PDA

View Full Version : Bloody decks, I tell you!!!

Ambassadorhawg
09-21-2013, 08:23 AM
Thursday night, I jumped aboard the First String for an overnighter trip. The fish are moving up so fast now that you don't need to get on 1.5 day trips if you don't have the time. Captain Brad stated that he planned to take the boat back to where it had spent time on a 2 day trip. That area had some big BFT. So we baited up and headed off at a relaxed pace. We only needed to go about 50 miles to the SW.

The weather and water were rally nice. Just enough breeze to keep us moving a little bit after each stop. And many stops there were. Turns our the BFT spot turned into a YFT spot over night. When we got to the desired zone, it was still an hour or so before day light. Brad shut her down and we just slow drifted, waiting for the sun. At gray light, I started yo-yoing a blue and chrome Tady 9. Several anglers were soaking bait and all of a sudden, i see bent rods. Then I got bit on the Tady 9 but it tore off after a few seconds. These were the nicest fish of the day, YFT in the 20-30 pound class. After that, we had two ripper stops for the YFTs that range from 10-15 pounds. Tonnage of Doritos down there too. But the little Yellows were absent most of the day until we moved out a little further down to around 60 miles. We found enough kelps to keep things interesting and most of them held life.

I fished straight mono 30 pound test all day for bait fishing and didn't have any trouble getting bit except for when the BFT finally came through. Those fish looked to be 15-20 pounds. I ended up with 5 YFT, 2 Doritos, and a small Yellow. I dumped exactly that many more fish also. The tuna were sneaky biting the bait. No burning take offs. They would eat it, move a little then stop. It fooled me and I often gut hooked them which resulted in my tearing the hook out of the ones I lost.

Unusual catches of the day, a small Mako Shark and a very rare Shortbilled Swordfish!

Bait was 75% Mackerel of all sizes and large Sardines. We saw a Striped Marlin fining around a paddy on the way in after our day of carnage was done. 29 anglers had 96 YFT, 58 Doritos, 27 BFT, 21 rat Yellows, and the Shortbilled Swordy.

Jig-Guy
09-22-2013, 12:02 AM
Great report and pic's. Glad you had fun and got bit! I wished I was there with you folks and I know I would have had a blast.

TUNAVIC
09-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Nice trip,cool pics,First String,great fishing platform,fished it often with, Pisano and Strasser way back when.

cya TUNAVIC

Tunaslam
09-24-2013, 05:04 PM
Way to go some great fishing there!

DockRat
09-24-2013, 09:51 PM
XLNT Job !!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the post.
DR

bachiboy
10-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Great trip! Brad is a fishing machine. I haven't fished with him in a long time but he was always a fish magnet. Surprised he didn't try and bait that marlin. Back in the day, he would always want guys trolling big lures on the way in cuz he wanted to hook one. Nice going with the blue and chrome Tady 9...my jig of choice for tuna and wahoo.

Thanks for sharing!
Don

Squid79
10-07-2013, 04:52 AM
very cool i went out of sandiego this weekeng but a sealion took my yellow but still had a great trip.

Squid79
10-07-2013, 04:57 AM
hey how do you post to the forum please help