PDA

View Full Version : Going to Silverwood this weekend.

Austin E
09-18-2013, 05:48 PM
My sister and her boyfriend are visiting from Spain this week and I want to take him out to hopefully catch some fish this weekend as he's never been fishing before.

Years ago, I fished the backside of Silverwood regularly and caught quite a few schoolies and catfish on anchovies. From searching around the forum, it seems they're still a good bet.

I just transferred down here from Portland and this lake fishing, especially for the warm water fish is something I don't have a ton of experience at. I'd just take him steelhead fishing if I was still up north.

I'm going to continue reading old threads until then to try and up my knowledge.

I may stop and get a couple rainbow lures at BPS on the way up, but any other bait you guys think I should pick up to try and assure he gets on some fish? Looks like anchovies, and some liver from the grocery store.

We'll be going to the backside of the Lake again to hit fish the little coves as I was never a big fan of the dam and I don't have a boat down here.

Thanks
Austin

Hoot951
09-18-2013, 05:57 PM
I haven't been there in about a month but I still hear the stripers are biting on anchovies, sardine, and swimbaits.

fishincouple
09-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Was out today...HELL every few days!! :Smile: Bait is still a good bet. Got some good ones lately. (1 nice 1 out of Miller Canyon today) Off Live Oak Landing point should do you good. Water level is down enuff you should have good shore access. Have fun!

Austin E
09-19-2013, 09:05 AM
Was out today...HELL every few days!! :Smile: Bait is still a good bet. Got some good ones lately. (1 nice 1 out of Miller Canyon today) Off Live Oak Landing point should do you good. Water level is down enuff you should have good shore access. Have fun!

I used to camp overnight, right about here:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=34.296504,+-117.304064&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=6&gl=us&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=34.285304,-117.258625&spn=0.095738,0.209255&z=13&iwloc=A
Not sure if it was legal, but we just hung out all night fishing, fishing off the points. Can you do that over by miller canyon or is someone going to come bug us?

seal
09-19-2013, 09:45 AM
You can fish all night anywhere you can get to on the lake you just have to park up above.

The primary source of food right now is small baitfish and LMB fry so any lure that looks like a shad, silverside or LMB will be good. Last night they were very active on topwater but that is dependent right now on winds and weather, the bite is only going to get better. The backside of the lake is always a good bet, good luck!

Austin E
09-22-2013, 12:45 PM
So we had a fun trip, but the fish were definitely not hungry from shore. We got one dink striper with lines in the water for 24 hours.
There are so many weeds everywhere we battled with every time we reeled in. Saw one guy catch two nice channels near us but that was it besides our little striper.

Probably going to have to take him out with troutonly to get him on some real fish. He didn't have fun reeling in his first fish ever though, and enjoyed staying the night on the lake.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l217/goforzer0/IMG_20130921_162325.jpg

Our loyal guard puppy watching out for the cougars.http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l217/goforzer0/IMG_20130921_202728.jpg

fishincouple
09-30-2013, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the report. Try right off the point of there. Good to hear he enjoyed the lake.

EL JEFE
10-01-2013, 06:44 PM
sounds like you had a good time nonetheless. I wasn't aware you could spend the night on the lake?

fishincouple
10-02-2013, 09:33 AM
EL JEFE....not with a boat, but you can get away with hiking down into a few coves around the lake and stay overnight...."fishing"