PDA

View Full Version : Very late multi reports, and halibut spawn

LuckyCraft420
09-16-2013, 03:43 PM
I havent taken the time to sit down and type up a fishing report in a long time... After Kens (skunked4life) persistent requests, and finally having some free time on my hands, here we are.

About 2 months ago I went float tubing in open ocean with a friend, and got hooked on it right away. I caught my first WSB of the year, a few bass, trophy size smelt, and a short halibut. There was an obvious advantage fishing out farther than you can usually cast from shore, with what seemed to be a wider variety of fish.

I immediately wanted to buy my own float tube, but as usual it got thrown on the back burner for other activities. A month goes by and Josh tells me about a killer halibut bite they had in the same area. We made plans to go the following week on our days off work. In the mean time, I find an almost new float tube on CL for a great deal, and picked it for the trip.

The morning of. Josh, Matt and I get to the location and in the water by 8am. Fairly warm and very clear. We paddled out past the buoy, and it didnt take long to realize the lizard fish had heavy invaded this stretch of the beach. After paddling around and bouncing lures off the bottom we moved closer into shore, and the halibut bite started. Between the 3 of us we caught 30+ halibut (lots of 18-20'ers) in 3.5 hours, 2 were legals. We realized the halibut were spawning when we pulled the males out of the water to unhook them (I want to keep this G rated for kids, lets just say it was obvious). This was the day I learned how a halibut can actually put up a great fight!!! Ive caught my fair share of halibut from the surf and shores of the harbors, and the fights were all relatively the small. A few head shakes, and dragging it in while it hugs the bottom... Catching a 20+ inch halibut from a float tube is easily my new addiction. When you set the hook on them, and pull them up towards the surfaces, they take off running. I had the drag set TIGHT on the bait caster, and my 24.5" legal peeled drag on 4 different runs. My brand new (this was the first time fishing with it) Shimano clarus 9' casting rod was over half way bent over into the water. Great feeling to see the new rod getting broken in the right away. The funny part of these bigger halibut, was how softly they would bite the plastics. You wouldnt feel the bites at all. We'd be drifting around bouncing the lures off the bottom, and we knew the lure was in the fishes mouth when we felt the light tension has we lifted the rod's. The only rods that got slammed were my buddies using live lizard fish.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx221/nim_ken/IMG_0990.jpg (http://s758.photobucket.com/user/nim_ken/media/IMG_0990.jpg.html)

I made another trip back there a week later with a different friend to find the bigger model halibuts had moved on. I still ended up catching a 19.5" butt, and 8 other pancakes in about 4 hours. Still had a good day.

-Ken

42582425834259542596425974259842599426004260142602 4260342604

Wingnut
09-16-2013, 05:01 PM
I see you were able to log back in again... :Wink:
Nice report Ken, see ya at HG5. :Cool:

skunked4life
09-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Nice report! Looks like you've given up on surf fishing for awhile! I heard tubing was the way to go but I am looking to master the surf before anything else. Good to see you fishing.

hollywoodbass
09-16-2013, 05:52 PM
Lots of sharks in that area. Watch your dangling feet under those tubes LOL

LuckyCraft420
09-16-2013, 05:58 PM
Thanks again for the help Arthur.

I'm actually hitting the surf tomorrow with a friend from work. I figured I should get in atleast 1 session before HG5 haha

We know there is a lot sharks in the area. On a prior outing, Matt hooked into 25-30lb thresher that went air born near Josh before breaking off the 8# test. I'm actually more worried about the sea lions. Last thing I want is 1 of those attacking the legal on the kill hook that's attached to the side of the tube.

Jaysuuun
09-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Wow what an epic outing on the Butts! Makes me want to hop back on my float tube and pull on some bass. Keep the reports coming.

bachiboy
09-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Wow, sounds like a great couple of days floating out there. Good to see you got a couple of legals out of all the flapjacks. :Wink: Late report better than no report...thanks for sharing!

Don

JL
09-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Great report. Looks like it was a fun day. Tight Lines and God Bless