PDA

View Full Version : OC 9/24 & 9/25 & PB Spotfin

Troutketcher
09-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Fished my favorite AO in the OC both Tuesday and Wednesday. Fished 2 hours before through 2 hours after the noonish high tides both days. On Tuesday the conditions were perfect! Warm weather, no wind, no salad, and tons of SCs. Overall the bite was decent, wasn't as wide open as I thought it would be but still brought in a good number of small BSPs. I used larger SCs trying to catch bigger fish but they were just getting sawed in half by small perch. Once the bite completely died and the water level appeared kinda too shallow to fish any longer, I decided to make one last cast, and just so happened to dig up the biggest SC of the day. I cast out and it must have been sitting out there for about a minute when it got absolutely demolished! It took off like a freight train out to the open ocean and would have spooled me if I didn't button down the drag. It felt crazy heavy and was worried my line would snap or that I should have retied the hook in the last hour...but after a 15 minute battle I finally brought it in close and saw flashes of silver and knew it had to be a SFC. Thank goodness the tide had lowered and the waves were calm which allowed me to beach it fairly easily. Taped out just over 23 inches and weighed in just under 7 pounds! A new PB for me (but not as big as the 25" my mom caught a few weeks back which I posted on here, so she still has bragging rights)

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u267/brlennox/Surf%20Fishing/BrentsSpotfin-Copy_zps061d8828.jpg

Wednesday, the conditions couldn't be any different. Crazy windy, strong current, and salad everywhere. Was still able to bring in 11 BSPs but missed a ton of strikes as I had so much trouble trying to keep my line tight with the strong wind and current. Saw some spotties swimming in the waves but no takers.

Definitely an awesome couple of days and stoked about landing my PB Spottie!

LuckyCraft420
09-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Nice catch, that thing is a toad. I fish mostly OC beaches, and I have yet to land 1 that big yet.

murrieta angler
09-27-2013, 05:56 AM
Very nice sized spotfin..:Wink:
Thanks for sharing,
Robert
<><

Hardcor
09-27-2013, 07:51 AM
7 pound Spotfin Croaker ! That's a toad ! The All Tackle World record is 9 pounds 7 oz !

Very Nice ! How much did your mothers weight !

Corey

DockRat
09-27-2013, 07:58 AM
Dude ! Were talking BIG Croaker :Applause:
On the bucket list, never caught one.
Congratulations, DR

bloox8
09-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Very nice SFC! I heard those things put up an awesome fight
WTG man

-Thien

bachiboy
09-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Awesome spot! Time to get mom back out there for the slayage. :Wink:

Congrats!
Don

Troutketcher
09-27-2013, 06:27 PM
7 pound Spotfin Croaker ! That's a toad ! The All Tackle World record is 9 pounds 7 oz !

Very Nice ! How much did your mothers weight !

Corey

Didn't get a weight on hers, don't take fish home too often but my fridge at home was empty so was able to get a couple of meals out of this fish. It must have had a crazy appetite because when I cleaned it, no lie I must have counted over 25 sand crabs in its belly and intestines haha

Yeah I'll have to take my mom back out soon, at the rate she's going she will break that 9 lb 7 oz record!

Jaysuuun
09-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Nice SFC! I wish they would hit an LC as thats what I throw out most of the time. They put up a mean fight. Congrats on the PB

Wingnut
09-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Sweet Spotfin... still need to check one of those off my surf fish list. :Envious: