PDA

View Full Version : Rcok fishing?

fish4phun
09-20-2007, 12:51 AM
Are rock fish line shy? Can I fish straight spectra or do i need some mono attached?

thx

09-20-2007, 01:12 AM
When I used to rockfish I would fish straight spectra with a 4 ft leader of mono making a 2 hook ganion..

farmacist
09-20-2007, 06:50 AM
The mono leader comes in handy when you snag in the rocks, as it's easier to break off. I like 65# spectra w/ 30 or 40# test for the short leader.

b20monster
09-20-2007, 10:40 AM
definitely not line shy.. i was using 65# spectra last week... but yeah that mono leader recommended because its not cool losing 300ft of spectra

cappo
09-20-2007, 11:39 AM
Spectra is the way to go, with few yds of mono topshot. You'll definitely notice the difference and react quicker to the bites

ahhvtec
09-20-2007, 03:18 PM
definitely not line shy.. i was using 65# spectra last week... but yeah that mono leader recommended because its not cool losing 300ft of spectra :lol: :lol: I remember that!

DavidE
09-21-2007, 08:24 AM
Spectra is the way to go, with few yds of mono topshot. You'll definitely notice the difference and react quicker to the bites

I second that!!

sansou
09-21-2007, 09:07 AM
I like to put slightly large swivels in between the mono and spectra, and again a slightly SMALLER clip swivel from the mono to the weight. This may not be necessary if you're fishing shallow, but when fishing + 250 ft, you tend to get a "helicoptering" effect when dropping down and pulling up. Spectra is a pain when it gets twisted.

The smaller clip swivel (to attach the weight) sacrifices your sinker with little effort. When you pull up, all you have to do is rebend the clip or replace the swivel and add a new weight. Saves lots of time, and saves you some $$ especially if you're using an expensive pre-made rock cod rig (the one you can buy locally here that has the crimps and mini swivels for each strand of mono to the hook).

valhalla_1_2000
09-21-2007, 05:50 PM
I definitely like to go with straight spectra while rockfishing. The primary advantage is that if you get in a tangle during a WFO rockfish bite, it cuts through mono like a hot knife through butter.

DavidE
09-25-2007, 11:08 PM
I like to put slightly large swivels in between the mono and spectra, and again a slightly SMALLER clip swivel from the mono to the weight. This may not be necessary if you're fishing shallow, but when fishing + 250 ft, you tend to get a "helicoptering" effect when dropping down and pulling up. Spectra is a pain when it gets twisted.

The smaller clip swivel (to attach the weight) sacrifices your sinker with little effort. When you pull up, all you have to do is rebend the clip or replace the swivel and add a new weight. Saves lots of time, and saves you some $$ especially if you're using an expensive pre-made rock cod rig (the one you can buy locally here that has the crimps and mini swivels for each strand of mono to the hook).

I put a snap swivel to attach the weight too. I've had more than one person tell me that's not necessary. But it definetly reduces if not eliminates the twist. Good point Sansou