PDA

View Full Version : Big pine, rock creek devils post pile, and june lake area questions

Joshnco
09-16-2013, 07:45 PM
I'm heading up 395 next week, ending up in June to meet up with my folks. Since I have from Thursday around noon to Friday at 3pm (when I meet up with my folks) I'm looking to explore/fish/hike some new spots. A couple of friends suggested heading west from Big Pine or Rock Creek, possibly up to Devils Postpile. As I'm not familiar with these spots, I'm hoping for some insight. I'm not sold on any of these, so if there's a better spot I'm more than willing to consider. Looking for good spots to lure, fly or both. What flies and lures seem to be working?

Once in June I want to get away from the 4 lakes and Rush Creek. I want to hike up to Parker Lake, Fren Lake or Agnew Lake, but don't know much about them. Anyone have suggestions for these lakes? How has the wind been lately? Mosquitos?

TUNAVIC
09-16-2013, 08:43 PM
Man Devils Postpile,haven't heard those words in many years,sorry not much info on the fishing out that way,but thanks for invoking great memories,enjoy your trip,and we look forward to your result post!

Cya TunaVic

Kingfish Addict
09-16-2013, 10:59 PM
Rock Creek Lake and Rock Creek both are great places to fish. You have to physically fish a waterway to be sold on it. Try it and develop your own opinions but I love both and will fish them again in the future....

flytyingreloader
09-17-2013, 07:09 PM
For spin-fishing, the less garish-colored Panther Martins--Kastmasters--and Thomas Bouyants seem to be the consensus favorites. On the fly, Matukas in subdued colors (olive, dark blue, black, dark brown) are my all-day favorites, along with old-school Muddlers as all-day strike prompters on most waters. Baetis dries early and late in size 16-22 can do good work also.

Br aware that all waters in this area are in low-water/low-oxygen level condition. Don't spend a tom of time fighting a fish, or it may not survive after release. The critters are REALLY stressed of late.

I'm headed to June Loop tomorrow A.M. Gonna stay 'til the fishing sucks or I get really bored.