PDA

View Full Version : Ensenada or SD??

ONEKID
09-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Wanted to hit up Ensenada on a 6 pack for yellows, YFT and dodos this weekend. But i keep hearing of stick ups and robberies and even the Mexican Navy giving people hard times. Supposedly, it's getting worse by the minute. For the price of a open party overnighter out of SD, I can charter a 6 or 8 packer in Ensenada but is it worth it?

What would you guys do?? Fishing would probably be better in Mex.

Troutman65
09-20-2007, 11:40 AM
I always worry about the same thoughts you are having. If peace of mind is what your looking for, go out of S.D. .

I have a friend that has gone to Ensenada many times. He has never had a problem.

Maybe someone else will chim in with more current info. on how safe it is to fish out of Ensenada?

Troutman65

cappo
09-20-2007, 11:42 AM
ya lately its been kinda sketchy down there. What I would do is look into Castros camp, they have small rooms/bungalows to sleep in so you dont have to make that dangerous trek in the early AM when the robberies seem to take place. Just drive down there in the afternoon and check in. They have some nice pangas there.

ONEKID
09-20-2007, 11:50 AM
cool, looks like i might be out of options..storm is supposed to be sick this week in SD, might be forced into mexico.
if anyone is going saturday afternoon, lets caravan.

sansou
09-20-2007, 02:26 PM
The weather is going to be horrible SoCal wide this weekend. You might want to reschedule.

Just my 2 cents of precaution.

Troutman65
09-20-2007, 04:31 PM
My Western Outdoor news just came in the mail. There is an interesting article on page 4. Its an email that was sent in and was published. Talks about don't drive at night. Mexican Navy asking to see passports. They did not have theirs on them and were being accused of being in the country illegally. Its a amazing story. A must read. :shock:

Troutman65

ONEKID
09-20-2007, 07:34 PM
is it the one where the boat sank? yea..i read that. scary stuff. ive been to mex a few times. before i go each time, i sketch out. then i get there and think, that's not so bad.... and then i plan another trip and befor i go, i sketch out again, and so on and so on.... hopefully, things go well.

Mike K.
09-23-2007, 10:58 PM
Christ, its BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO, not frikkin Bosnia.

If you were askiing about Mexico City, maybe I'd be concerned as there is political unrest at the moment...But not in Baja.

The military gives you **** at two checkpoints between where you are and where you want to go. Bring your ID, don't drive loaded and leave your drug paraphernelia stateside and you'll be just fine.

I used to do all the things I'm telling you not to do and I made it just fine. Lots of times. Ya' can always grease the law in Mexico. No big deal.

FishSum
09-24-2007, 10:00 AM
I wish we could wipe Mexico from the map.........that would get ridof all those worries.

Mike K.
09-24-2007, 10:26 AM
I wish we could wipe Mexico from the map.........that would get ridof all those worries.

Its funny that you don't know just how stupid you make yourself sound.

corvina man
09-25-2007, 08:58 AM
I have fished Ensenada many times over the years and never had a problem. There is one thing that could be a problem, and that is the parking! Try going down the day before you fish and find a hotel by the harbor, that way you can get down there early the next morning and find parking. If you go down early, try looking up Kiki Cortez the day before. I have used him and he has nice pangas that you can fish out of and he can hook you up with any kind of sport fish you wan't... I usually hit the yellow's first. You might try the Santa Tomas hotel that is close to the harbor.

Tight lines!!