PDA

View Full Version : Quickie at the Horseshoe 9-30

Doomsdaymachine
10-03-2013, 12:24 AM
Have some time off of work, so decided to go fishing with my mom! Since she just moved from the IE to the beach, we figured we'd hit an old spot that we haven't fished in a looong while. Got to the Redondo Beach pier at around 1:15p and stayed until 5:30p, using some mac I had kept frozen from the last trip to Huntington. My uncle and aunt joined us about a half hour in.

From what I remember, the Shoe has been pretty much dead for a long while, but we found a decent enough day. Started out with a ton of little lizardfish, and everyone brought one in, so no stripes! Right around 2:30p, started getting the mac, and a couple good sized ones in the mix. Ended up hanging on to four macs and a big jacksmelt, but gave them away to another angler. The smelt was over 12".

The biggest surprise that day was that a couple of other anglers brought up 3 Bonito right before my very eyes! Miss catchin' those guys.

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u547/doomsday_machine/0930131707b_zpsac81354d.jpg (http://s1321.photobucket.com/user/doomsday_machine/media/0930131707b_zpsac81354d.jpg.html)

TUNAVIC
10-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Yeah that cold water has things pretty slow on the Shoe,except for a pick on the rockfish,oh well at least you got to stretch some line,cool.

Cya TUNAVIC

bachiboy
10-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Nicely done. From what I've seen written in other posts, the boney's just made their presence felt not too long ago (within the last couple weeks was it DR?). Better late than never.:Wink: Good looking macs and torpedos you've got there.

Thanks for sharing...
Don

DockRat
10-05-2013, 06:58 AM
Them bones always come and go in KH. Were the Bonito small about 2 - 3 lbs ? Thanks for the report.
DR

Doomsdaymachine
10-06-2013, 03:11 AM
An update!

Just realized that there are two horseshoes. I'm used to the RB pier being called the shoe, and just remembered the kelp ring. I went to the pier, of course.

Went back again yesterday and landed a small mack. My wife managed a nice aji, and there were a lot of smelt and lizards to be had. I was throwing a small Big Hammer, chovie, and took several hits just shy of the hook. Many chasers, too. One hit was very close to the pier, and was a HEYUUGE bone. Biggest bonito I've seen in a decade. Easily over 24", and it shredded the tail of my BH. Missed them all.

Saw a couple more bonito landed, and yes. They were all smaller models. One was likely under a pound.

PS: Yep. Gonna eat the mack and aji. Taking pics and such to add a recipe to the faves list. Mackerel aren't just bait!

Jig-Guy
10-06-2013, 07:48 PM
Never ate any mackerel but do look forward to your cooking recipe. We caught tons of them when I worked on a commercial fishing boat out of San Pedro in 1956. We sold the fish to the fish market supplier in san Pedro. I don't know what they did with all of that fish. Thanks for your report.

murrieta angler
10-08-2013, 07:22 PM
Good job spending time with the family Bro...:Big Grin:
My sushi guys love it when I bring them macs.
Robert
<><

skunked4life
10-09-2013, 07:26 AM
I haven't fished a pier in ages! Thanks for bringing up good memories! Nice to just toss out the line and sit and relax...unless you go on a mac attack!

Thanks for the report.

Skunked4life

P.S. I agree that macs are good eating but usually when my mommy buys them from the market. Keep a few and go catfishing!