PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Park / Lake Machado in Harbor City

DockRat
09-21-2013, 08:36 AM
When Harbor Park gets drained and refilled some probably non fishing guy in a downtown office will make decisions. FIGHT NOW OR CRY LATER.

I'm in a fight for a Bad Ticket now in Redondo. I have the Harbor Director putting up fishing allowed signs in this 800' stretch. It has been open since 1962 and these uninformed cops write tickets and kicked me and others out for legally fishing. This has been going on for a while.

1 man 1 voice attacking RB Cops, City Council, Harbor Patrol, Harbor Dept.
Put in 25 hours taking pics, trips to the city, threats with COMPLAINT FORMS ect.
Mission accomplished.

NOW YOU FW BASS GUYS NEED TO SPEAK UP AND NOT LET THEM DO WHAT THEY WANT !
Find out what is going on. Public opinion is important !

DO YOU WANT A BIG HEALTHY C&R BASS LAKE ? It could be a NON FISHING LAKE or a take home Bass to grandma lake for the locals in Harbor City, San Pedro, Wilmington and everyone else. :Fishing Hole:

This is the 3rd biggest park on Los Angeles City. Grass root effort needed by some FW C&R Bass guys here on FNN. I fish Salt mostly.

The project is going NOW. 1 mile of the channel is drained and scraped, trees, weeds gone.
Filtration system going in next. (see pics in the second post/reply link below).

Next year (after winter) Lake Machado Harbor City will be drained, scraped, replanted (vegetation) and fish.
It may become a No Fishing Lake (Ninga only) mosquito fish.
Talk in the Daily Breeze 2 years ago about maybe a C&R Bass Lake. (see second reply below).
2014 will be the lake. SPEAK UP NOW AND EARLY 2014.

GET ORGANIZED SOMEONE TAKE LEAD !

THE TIME IS NOW AND 2014 FOR YOU BASS GUYS TO GET INFO AND LET YOUR VOICES BE HEARD. LETTERS, PETITIONS, CITY COUNCIL MEETINGS WHATEVER IT TAKES.

This could be a great C&R Bass Fishery.
Here is a current pic of this big city lake.
DR
http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r611/sesparob/LakeMachado.jpg

DockRat
09-21-2013, 08:43 AM
Current 9 pics of the project; I*B*Catching Ghetto Carp Boyz pics too in the link below;

Construction crews are removing overgrown and invasive trees and plants along the Wilmington Drain that feeds into Machado Lake between PCH and Lomita Blvd. The first phase of the project is to clean out and grade the area so water will flow correctly. Phase two will deal with water and foliage problems at Machado Lake in an attempt to move more water through the lake and drainage area in Wilmington.

http://photos.dailybreeze.com/2013/06/wilmington-drain-construction-near-machado-lake/#1

OLD 2010 ARTICLE;

READ HIGHLIGHTED SECTION; 'Possible'
Are you guys willing to get petitions and have your voices heard. THIS IS YOUR TAXES $.

Cleanup of Machado Lake planned;

By Donna Littlejohn Staff Writer

Posted: 04/27/10, 9:00 PM PDT |

Driving by Harbor City's 231-acre regional park, Machado Lake looks to be a serene and picturesque oasis.

But close up, the reality is harsh.

For years the lake, which holds runoff storm water from the area, has collected everything from pesticides to swarms of mosquitoes and piles of trash.

What once was a pristine spot for bird watchers has deteriorated through the decades. The park now draws homeless encampments and has become a haven for lewd activity.

As Palos Verdes/South Bay Audubon Society member Martin Byhower put it back in 2003: "That park is a microcosm for everything that can go wrong in a regional park."

Next year, work begins to address those long-standing ills. The entire project - formally titled the Wilmington Drain Multi-use and Machado Lake Ecosystem Rehabilitation Project - is expected to be finished by mid-2013.

Work on the Wilmington Drain that feeds into the lake begins in the summer of 2011 and is expected to take 1 1/2 years. Work on Machado Lake begins in the fall of 2011 and will take 2 1/2 years. (LOL, they started in 2013)

Funding comes from the 2004 passage of Proposition O, a statewide measure to clean urban runoff and improve water quality.

The $117 million cleanup of Machado Lake and the Wilmington Drain will include a series of steps, from installing trash nets and circulatory equipment to dredging the bottom of the lake.

Floating islands will be created for nesting areas to support native habitat.

FNN Bass Guys Read This !

Benches and other park amenities also will be added to the 231-acre Ken Malloy Harbor Regional Park that surrounds the body of water. Expanded recreational uses - possibly a "catch-and-release" fishery for example - will be decided upon later by the city's Recreation and Parks Department.

"There are four goals: water quality improvements, recreational enhancements, wildlife habitat improvements and flood control," said Michelle Vargas, public information officer for the city of Los Angeles.

"Clearly this will be a major improvement over what we've seen in decades of neglect," said Jess Morton, also of the Audubon Society.

Nets and other filters will be installed to keep the lake and drain connections cleaner, Vargas said. The water level also will be maintained at 8 feet to ensure more oxygen to support the fish and other wildlife.

"You won't see the summertime die-off of fish and birds caused by nutrient loads," Morton said.

Algae, pesticides and pollutants such as metals from area industry are likely to be found in the sediment at the bottom of the lake once dredging begins in 2011.

Once known by locals as "the slough," the area was owned by the Dominguez family in the 1700s and American Indians remained prevalent around the lake. The property later went to the Sepulveda family.

It was annexed in 1906 to the city of Los Angeles and eventually was designated as a regional park.

In the 1990s, the park was named for Ken Malloy, a San Pedro environmentalist who died in 1991 at the age of 78.

Malloy came upon the undeveloped area in the 1930s when his car bumped into some cows grazing on the property and spent years nurturing it.

Convinced it could someday become a grand regional park, Malloy later formed the 62-acre Machado Youth Campground within the park. He was instrumental in planting hundreds of trees in the park as well, working with the California Conservation Corps.

Public meetings about the project have been held and comments are still being solicited for the draft environmental report and will remain open until May 3.

donna.littlejohn@dailybreeze.com

Machado Lake: What's next?
What: Comments on the draft EIR can be made through May 3. The document is available at the Harbor City/Harbor Gateway Library, 24000 S. Western Ave.; Wilmington Library, 1300 N. Avalon Blvd.; and at the office of Los Angeles City Councilwoman Janice Hahn, 638 S. Beacon St., Suite 552, San Pedro; and online at www.lacity.org/DPW/dpwhome.htm.

Information: www.lapropo.org; 213-978-0333; bpw.pao@lacity.org.

DockRat
09-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Old time Pedro locals have told me stories of DD Bass and WFO bass fishing here back in the 50's 60's.
Only Carp and turtles, snakes, mosquito fish and no access due to weeds.

Take control of your city, and you will be proud to have done so in 5 - 10 - 20 years this could be LA's best C&R ONLY BASS LAKE. You are going to pay for it, even if it becomes a non fishing lake.
DR

DockRat
09-24-2013, 08:29 AM
Hard to believe that with over 100 views and not one opinion ? Is this post a waste of time ? Anybody ? 2 hours invested into FW Bass research for you FNN guys.
Bman, what do you think ? You live in the area.

Harbor Park will be much deeper when completed with no concrete bottom. With the potential to be the best C&R Bass Lake in LA County.

Found this 2013 article group and link; Good reading and pics about this fish habitat group that FNN or any Bass guy should support.

http://structurespot.com/conservation/cdm-smith-engineers-insist-on-fishiding-habitat-for-californias-machado-lake-ecosystem-rehabilitation-project/

CDM Smith Engineers Insist on Fishiding Habitat for California’s Machado Lake Ecosystem Rehabilitation Project

Much more information coming soon as this 2-1/2 year projects begins this spring. For questions about fishing habitat products call 815-693-0894 or e-mail david@fishiding.com

http://www.utopianature.com/kmhrp/whatis.html

eah
09-24-2013, 09:14 AM
Many many years ago, I was a member of the San Pedro chapter of Isaac Walton. As a project we built a bunch of spawning boxes and sunk them in Machado Lake. The boxes were intended for bass, and DFG intended to put spawners in after the boxes were placed. In those days, we locals knew the lake as either Harbor Lake or Bixby Slew. A while after the boxes were placed, the lake almost dried up. One of our members (statute must have run by now) broke a water line pipe to get water back into the slew. There was plenty of water at the 76 refinery, and Union Oil would have given us the water, but state regulation prevented using that reclaimed water. Getting the lake to stay at a reasonable water level was a major issue at the time.

DockRat
09-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Good info eah, how was the bass fishing back in the day ?
I drive by the lake almost every day and have not see in get low water levels in the last 10-15 years.

This group has a good website and hopefully pushing for a C&R Bass lake ?

http://structurespot.com/conservatio...ation-project/

CDM Smith Engineers Insist on Fishiding Habitat for California’s Machado Lake Ecosystem Rehabilitation Project

Thanks for the input.
DR

misterBAITer
09-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Good info eah, how was the bass fishing back in the day ?
I drive by the lake almost every day and have not see in get low water levels in the last 10-15 years.

In my experience, Harbor Park Lake offered the best freshwater fishing ever (well at least from a city/county park lake standpoint). I practically grew up fishing this lake every other weekend in the 80s and 90s. Tons of bluegill/sunfish, aggressive 8-12" bass, huge carp, bullheads/channel cats, mosquitofish ("guppies" as I called them) by the netfull, and crayfish bigger than my hand.

Armed with flylined mealworms and nightcrawlers (or with a bobber), floating rapalas, curlytail grubs, and other plastics, I could fish the reeds on the south side of lake for for an entire day from morning to evening. I can honestly say I never went home with a skunk, the action was practically non-stop. My dad would almost literally have to drag me home because I wouldn't want to leave lol.

eah
09-25-2013, 09:01 AM
I lived within a couple of miles but never fished the lake. In those days I was all salt water. Redondo, Manhattan, Seal Beach piers, when we could afford it the Sacramento, Sea Coaster, and California barges.

Ifishtoolittle
09-26-2013, 12:55 AM
Thanks for this DR.

I'm still going through the last link you posted. You mentioned that this rehabilitation project only began this year? So would that mean that it will take at least to the end of 2015 to finish?

In regards to making a stand for a C&R lake would reaching out to the ones in charge of the project be best?

DockRat
09-26-2013, 07:39 AM
Thanks for this DR.

I'm still going through the last link you posted. 1) You mentioned that this rehabilitation project only began this year? 2) So would that mean that it will take at least to the end of 2015 to finish?

3) In regards to making a stand for a C&R lake would reaching out to the ones in charge of the project be best?

1) Yes the project is going full steam. PCH to Lomita blvd part of the river going to the lake, 1 mile section, the lake will probably start in the spring.
2) 2015 is about right.
3) More info needed on who is in charge of making decisions on the lake/fishing part.

With the economy the way it is this free park makes no money. It would be much cheaper for the city to make it a NO FISHING LAKE.
If a small group would lobby for a C&R Bass lake it would help a lot.

The question to all it will you be fishing in 3 - 5 years, even 20 when you young guys have families ? I understand that guys want the DD Bass NOW, and don't want to wait or get involved and that's ok.

Wrote this post wrong (again) and turned some guys off, DR haters too. Writing is my weak point but I try.
If someone else can start there own thread on Harbor Park with new info that would be great.
I'm a saltwater guy and never fished Lake Machado (Harbor Park).
DR

bman90278
09-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Hard to believe that with over 100 views and not one opinion ? Is this post a waste of time ? Anybody ? 2 hours invested into FW Bass research for you FNN guys.
Bman, what do you think ? You live in the area.

Well DR, I actually live in Redondo Beach and do my best to stay away from the Harbor Lake area. That being said, I'm sure we can get lots of supporters in the South Bay area for the new lake. From what I've read and heard in the past, the big promoters of the lake are the bird lovers.

-b

DockRat
09-26-2013, 10:08 PM
Well DR, I actually live in Redondo Beach and do my best to stay away from the Harbor Lake area. That being said, I'm sure we can get lots of supporters in the South Bay area for the new lake. From what I've read and heard in the past, the big promoters of the lake are the bird lovers.
-b
It sucks now and only 10% - 20% is accessible from shore, all weeds, lily pads, brush, trees ect. Gone will be the dark brushy/tree area.
They tore out over 100 trees PCH to Lomita. Safety, clean up the area in and around the lake and river.

Imagine sidewalks around it, lots of trees removed, Security, clear open view to PCH, Several Aerators shooting up water.
C&R Only BIG BASS LAKE, they won't dump trout in there due to the run off, but maybe ? Who knows ? I hope they fence in the whole place and charge $7 to get in and keep out the Riff Raff.

If you look at the pics from PCH to Lomita blvd zone they tore out almost everything. When they drain/dredge the lake they may tear out tons of trees/brush around lake to PCH to the college to Anahiem St. Once all the bodies are dredged up get the CSI team out of the way add some grass and all opened up, area lighting ect. It will be more like Eldo/Alondra.

Check out pics 4,8,9 at this link. Much more has been scraped out of there since this article.
http://photos.dailybreeze.com/2013/06/wilmington-drain-construction-near-machado-lake/

You might be able to cast a line from the PCH bridge for DDs. Big part of this revitalization is to clean up the area for safety and to eliminate all the homeless and riff raff.. They booted out a couple dozen homeless camps from PCH to Lomita Blvd. I saw 20+ big tall roll off dumpsters full, and new and full ones coming and going daily. The homeless all moved to Eldo. lol

You saw Echo Park, this is a much bigger project.

Night Fishing Safe Lake Machado in the year 2020 :Big Grin:
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp195/fishaddix/3916.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/fishaddix/media/3916.jpg.html)

Ifishtoolittle
09-26-2013, 10:31 PM
1) Yes the project is going full steam. PCH to Lomita blvd part of the river going to the lake, 1 mile section, the lake will probably start in the spring.
2) 2015 is about right.
3) More info needed on who is in charge of making decisions on the lake/fishing part.

With the economy the way it is this free park makes no money. It would be much cheaper for the city to make it a NO FISHING LAKE.
If a small group would lobby for a C&R Bass lake it would help a lot.

The question to all it will you be fishing in 3 - 5 years, even 20 when you young guys have families ? I understand that guys want the DD Bass NOW, and don't want to wait or get involved and that's ok.

Wrote this post wrong (again) and turned some guys off, DR haters too. Writing is my weak point but I try.
If someone else can start there own thread on Harbor Park with new info that would be great.
I'm a saltwater guy and never fished Lake Machado (Harbor Park).
DR

Thanks DR. I'd be willing to participate once school is finished. I live no where near that park, but a C&R bass lake that is less than an hour away sounds amazing.

BTW I finished browsing through all of the links you posted and it's pretty darn sad with what Harbor Park has become. It's a lot like the urban creeks I fish at, but that's a whole other problem. When you have that kind of mess at a city park it's very disappointing. I mean come on, those guys were defecating on the floors even with toilets and porta-potties that were provided for them.

DockRat
09-28-2013, 08:22 AM

-b

Hey Brian,

YOU WON'T RECOGNIZE the place in 3 years. Look towards the future bro.
DR

bman90278
09-28-2013, 11:05 AM
Hey Brian,

YOU WON'T RECOGNIZE the place in 3 years. Look towards the future bro.
DR
I have 3 little ones and I care bout the future for them. I have a crazy job with no standard schedule day to day so I'm not the one to take control of the parks future, but I'm certainly would love to assist a group!

BTW, DR, I've been doing 95% of my fishing in the salt these days. For some reason that's what my son wants to do, so that's where I go.

-b

DockRat
09-30-2013, 09:24 AM
Had a feeling this post was a waste of time.
DR :Sad:

I*B*CATCHIN
10-12-2013, 01:22 PM
This is how the lake looks now & stocking will be done by locals http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w400/theway111/100MEDIA_IMAG0337.jpg

DockRat
10-13-2013, 01:32 PM
This is how the lake looks now

When did they drain it ? Did any of your buddies see how many fish were in there ? Any Bass ?
I'll have to go check it out.
Thanks for the report.
DR

I*B*CATCHIN
10-21-2013, 06:53 PM
It still has plenty of water and you can see fish crusing if you know where to look

DockRat
10-21-2013, 11:00 PM
It still has plenty of water and you can see fish crusing if you know where to look

Went down and checked it the other day, saw some Carp cruising by your spot. Went to mid lake and talked to a older Korean fisherman for a while. He told me about his C&R carping he does. He also talked about a fish he has caught 8" to 10" that he described as having a Bluegill type body fish except it has teeth about 1/8". He said the teeth were flat and not pointed. Any ideas ? I'm thinking maybe maybe a Pacu ?

Anyone have any idea ?
DR

Ifishtoolittle
10-21-2013, 11:16 PM
Did the guy mention how large the mouth was and coloration of the fish?

DockRat
10-23-2013, 08:29 PM
Did the guy mention how large the mouth was and coloration of the fish?
No. His english was not to good. He said it was dark. Not sure if Pacu can survive the So cal winters but whatever it was it hit his Carp dough. Lots of pets have been dumped in there.
DR

I*B*CATCHIN
10-28-2013, 08:04 AM
This is what was caught last week at harbor park by Big Serg (el presidente )of California Ghetto Carp'n Clubhttp://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w400/theway111/100MEDIA_IMAG0125.jpg

I*B*CATCHIN
10-28-2013, 09:48 AM
From what i heard it suppose to be a piranha...hey why not if we had a gator in there , there's reports of huge snakes by the golf course
Went down and checked it the other day, saw some Carp cruising by your spot. Went to mid lake and talked to a older Korean fisherman for a while. He told me about his C&R carping he does. He also talked about a fish he has caught 8" to 10" that he described as having a Bluegill type body fish except it has teeth about 1/8". He said the teeth were flat and not pointed. Any ideas ? I'm thinking maybe maybe a Pacu ?

Anyone have any idea ?
DR

N3FF
10-28-2013, 10:04 AM
It may be a Pacu, one of my buddy caught a Pretty Big one at legg Lake before..

Anyone have any idea ?
DR

Ifishtoolittle
11-05-2013, 09:43 PM
No. His english was not to good. He said it was dark. Not sure if Pacu can survive the So cal winters but whatever it was it hit his Carp dough. Lots of pets have been dumped in there.
DR

You're probably right about the Pacu. It's either that or some kind of cichlid.