PDA

View Full Version : New Kayaker, any tips?

elbowlayer
09-25-2013, 06:23 PM
Well i have upgraded from a float tube to a kayak because i have been wanting to fish DVL and Skinner also, not just perris. This friday will be my "cherry popping" session and I am trying to decide between DVL and Skinner. Im leaning towards Skinner cause its smaller and I can launch from the second launch ramp. I havent fished skinner in a long time and Im hoping my usual perris bass tackle will work for skinner too. I would appreciate any kayaking tips, i.e how to get in and out of the sit in kayak without tipping over, and any fishing tips for skinner would help too. Thanks in advance. Ooooh I bought a field and stream eagle run 12 kayak. Also what accesories do i need to buy to get boat stickered? I am sure i need at least a float vest, but do i need anything else?
Jaime

Caliyak
09-26-2013, 08:22 AM
Elbow, welcome to the madness. I think you will like yaking better than tubing. You can do so much more with a yak, JMO. You need your life jacket, paddle, a sponge and fishing pole to start. After that, it's all extras. Serious!!!! A sponge? to remove the water from inside your yak.
I would add a fish finder, a rod holder and maybe a bucket or milk crate for storage. To enter your yak, place your yak in ankle high water, jump in and then push or paddle out. That simple and I promise that you will get use to it with practice. In a yak, you can troll for trout or bass. You can also go out for a paddling session for exercise. I even fell asleep after lunch, power nap. and fo course, you can go places that no one else can.
Also, I see an upgrade in your future. You will want to move up to a sit on top kayak for ocean and big waters. this sport is that addicting. So, welcome to the madness.

LGOP
09-26-2013, 08:36 AM
Hello, Elbow! just like Caliyak said, " welcome to the madness!" lol congratulation on your first kayak! Let us know how you did out on the drink. You should check out Lake Elisinore also for some LMB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPt1uiQh3Hg . I hope one day we can get all the FNN Yakers out on the water someday and just have a good time!

LGOP

elbowlayer
09-26-2013, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the advise guys, I am looking forward to trying it out. I forgot about elsinore, do you have to pay to launch there? I've fished once before there but from shore. I would be great to meet some more yakers. Thanks again, the sponge is something I wouldn't have bought, I'll definitely pick one up today .

reservoir dog
09-26-2013, 03:01 PM
Quick reminder...never leave home without your PFD. Good luck out there and have fun yakin'.

qbi2001
09-26-2013, 09:15 PM
The best advice I can give to a new paddler is to know your limitations and respect them. Watch the wind and try and plan accordingly, getting caught on the wrong side of a lake when the wind picks up can quickly ruin your fishing experience. I haven't paddled a sit inside kayak for over 10 years but try and have a plan in case you do capsize.

Something to think about with a sit-inside is if you do tip over the kayak will flood and you will not be able to re-enter the kayak in the water. You will need to get to shore with the flooded boat and drain the water prior to paddling the kayak again. I had to rescue a kayaker at big bear lake on the 4th of July for this reason. The likelyhood of you flipping the kayak is very low but think about how you react if it happens. Wear a PFD and keep a cell phone in a dry box/case incase you need to call for help. Have fun

LGOP
09-26-2013, 10:02 PM
You can launch from the beach area for free at elisnore. I live about 25 mins away from there. Hit me up if youre in the area fishing.

fishking
09-29-2013, 01:56 PM
I have to agree with everyone here, PFD is a must, sponge or hand operated bilge pump, know how to self rescue in worse case scenario. Just when you think oh that wont happen to me, it will happen.. If you don't know how to get back in your YAK you will be in trouble, and I hope there are others around. Theres a lot of videos on You Tube about self rescue. If you have a pool or have a friend that has one practice, practice makes perfect. I have PA14 and fish Perris all the time, pretty sure I have seen you out there in your tube. Hit me up if you want to head out sometime. I will be heading out this Friday and probably launching for 11/12.

elbowlayer
09-29-2013, 03:00 PM
thanks for all the advise guys, I did buy a nice PDF and I have watched some videos of self rescue, but i havent tried any first hand. I am a good swimmer having surfed and bodyboarded through my youth, I also recieved some water survival training in the Marines. I hope it never capsizes on me but i can imagine its like motorcycle riders. There are two types of riders those that have fallen and those that are going to fall. Thanks for the invite fishking, you have the pedal drive sit on kayak right? I am planning on going back out on skinner friday, that sucks they dont allow sit on tops.

fishking
09-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Yup mine is peddle driven.. Yeah I wish they would change the rules at skinner and DVL but im not gonna hold my breath.. Theres plenty of other places to fish.. Good luck at skinner..

elbowlayer
09-30-2013, 05:43 PM
Yup mine is peddle driven.. Yeah I wish they would change the rules at skinner and DVL but im not gonna hold my breath.. Theres plenty of other places to fish.. Good luck at skinner..
Those are my two local lakes so I definitely wanted a kayak that would be allowed there. There is a YouTube video of a guy in your type of kayak on Skinner. He said there was some person there who would allow him to take it in. I think it's crazy they don't allow those pedal drive kayaks. They are for sure big enough and you are sitting inside the seat area, only difference is the sides don't go over you legs.