PDA

View Full Version : HG5 - our first, not our last

anchor3n1
09-30-2013, 10:35 PM
Noelle Alexa and I started surf fishing this August on a camping trip to Sycamore Canyon. We picked up Bill Varny’s book and ended up catching a bunch of perch over the 4 day trip (CPR’d em all). The girls were “hooked” -cool! My wife and I realized that surf fishing is a great daddy-daughter activity so we now try and soot for 3 times a month. Mom loves it cuz it gives her a break, too. So when we heard about HG5 we signed right up hoping it would be a great way to meet others who loved fishing and maybe we might learn a thing or two also.

It was completely unexpected when the girls actually placed in the derby. But truth be told, Alexa (the younger one) had been telling me for the last couple of weeks, “Daddy, I really want to win a trophy”. (She even prayed about it). So it warmed my heart to see the big smile on her face when Arthur called her up to get a trophy (and Noelle’s smile too).

However, the best part of the day for us was the almost continual encouragement and personal contact from Steve, Don, Dan, Sid and several other SWATsters (I wish I could remember your names). This is what made it so fun for us!!! Plus we also got to meet Tim (city dad) and his awesome girls. We hope to meet up with them sometime at a VC AO.

This was our first time at an HG event. What a great gift this is to people and families like us. It is obvious that it took a lot of time and effort to put this on. We are grateful to you Arthur and all of you SWAT members, too. Noelle, Alexa and I are looking forward to coming again next year (Mom is looking forward to another 8 hour break too!).

All the best,

Nick, Noelle, and Alexa Ross

Ps here are some pics we took at the end

skunked4life
10-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Nick,

Thank you for coming out to HG5 and a big thank you for bringing your family! So happy that your girls did well out there but more importantly, I am happy that there are like minded people out there such as yourself who care to pass along the torch to their children and spend quality time with them. The Hunting for Giants events need the younger generation such as your daughters to continue to strive in the future! Here is to the next generation of surf fisherpersons!

Thanks for sharing!

Skunked4life, aka Corporal Croaker, aka Ken

bachiboy
10-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Nick, Noelle and Alexa,

This is what we do this for. You guys were awesome! I've been fishing the surf most of my life and you three made it look easy. The girls were pros out there slaying the perch. It was kinda funny...you see everyone jockeying for position, taking long walks to spots with more structure, and you three walk down from the tents and make it happen. Just awesome to see. I'm so glad that I got to meet you all. There were some very special memories created that day and a very good launching pad for more in the future. Thank you for helping make this event such a success and looking forward to seeing you all again soon!

Don

PONTOON
10-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Nick,
First I'd like to commend you for spending quality time with your family and it is so cool to hear that your daughters Noelle and Alexa enjoy the sport of fishing. When I caught your post this morning it brought a smile to my face because this is exactly the kind of reply some of who were involved with Dana's events and now the Hunting Giants want to see. It just confirms that the Mission Statement Family, Friends, Fun and Fishing is being preserved in Dana's honor. :Cool:

Congratulations to you and both Noelle and Alexa for spending time together and to the girls for placing in the derby. :Thumbs Up:

murrieta angler
10-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Howdy Nick,
It was very cool to watch the girls bring in fish after fish...:Smile:
I was on my butt most of the day, under the tent, but had a clear view of you 3.
Congratulations to the both of them for placing, Kelly ( City Girl ) was the favorite to win it again...:Razz:
I am really glad that the three of you were able to make it out and enjoy yourselves.
We do this just for people like you all.
Thanks for sharing,
Robert
<><

dlmoo312
10-02-2013, 02:01 PM
I've looked through Bill Varny's book myself, and it's definitely a great guide on getting started.
I remember seeing your girls bringing in consecutive perch while many others were struggling to land one!
Congratulations to your daughters for placing in the derby and thank you for coming out to the event!
This is what the event is all about, and it's great to hear the positive feedback from the participants :Big Grin:
Thank you for sharing the wonderful backstory leading up to the event and the additional photos!
Hope to see you and your family next year!

-Daniel

ErikAllen17
10-02-2013, 04:49 PM
If you're looking to meet up with another VC dad and his kids (or without) for some fishing, hit me up. I'm in Newbury Park and fish all along the coast out here. Send me a PM and we can exchange numbers and try to coordinate a trip to the shore.

SP Dan
10-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Hi ya anchor3n1,

First of all ..... thank you Nick so very much ... for bringing and sharing your two darlings with all of us at this year's HG!

Having kids at the HG event really does ring out loudly ... the meaning of "Family, Friends, Fun and Fishing" to all of us who had worked and or had attended the Event!

Children always seem to bring with them that specially needed element, the innocent intention to always have FUN"!
I know in my heart that this was Dana's intentions for all of us all along .... to just have fun!

Also, Dana could not have selected better wing-men than Wingnut and Lt Bones! These two men work tirelessly to carry on Dana's legacy and his dreams ...... they have continued to cultivate a small band of people that they knew would lead by His example ..... and call them S.W.A.T.!

It was great to see the BIG :Big Grin: smiles on Noelle's and Alexa's faces and to hear the excitement in their voices as they told me all about how they were catching their fish and how many they had already caught :EyePop:! I loved hearing all about their battles in the surf "stories"! :Thumbs Up: WTG ladies!

:Big Grin: Ha ha ha! So young and they already have fishing stories :LOL:! It was at that moment that I realized for the first time that day that HG-5 was really, truly happening after all the efforts had been spent up to this moment! Meeting the three of you was; without a doubt, my trophy for the day .... I left HG-5 as a winner because of people and families like yours!

You have a great family Nick ... and thank you for allowing all of to have fun fishing memories of all of you from this day!

Also .... thank you for your post buddy .... your kind words have touched all of us in S.W.A.T.!

PS .... I know where the three of you will be next year about this time :Wink:......... HG-6!

SP Dan <"))>< "The Danimal"!

PTN
10-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Hi Nick,

I'm glad you and your family were able to make it out to such a great event. Everyone here has basically covered everything I wanted to say and we are happy you enjoyed the event as well as your family. Everyone put hard work into this event and it was very successful again. Thank you for the pictures!

-Peter

Jaysuuun
10-04-2013, 10:12 AM
I remember your girls hammering the perch right in front of the registration booth. Every time I looked down there was always a perch dangling from the end of their line. Some of the best honey holes are right underneath our noses. LOL Congrats to your girls on their wins and I'm glad you all enjoyed the event. Be sure to come back next year. It just keeps getting better and better.:Cool:

Wingnut
10-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Nick, you and the girls were fishing right in front of the S.W.A.T. Command Center and I kept seeing your girls land one fish after another...
Watching you guys put a big smile on my face, because your family is exactly what this event is all about. :Big Grin:
You are rightfully to be proud of your girls because the Junior Derby is no cakewalk... there is some serious competition going on out there with the likes of the City Girls and Marissa Cerda (Manny's daughter). :Razz: Well done on the First and Third finish! :Applause:
Tell the girls to continue to hone their surf fishing skills so they can defend their titles at HG6! :Envious: