PDA

View Full Version : Any one got good spots for surf fishing

Squid79
10-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Well fall is hear WHAT IS being caught in our local beaches in so cal42885

ErikAllen17
10-17-2013, 08:08 AM
I imagine you're not going to get very many replies with people offering up their honey holes... that's like asking the colonel for the secret recipe for KFC chicken. Many of the people on here hold their fishing locations (or AO's which means area of operation) near and dear. That's because they've put in the time on the sand and found a spot where they can return to and catch fish trip after trip. If they shared that info, the area would go dry and they would have to start all over again. Just know that there are fish to be caught up and down the coast. You can drive to just about any beach and if the conditions are right and your setup is correct for those conditions, you'll catch fish.

As far as what is being caught: perch, yellowfin croakers, halibut, jack smelt, calicos, white sea bass, corbina, various rays and sharks. Good luck and have fun out there!

skunked4life
10-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Hi Squid!

Why not try that honey hole you got there in your picture? I see a pretty nice trench building there.

First, winter perching is a socal favorite. Alot of fun and does not require too much effort in locating them. Before, I used to carry around two rods. One for Gulp Camo worms (c-rigged) and the other for tossing the LC. I used to use the camo to find the fish...it is alot easier to find the perch this way. Then, I toss out the LC hoping to land a bigger model perch.

As to your real question, my answer is "it depends." What are you hunting for exactly? BSP can be found virtually anywhere. Having said that, there are certain spots that produce bigger models than others. Halibut can be found in many locations but you never know with these things. Calicos and the other pelagic species can be found near structure (especially kelp beds).

So, to answer your question in an indirect manner, go to your nearest beach. Look at what type of beach it is (ie: sandy, rocky, big jetties, little jetties...) read the reports on the forums and you will find a pattern (ie: calicos near kelp beds, etc...).

When I first started, I just hit up whatever beach I could. My backyard beaches were sandy bottom beaches but I saw lots of those tiny clam shells everywhere and realized that the perch, corbina and spot fins would be there. So, I targeted BSP there. Eventually I landed a half a dozen flatties of the right kind there too!

Point is, you gotta put in the effort and make it a part of your session. Fishing to me = time to do what I like + time to learn + time to get exercise + time to reflect and ponder life's mysteries + time to hone my patience and persistence. Add in some fun if you are out there alone and a whole lot of fun when you are with friends.

Go out there and have fun!

Skunked4life, aka Corporal Croaker, aka Ken

Nipple Twister
10-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Point is, you gotta put in the effort and make it a part of your session. Fishing to me = time to do what I like + time to learn + time to get exercise + time to reflect and ponder life's mysteries + time to hone my patience and persistence. Add in some fun if you are out there alone and a whole lot of fun when you are with friends.

Go out there and have fun!

Skunked4life, aka Corporal Croaker, aka Ken

Well said, well said indeed!!!!!

DockRat
10-17-2013, 07:54 PM
Well said, well said indeed!!!!!
X3

So Cal is Pt Conception to Mexico.
What is your closest beach to you ?
Target species ? Bait or lures ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS_knQNDCNs

Squid79
10-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Yeah I landed a guitar fish friday out of dockweiler he put a good fight he 37 inches and on saturday morning i went to malibu and it was a salad bowl so the i drove up like 2 miles to leo carrillo state beach anf the kids cought somE bsp it was fun.

Squid79
10-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Yeah that true Im in the look out for some new lol