been trolling the south shore focusing in the 25-35 foot area. They were trolling white flys.