PDA

View Full Version : Waders or Neoprenes?

Ifishtoolittle
09-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Hey guys. I'm looking into purchasing my first set of waders or neoprenes. I was wondering if one could stick with waders year round instead of purchasing the waders for the warmer months and neoprenes for the colder ones. Would thermals under the waders be sufficient to keep warm?

I primarily tube bays and harbors and I intend to do so during the frigid portions of the year.

And as for my budget? I'd really like to keep it under 80 bucks, and the highest I'll go is 100.

Thanks everyone!

-IF2L

Viejo
09-22-2013, 10:38 PM
Hey guys. I'm looking into purchasing my first set of waders or neoprenes. I was wondering if one could stick with waders year round instead of purchasing the waders for the warmer months and neoprenes for the colder ones. Would thermals under the waders be sufficient to keep warm?

I primarily tube bays and harbors and I intend to do so during the frigid portions of the year.

And as for my budget? I'd really like to keep it under 80 bucks, and the highest I'll go is 100.

Thanks everyone!

-IF2L

You might have a tough time finding waders for under 100 but I am sure if you look hard enough, you'll find them. Stick with waders. In the dead of winter, wear long johns under them. The water temps in the bays and harbors are nothing compared to the eastern Sierra in winter. You'll really enjoy the difference they make.

fishfrenzy
09-22-2013, 11:23 PM

Thanks everyone!

-IF2L

I don't know much about which type to choose as far as neoprene or breathable (I was also looking for wader to go tubing in and surf fishing during the cold months)If you are looking for a bargin check out turners in corona or chino hills. I went to turners in chino hills this past weekend and got my first pair of caddis deluxe breathable waders for $69 on clearance from $129.99 normal price and what sport chalet charges for the same ones. I am not to sure how good of waders they are but they were in your price range I also saw caddis neoprene waders at $35 half off the normal price. They had sizes M-XXL. Both were stocking foot waders and the also had wading booties for $30 but they were not my size (7-10) and had felt soles. I hope this helps save you some money but call and see if they got your size.

gogreeenz4
09-23-2013, 08:32 AM
go with waders defiantly!!!! check out field and streams they have really reasonable prices on there waders! make sure to get breatheable ones...

Cadillyak
09-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Breathable waders. Hands down, especially if you plan on wearing them in the summer. There is no way I would be caught dead in neoprene in the summer. Just grab some breathables and layer up for the winter. I also feel that breathables are a lot more comfortable.

Ifishtoolittle
09-23-2013, 02:03 PM
Awesome thanks guys! I have an additional question. Which is better, rubber boots or felt shoes? Thanks again.

gogreeenz4
09-23-2013, 02:52 PM
Awesome thanks guys! I have an additional question. Which is better, rubber boots or felt shoes? Thanks again.

felt sole is actually illegal in some places becuase the felt carry's invasive species a lot more then rubber... But in cali we can wear whatever!! i guess thats what happens when your water is "unsaveable"

but aside from legal or not legal,invasive species etc i find rubber soles to be the best bet in cali... if you are worried about traction get the metal spikes that go in like golf spikes to the bottom of your boot...also little tip heavier the wading boot the less it feels like your feet want to float up (which can be annoying after a long day on the water)

chico
09-23-2013, 03:39 PM
Rubber, most felt boots are being banned.

LGHT
09-23-2013, 04:54 PM
I have a prowler and I sit so high up in the water that only part that's always in the water are below my knees so I just wear some long fin socks under my booties and I'm good to go.

.:LOLLY:.
09-23-2013, 05:02 PM
I would recommend going with waders that have neoprene booties and get some water shoes that will fit over them. That's what I do and my foot still fits inside my hot spot fins while wearing the water shoes. That way you protect the neoprene booties when you're walking around.

Ifishtoolittle
09-24-2013, 11:44 PM
I would recommend going with waders that have neoprene booties and get some water shoes that will fit over them. That's what I do and my foot still fits inside my hot spot fins while wearing the water shoes. That way you protect the neoprene booties when you're walking around.

That sounds like a good idea LOLLY. I'm not looking to get new fins so I may go with your recommendation. Thanks!

I have a prowler and I sit so high up in the water that only part that's always in the water are below my knees so I just wear some long fin socks under my booties and I'm good to go.

lol That's nice for you, but I don't have prowler, and my bum is in the water all day long.

Thanks again everyone!

titos334
09-25-2013, 10:26 PM
Breathable waders for sure. Wear some thermals under and you will be fine. Personally for me it's not an issue since I'm mostly out of the water and don't need thermals ever. I have fished some cold rivers and I've always been fine as long as my thighs are out of the water, but if you're sitting in the water, the thermals will keep you warm, the harbors don't really get that cold.