PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for party/charter boats

Rijkaard
09-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Hello everyone,
I'm brand new to the forum and to SoCali area, at least for what concerns fishing, I would like to know which could be a decent party boat to start to get the feeling of your fishing grounds, something like a half day trip would be nice to begin.
The area would be anywhere from Santa Monica to Newport and if you can also give me some info about what I could catch and what kind of setup is usually used it would be great.
I've been saltwater fishing in Florida for almost 10 years so I'm kinda experienced, but any place is different so any advice will be really appreciated! Also hope to meet some of you guys on these trips.
Thanks in advance

Ricky

etucker1959
09-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Hello everyone,
I'm brand new to the forum and to SoCali area, at least for what concerns fishing, I would like to know which could be a decent party boat to start to get the feeling of your fishing grounds, something like a half day trip would be nice to begin.
The area would be anywhere from Santa Monica to Newport and if you can also give me some info about what I could catch and what kind of setup is usually used it would be great.
I've been saltwater fishing in Florida for almost 10 years so I'm kinda experienced, but any place is different so any advice will be really appreciated! Also hope to meet some of you guys on these trips.
Thanks in advance

Ricky

I won't bogart all the answers. lol Small bottomfish is about the only game in town now for a 1/2 day boats. On the overnight and 3/4 boats down south (Dana Point-San Diego) it looks like the best fishing of the year is happening or about to happen. So it's your call.

bachiboy
09-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Check out this link. It has daily reports for the landings to get an idea of who's catching and who's not. You could base your trips on this info...

Good luck.
Don

http://biteson.com/newlandings.html

flyhigh123
09-20-2013, 02:48 PM
find a groupon or living social deal for a 3/4 day. normally around $35 from those deals...

LGHT
09-20-2013, 04:31 PM
I would even bother with a half day. I mean you can catch the same stuff in the harbor. I do quit a few offshore trips and would suggest at a minimum a 1.5 day trip leaving out of SD. Cost is of course more, but the type of fishing and the amount of "catching" you do is 1,000000000 times better on a 1.5 day trip.

jaggerbub
09-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Agree with LGHT. Make the drive to S.D. because the tunas, dodos, and yellowtail are biting good right now. Even some of the 3/4 day boats are getting good action. Kelp patties are filled with fish when you find one.

TUNAVIC
09-20-2013, 08:20 PM
New Del Mar,Rick Ofeinger owner operator,class act! Marina Del Ray.

Cya TunaVic

Fishingkid97
09-20-2013, 09:20 PM
I would suggest making your first trip a 3/4 day trip on the San Diego. That boat and crew are awesome they always have some of the highest counts out of the 3/4 boats they work hard every day to put there passengers on fish.

Rijkaard
09-21-2013, 09:03 AM
Do they rent decent gear onboard? I don't have a clue on how long I'll stay, so don't want to invest on more tackle, maybe a nice 8' 15-30 lbs overall spinning setup for throwing top waters, heavy spoons, diamond jigs and x-raps while walking the beach or in the open ocean, any suggest? Maybe someone's willing to sell a combo

casting call
09-21-2013, 09:43 AM
Do they rent decent gear onboard? I don't have a clue on how long I'll stay, so don't want to invest on more tackle, maybe a nice 8' 15-30 lbs overall spinning setup for throwing top waters, heavy spoons, diamond jigs and x-raps while walking the beach or in the open ocean, any suggest? Maybe someone's willing to sell a combo

If you go on party boat, youll want at a minimum of two combos, so it could get pretty expensive. You can rent gear at the landings. The gear wont be $1000.00 setups, but they also wont be walmart specials. The only thing i would be concerned about though would be the line thats spooled on the reels, but Im sure you can have new line spooled on them.

Frequent Flyer
09-21-2013, 09:04 PM
I'd say get two setups a 10-25 and then a 20-40. Depends on if you're comfortable with conventional or spinning gear as well as braided line. You can always rent the gear but depending on the landing it may not be the best.

ErikAllen17
09-22-2013, 04:38 PM
I have a Penn Senator 4/0 spooled with (I think) 30-40lb mono on a custom wrapped rod. No name or clue as to the specs, but it's stout and perfect for pelagics on a boat. I'll sell you the setup for $100 if you're interested.

Squid79
10-22-2013, 04:57 AM
look for group on for dana point 25 dollar deals with food ticket that covers 7 buck meal