PDA

View Full Version : Missed HG5 but snagged a skunkbuster PB in the OC

Slickwill43
09-30-2013, 11:07 AM
Hey all sorry I couldn't make it to HG5, my better half had this Saturday all planned out months ago and I couldn't
quite get her to budge.

However, after a successful day of errands, seeing friends, and assorted activities I did convince her we should go
check out the sunset at Newport and why not bring our fishing stuff now that she has a license and try to catch
something?

We only got about an hour of fishing in and the skunk seemed to be on good, not a bite on squid or crack, then when
I was helping her cast over some break, she yells so I look and my pole is almost being pulled into the surf!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!

I ran over and grabbed it and new immediately it was either a big ray or a Leo, this guy took almost full drag out on
four runs and made me work crazy the last 20 feet of leader.

In the end it was my PB Bat Ray, unfortunately the measuring tape was sitting on my coffee table at home :( so I don't know
the length and will now question every ray I bring in is this bigger????? (Lesson learned, even if its on a lark bring TAPE!!!)

This guys was a great fight and he lip hooked perfectly so it was not bad getting out the hook and releasing him back asap.

The sunset was beautiful and my wife agreed to come out more often, win for me!

bachiboy
10-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Sorry you missed the event. It was everything we expected and so much more! Gotta keep that better half happy though, so we'll just look forward to seeing you out there with us next year!:Wink: Great report and photos. If you get out there without your tape, you can always use your rod and make a mental note of the length vs. the handle then tape it out later when you get home...or in my case, when you get back to the car where you left the tape.:LOL::Rolls Eyes:

Congrats on the PB!
Don

skunked4life
10-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Congrats on the PB Ray! I have never caught a ray in the surf! Bet it was one helluva fight! As to the tape measure thingy, yeah...listen to Bachiboy. He gives sound advice. Here is my take on it: measure out 22 inches and 28 inches on your rod and place a small dab of white out or some type of indicator just in case you forget the tape. I use those two measurements to indicate legal butts and wsb. I also use masking tape to mark the spots.

Good luck out there and looking forward to more PB reports!

Skunked4life, aka Corporal Croaker, aka Ken

murrieta angler
10-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Happy Wife, Happy Life...:LOL:
At least that's what my wife tells me.
Good looking Bat Ray, you got there.
They are kinda cute looking, as far as rays go...:Envious:
Thanks for sharing,
Robert
<><

Jaysuuun
10-03-2013, 10:15 AM
BOOOO for missing HG5. LOL j/k Hopefully you'll be able to make it next year. Reserve the date with your better half ahead of time so there are no excuses.:Wink: Food, prizes, and fishing...Something for everyone! It's a win win!:LOL: Nice going on the bat. Still on my list of LC catches to cross off.