PDA

View Full Version : Jenks and GVL 411

Troutin Man
10-02-2013, 11:46 PM
Went to both Jenks and Green Valley Lake and here is my report:

Jenks: Weather was great! Threw out powerbait, mealworms, and jigs. All did great! Caught about 18 trout in 4 hours. Kept 5 that I caught on powerbait and mealworms. I caught 13 or so on jigs. About 4 were caught 20 feet or closer to shore on a white and chartreuse jig. Caught 9 or so more trout using a jig with a water bubble. I filled a medium sized water bubble 7/8 full of water, had a bead and tippet, then a leader of about 4 feet with a jig. Launched it out pretty far, counted to 10 to let it sink a bit, and started reelin in erratically, different speeds and wham! Caught 9 of them this way. What a great day full of action!

GVL: Went and did not have much success. Lake manager said they are no longer stocking for the remainder of the year. However, they are still charging! Huh??? It was a slow day. There were quite a few fisherman and a few people caught using powerbait from the south shore. I guess they are holding about 16 to 26 feet down? That's what they said. I caught 2 small DFW sized trout...1 on powerbait and one on a jig...and I was there 6 hours!!! Those were expensive fish!

Right now I recommend Jenks over GVL since you still have to pay GVL and the action was slow. I think the fishing pressure is so high at GVL and the fish left have seen everything thrown at them. Jenks was so fun and there was a lot of catch and release at Jenks. At GVL, people were keeping them...I guess cuz they had to pay. i know I kept my two because I paid!

Fresh H2O Bill
10-03-2013, 06:04 AM
T Man,

Nice job up there and thanks for the detailed report. It sounds like Jenks is the place to be if you're looking to find some action. Bear has been really slooooow.

Bill

Matthew 4:19

Troutin Man
10-03-2013, 10:12 PM
T Man,

Nice job up there and thanks for the detailed report. It sounds like Jenks is the place to be if you're looking to find some action. Bear has been really slooooow.

Bill

Matthew 4:19

Hey Bill...totally right. Jenks is the place to be. It was so fun and relaxing, and the trout were hungry!

Troutin Man
10-06-2013, 11:26 PM
Anyone been up to jenks? I am thinking about going up on wed...forecast...mid 40s and rain. Doesn't that sound like fun?

any theories on how trout bite on weather days such as cold and a bit of rain?

cpollacchi
10-07-2013, 10:42 AM
I'd love to know too. I'm thinking of going Wednesday in-lieu of Green Valley Lake. I'm concerned about the weather and the recent government shut down...

Troutin Man
10-07-2013, 11:51 PM
GVL is still charging money to fish there...even in the rain/snow, wind, and no stockings. :/

Hit up Jenks! I'll be there as well.

cpollacchi
10-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Yeah, I think that's the plan. I should be there early, before the sun (if there is any.) I'll look out for you...

GVL is still charging money to fish there...even in the rain/snow, wind, and no stockings. :/

Hit up Jenks! I'll be there as well.

Troutin Man
10-08-2013, 10:50 PM
cpollacchi,

it would have been cool to be there, but i will need to be at work...so i am going to miss out. damn. maybe i will try and go this weekend.

good luck up there...wish you great luck and decent weather.

The Fishing Queen
10-09-2013, 08:47 AM
18 trout in 4 hours? Wow, you must have had a blast with so much action. That was an awesome fishing trip at Jenks. I should have read your report and headed down there when I was in BBL. Only 30 mins away (I believe) from where I was. Jenks is a hidden gem and I always have good luck with that little lake.

Good to know that you had fun catching! I have to pay a visit there again!

cpollacchi
10-10-2013, 09:58 AM
cpollacchi,

it would have been cool to be there, but i will need to be at work...so i am going to miss out. damn. maybe i will try and go this weekend.

good luck up there...wish you great luck and decent weather.

It was wide open - and closed...

I left Huntington Beach at 3:45 and got to the lake around 5:45. This was my first time to Jenks. There is a gate right after where you turn off the road that was wide open, however the gate 500 feet down the road was closed up tight. Sign says, "Closed for the season." Wow, that sucks... So I debated for a few minutes whether to park on the side of the road and risk a ticket or just bail. No way I thought, I'm not driving all this way and not even seeing the lake I came to fish... I parked ahead of the gate that was open in case they decided to lock that one too. The weather hadn't turned bad yet and there was a mist in the air that was just awesome. If I'm going to hike in (I had no idea how far, but I could see it on Google maps so I knew it wasn't miles) I might s well bring a pole too. I grabbed my UL St. Croix, tied on a Thomas Buoyant spoon, pliers and light net and set off. Those of you that have been there before know this was no epic hike, it really is not that far around a corner. When I got to the lake the weather was perfect, low light, mist, fog, and the lake was flat as glass. Also, lost of weeds and signs saying "Area Closed for the Season!" If you're a fish and game warden reading this, this is when I turned around and left never to return. If not, I couldn't resist throwing one out a time or two. First cast, hit on the sink. Hooked up, lost in weeds. Second cast, hit right when I start my return. Hooked up, lost in weeds. No problem, just need to find a place with less weeds and it will be on! However, I'm a programmed rule follower and I get the guilt. The fishing dock gets you way out past the weeds, but has signs all over saying closed. This is the part of the story where my wife would call me a p***Y, I decided to go. I hiked back out to my car, packed my things and drove out. So to sum it up, Fishing at Jenks Lake is wide open I'm certain, but the facility is closed. Ninja fish if you dare. I really don't even know the consequence of being caught fishing there when the area is posted closed. Can they really close up nature?

seal
10-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Normally you are allowed to fish it off season you just need to hike in and no tickets issued. I don't know that with the National Forest issues that there might be different rules right now. Viejo or others probably have the 411 and hopefully will chime in.

Viejo
10-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Normally you are allowed to fish it off season you just need to hike in and no tickets issued. I don't know that with the National Forest issues that there might be different rules right now. Viejo or others probably have the 411 and hopefully will chime in.

I'd fish it and I will fish it in a month or so.. Park outside he second gate just in case. The season is officially closed but they have long allowed folks to park outside and walk in. The usual disclaimer applies....leave the place better then you found it and respect the resource. I would sure leave it alone once it starts to freeze over but I can't tolerate cold and the lake doesn't freeze hard enough to walk on safely. I'd call my buddies at the Forest for confirmation but....well you know the rest.

Troutin Man
10-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Wow! You went out there! Awesome. It's a beautiful lake eh?

Two tosses and you go a bit of action. Fishing is good out there I tell you. Just got to hike in a bit at this time of year. My friends and I have fished it before for holdovers after the close of the season and had no issues. Of course I was planning to go, park, hike in and fish, but work prevented that. I don't think any wardens or anything go out there after the close of the season. However, I could be way wrong and have very little experience fishing mountain lakes after the planting season except for BBL.

It is interesting that the trout planting schedule on DFG says it will plant Jenks again...this week in fact..week of 10/6...which is most likely today or tomorrow...looks like 1 more plant and the lake is closed.

sooo...this means fish for ninja anglers over the next month!

Troutin Man
10-10-2013, 09:27 PM
18 trout in 4 hours? Wow, you must have had a blast with so much action. That was an awesome fishing trip at Jenks. I should have read your report and headed down there when I was in BBL. Only 30 mins away (I believe) from where I was. Jenks is a hidden gem and I always have good luck with that little lake.

Good to know that you had fun catching! I have to pay a visit there again!

I had a lot of fun catching. The action was great. I love jiggin' especially. I tipped my jig with a piece of pint trout worm and it was great! BBL is great too...just a tougher season. Dfg doesn't seem to be really stocking as much and BBl has so much angler traffic...i am wondering if the trout population is actually dwindling???

Nice to hear from you and hope you get to fish more this year.

cpollacchi
10-11-2013, 12:35 PM
I was pretty sure nobody was going to come down to the lake to check, but the parking is what sketched me out. At the hiking trail-head not more than .5 miles up the road, they say you need an adventure pass (that I don't have) to park so I didn't see how parking on the side of the road was any different...

Troutin Man
10-11-2013, 10:46 PM
I was pretty sure nobody was going to come down to the lake to check, but the parking is what sketched me out. At the hiking trail-head not more than .5 miles up the road, they say you need an adventure pass (that I don't have) to park so I didn't see how parking on the side of the road was any different...

I always have an adventure pass in my car just in case. Currently I have two in my glove. 5 bucks at big 5 sporting goods!

Troutin Man
10-11-2013, 10:47 PM

I always have an adventure pass in my car just in case. Currently I have two in my glove. 5 bucks at big 5 sporting goods!

cpollacchi
10-13-2013, 11:45 AM

So very smart! At $5 I'll get one for my car and one for my motorcycle. I love the streams you can get to by dirt bike only...

seal
10-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Well unless things changed I believe it's $30 or 35 bucks for an annual and for a daily it's 5 bucks. Now you can buy the annual and get a second for 5 bucks so maybe that's where the confusion lies.

Viejo
10-13-2013, 12:47 PM
Well unless things changed I believe it's $30 or 35 bucks for an annual and for a daily it's 5 bucks. Now you can buy the annual and get a second for 5 bucks so maybe that's where the confusion lies.

Right on target. Folks who are seniors or disabled can get an annual pass for a lot less. Mine is no longer offered but allows free admission to all National parks and forests for two and half price on campgrounds.

Troutin Man
10-13-2013, 05:33 PM
Right on target. Folks who are seniors or disabled can get an annual pass for a lot less. Mine is no longer offered but allows free admission to all National parks and forests for two and half price on campgrounds.

That's a pretty good deal. I only go to areas that require an adventure pass 2 to 4 times a year so it wouldn't be worth it for me to get the annual. I pay 15 to 20 a year. Twice to west fork a year and 1 or 2 times to the Jenks/Seven Oaks area.