PDA

View Full Version : Jenks

Troutin Man
09-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Anyone have a report on Jenks? Thinking about going up in a bit and doing some fishin and relaxin. How's the weed situation?

Appreciate any Info.

Viejo
09-15-2013, 12:10 PM
Anyone have a report on Jenks? Thinking about going up in a bit and doing some fishin and relaxin. How's the weed situation?

Appreciate any Info.

There are some weeds but also plenty of open area. They seem to have stocked. My buddy caught a limit of trout last week on his float tube using Hare's Ear and Pheasant Tail flashback nymphs. Also caught small bass and larger bluegill on black wooly bugger. They also bit on red San Juan worms.

Troutin Man
09-18-2013, 09:41 PM
Thanks for sharing the pic. Looks like a 3/4 pounder dfw stocker? did you throw it out pretty far? i think i am going out early next week. can't wait...haven't fished for trout in like 1.5 months and it's killin me. a person can only work so much i tell ya!

hope you had a good time. thanks for sharing.

Troutin Man
09-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Thanks for sharing the pic. Looks like a 3/4 pounder dfw stocker? did you throw it out pretty far? i think i am going out early next week. can't wait...haven't fished for trout in like 1.5 months and it's killin me. a person can only work so much i tell ya!

hope you had a good time. thanks for sharing.

Troutin Man
09-29-2013, 11:08 PM

Caught at Jenks Lake Friday 9/27/13. Hooked up with at least 25 trout, all released, mostly smaller ones.

Nice! What were you using? Hows the weeds? Would jigging work from shore?

phishin phool
10-03-2013, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the report. According to your report you caught and released 25 trout on powerbait and Salmon eggs?
I used yellow and orange power bait. I added some glitter in the orange, it worked a little less effectively. The yellow worked great!

In the morning, I was catching fish with every cast; about 10 casts in a row, slight break and back on again. It was cold too!

The weeds are there, as usual (I think). There are less weeds than I have seen though. I didn't try jigs, it would probably work fine, but for the weeds... you might get from shore. You'd have a lot less weeds tubing. I didn't tube because of all the wind, it just wasn't worth all the paddling I'd have to do to stay in the middle of the lake :LOL:

I also used salmon eggs suspended with power bait. It worked but not as well as just the floating power bait.

Here is one of the more normal size fish I was catching with a few really smaller ones too.

seal
10-03-2013, 08:30 AM
yes, i did.

didn't use anything else. no flies, no lures, no live bait.

Did you miss the point or do you just not care or understand? Powerbait for C&R you probably killed 50% or more of the trout you "released".

gogreeenz4
10-03-2013, 08:39 AM
Did you miss the point or do you just not care or understand? Powerbait for C&R you probably killed 50% or more of the trout you "released".

Feeding the bass is fine with me...... but i'd say more then 50%chance those "released" trout die or end up where they belong in a bass's belly!

seal
10-03-2013, 08:40 AM
Feeding the bass is fine with me...... but i'd say more then 50%chance those "released" trout die or end up where they belong in a bass's belly!

Jenks lake bass are more likely to end up in a trout's belly.

gogreeenz4
10-03-2013, 08:44 AM
Jenks lake bass are more likely to end up in a trout's belly.

:LOL:that explains why ive never fished it or heard much about it hahahaha

seal
10-03-2013, 10:31 AM
If you are going to C&R you should use barbless hooks you should use lures you shouldn't use bait.

That's my opinion and I'm not going to change it. I will always respond to posts that are indicating C&R with powerbait. Even if you do not agree I do it so others hopefully do not do the same. I don't like the idea of catching fish with 2 or 3 hooks dangling out of their mouths, you are fishing in a mountain lake not a pay to fish pond. You do not know the end result of your efforts just because a trout swims away does not mean it will survive. When you gut hook a trout and are pulling it in by line that is doing damage.

Sorry will never agree there are so many other ways to catch trout that are just as effective if not more effective than using silly puddy.

gogreeenz4
10-03-2013, 10:36 AM
if you are really worried try barbless hooks?

leme ask you this how would you like a hook left in your throat? kind of ironic you name is hookdfisherman...

an i think if a bullet was in seals brain he wouldnt have any opinoins as to what to do he would be dead but good analogy i guess...

an leme ask you this if you were a fish that was gonna die would you rather feed someone or wash up onto shore with three hooks in you throat?

seal
10-03-2013, 10:56 AM
By the way Hookdfisherman I appreciate you be measured and at least listening without a harsh response, others have not when this discussion comes up, thanks.

seal
10-03-2013, 01:41 PM
I like lemon twist combined with garlic in green. You should really be using a treble hook size 4 with at least a 1oz sinker so you can get out to them honey holes.

Have at it!

phishin phool
10-03-2013, 04:48 PM
yes, i did.

didn't use anything else. no flies, no lures, no live bait.
The reason I asked original question is because i am always curious on how people c&r trout on Powerbait. Like Seal I find it hard to believe it is possible all those fish swam away fine. Yes, you can cut line like you said, but with a treble hook stuck in its throat a weak DFW fish will die 95% of the time, maybe not right away but probably shortly after it will be floating. I don't care what you say or how much you write to justify your actions. A single baitholder or barbless.....yes it could survive, but a treble......no. I too have been fishing for trout (primarily c&r) for a long time and over that time I have realized there are alot better ways to catch DFW trout or wild trout for release than Powerbait. And if you are as experienced as you say I don't understand why you still use the stuff in the first place. And if you tell me you fish Powerbait on a single baitholder hook and chuck it out past the weeds.......well, I doubt it. If so you got some serious skills. My suggestion for fishing Jenks and doing c&r is using a gold or silver Panther Martin with a single hook, Red trout worms, or white, yellow and orange jigs, or flies(all with pinched barbs if possible). They will out perform PB anyday at Jenks and are alot easier on the fish. My response was not meant to be offensive, I just get bummed when people put on here (or any public forum) they c&r with PB, just not a good thing for responsible fishing.

phishin phool
10-03-2013, 04:53 PM
Well said. I think I am having a Deja Vu again...... :Big Grin:

If you are going to C&R you should use barbless hooks you should use lures you shouldn't use bait.

That's my opinion and I'm not going to change it. I will always respond to posts that are indicating C&R with powerbait. Even if you do not agree I do it so others hopefully do not do the same. I don't like the idea of catching fish with 2 or 3 hooks dangling out of their mouths, you are fishing in a mountain lake not a pay to fish pond. You do not know the end result of your efforts just because a trout swims away does not mean it will survive. When you gut hook a trout and are pulling it in by line that is doing damage.

Sorry will never agree there are so many other ways to catch trout that are just as effective if not more effective than using silly puddy.

seal
10-03-2013, 07:16 PM
There have been countless discussions on this board re: C&R for rainbow trout. If you think we are the only 2 that have that opinion you need to do more reading. From handling trout with wet hands to protect slime coats, never touch their gills, use special nets once again to protect slime coat etc... There is a reason why there are so many "rules" to C&R of trout it's because they are extremely sensitive throw in the fact what you are catching are mostly very recent DFW stockers that are even more wimpy the chances of survival drops even more. The fact that you seem to be unaware of this tells me that your experience level or education level on trout is not what you have described or you've been living under a rock. Sorry but it's been explained numerous times, you do some research, please.

Viejo
10-03-2013, 07:47 PM
There have been countless discussions on this board re: C&R for rainbow trout. If you think we are the only 2 that have that opinion you need to do more reading. From handling trout with wet hands to protect slime coats, never touch their gills, use special nets once again to protect slime coat etc... There is a reason why there are so many "rules" to C&R of trout it's because they are extremely sensitive throw in the fact what you are catching are mostly very recent DFW stockers that are even more wimpy the chances of survival drops even more. The fact that you seem to be unaware of this tells me that your experience level or education level on trout is not what you have described or you've been living under a rock. Sorry but it's been explained numerous times, you do some research, please.

Seal, you've both always been a strong proponent for fishing ethics and C & R. Depending on your sources....10% of all fish caught and released under the best of conditions die.

Some folks get it....some get part of it...and some never get it. They do what they want to do. I was recently on a fishery up north that has moving water and lots of wild fish. At every easy access water entry, we found one or two dead and dying trout lying on the bottom.....and the usual trash of beer cans, worm boxes and PB jars.

hookdfisherman
10-03-2013, 07:52 PM
http://www.glfsa.org/science/TroutHooking.pdf

hookdfisherman
10-03-2013, 08:02 PM

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/Research/Aquatic/pdf/Publications/PostreleaseHookingMortality1996.pdf

Troutin Man
10-03-2013, 10:08 PM
catch and release with powerbait and treble hook? Really? So a trout swallows a treble hook with yummy chartreuse garlic powerbait, slams the line, and you reel it in. The hook is in it's belly and you cut the line. I think I'd probably die or not do too well if a big *** treble hook was in my belly and I was being pulled by it and I was fightin to get away. Cut the line or not...

besides, powerbait fishing is boring. It's all about jigs, flies, and lures! Lip hook and release! Easy peasy.

Troutin Man
10-03-2013, 10:48 PM
I don't use trebles, T-man, did you read the posts??

Just so you know, I have a one-pole license. I rarely if ever just leave my pole in the water and soak, honestly... sometimes I do leave my pole for a bit but very rarely. I am almost always attentive to the fish-strike and react accordingly. That, my friend, is active fishing.

Read the links, it'll explain active fishing and it also speaks to mortality of trout (wild and wimpy) when hooked.

To be honest, sort of read the posts. Didn't have too much time earlier. As for the active vs. boring fishing... I am talking about the throw the bait out, stick your pole in a holder, pull the line down with a bobber or weight hanging on it...I guess that could be really relaxing...pull out a book, chew on some beef jerky, etc. But I like to hold and feel the bite and hookin' em as they bite! Awesome! However, I have the 2nd Rod Validation so I do sometimes throw at powerbait or live bait, but the other rod and line is always movin!

phishin phool
10-04-2013, 07:01 AM
Sorry to "bum you out".
Yeah......? Like I told you I don't care what you say, write, or post from the internet about survival rates, I am going by decades (35+years)of Trout fishing experience and I have found that small wimpy DFW fish do not usually survive after being drug in by their throat. Catch and release with powerbait=not good and irresponsible. I would think a angler with 40 yrs. of trout fishing experience :Rolls Eyes: would know this......
By they way, all those fish you probably killed could have been caught by someone else, like a young angler just learning or a senior just trying to get his/her limit.

hookdfisherman
10-04-2013, 09:32 AM
http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteColl...tality1996.pdf

hookdfisherman
10-04-2013, 10:57 AM
http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/Research/Aquatic/pdf/Publications/PostreleaseHookingMortality1996.pdf

seal
10-04-2013, 11:12 AM
looks like one of the links is not working here it is again...

At 20%, which is probably way on the low side of reality, that means 2 of 10 fish go belly up include the fact that most are not as careful as you say you are or use optimum methods that number would go way up when not in a controlled study. How many fish would at the end of a regular day fishing then be dead? Too many from my perspective.

You seem to be posting a document that supports our concerns about C&R using powerbait, thanks!

Troutin Man
10-04-2013, 11:01 PM
Wow. You guys really have provided a lot of info on catch and release. Unfortunately, people fish, catch, and some die...which totally sucks. I don't feel right knowing I hooked a trout in it's throat/belly and letting it go...but that's just me. Survival doesn't seem likely when that happens. I will powerbait it, but I know I will keep those and take them home for a great and fantastic meal. Lures and jigs liphooked I release.

Appreciate all the info and opinions. People can read if they are interested and then make decisions from there. However, I think all the info that has been posted has brought Catch and Release to the forefront. At least everyone who has posted are passionate about our sport. I am sure none of you leave trash and crap like the a**holes out there that really screw things up. Keep it real people. Fish the way you want, f****** enjoy it, and make good decisions that help our favorite fish and environment.

Troutin Man
10-04-2013, 11:05 PM
Sorry didn't see your reply... never mind.

No worries dude.
I do both. Keep the ones on bait...release the lip hooked on jigs, flies, and lures.

phishin phool
10-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Wow. You guys really have provided a lot of info on catch and release. Unfortunately, people fish, catch, and some die...which totally sucks. I don't feel right knowing I hooked a trout in it's throat/belly and letting it go...but that's just me. Survival doesn't seem likely when that happens. I will powerbait it, but I know I will keep those and take them home for a great and fantastic meal. Lures and jigs liphooked I release.

Appreciate all the info and opinions. People can read if they are interested and then make decisions from there. However, I think all the info that has been posted has brought Catch and Release to the forefront. At least everyone who has posted are passionate about our sport. I am sure none of you leave trash and crap like the a**holes out there that really screw things up. Keep it real people. Fish the way you want, f****** enjoy it, and make good decisions that help our favorite fish and environment.
Well said TM:Thumbs Up:

seal
10-06-2013, 08:57 PM
T-man, thanks for your measured response. You and Viejo are the only persons who have actually been measured and thoughtful. I admit that I have not been measured, at all. I am glad both of you responded. Thanks.

One last point to all fisherman on this forum:

Let's say based on the scientific research presented that the 20% survival rate using power bait is valid. Based on this, of the 25 fish I caught, five (0.20 x 25 = 5) are "potentially" going to die.

By phools and seals standards, One should not release either 95% (24 trout) or 50% (13 trout), respectively, of these power bait caught fish. One should be taking the fish home and cookin' 'em up because they are going to die!... anyway that's their supposed theory, I assume.

But, If one was forced to select the five fish that are supposed to be kept because, statistically speaking, they are going to die; what criteria should one use?

Which of the five out of 25 fish does one destroy? Which ones and in what quantity would one need to destroy in order to satisfy those (seal and phool) against the bait fisherman who catch and release their fish? How does one choose the correct fish and in what quantity?

I can't use the severely damaged criteria (there were none), I can't use the severity of gut-hook (some of those also survived for three weeks and probably longer, but they unfortunately died for the study).

I could flip a coin... that doesn't seem fair, after all, that "unlucky" coin-flip fish may have actually survived. And the coin flip method would in the long run bring the death rate to, at least!, the invalid 50/50 ratio anyway.

Please remember, of the 25 fish I landed: None were overly damaged (by my rudimentary standards). They all seemed minimally damaged and they were all strong enough to swim away.

Maybe I should kill the smallest ones, nah I would rather eat the bigger ones.

Or, maybe I can just evaluate by their minimal blood loss and ability to swim away, which ones live and which ones just will not survive? (I do keep the severely damaged, large or small, cook 'em up and enjoy a great meal!) Honestly, I would like to release the strong back into the wild to hopefully survive. I can live with the fact that each fish gets a fair chance at survival providing they prove their ability to do so.

Ultimately, this is my point, if I take the fish home, they are dead. If I let them go under their own power, they may live. Those five "may" die but that is just a probability, there is no guarantee of eminent death unless I take 'em home with me and again, which ones and how do I select?

Can't I just leave the my seemingly healthy fish seal and phool think I should kill and hope it lives so some kid or that senior citizen can catch them another day?

Heck, maybe even seal and phool can catch my surviving trout ... hopefully when I am not around...:Neutral:

Btw, I ALWAYS pack out others left-behind line, leaders and trash. I cart it away in a zip lock bag that I always carry solely for that reason. I look for and keep all swivels and sinkers left behind and reuse them. I always leave it cleaner than when I arrived.

It's simple C&R properly using techniques that are accepted or leave after you catch your 5 power bait fish. Or catch 4 power bait fish and start using C&R techniques or get a second rod pass and toss lures while waiting for a bite, or just continue doing what your doing with the knowledge your are leaving behind more dead fish than you should be. This is getting ridiculous, funniest part is when you called Viejo measured, lol, no offense but Viejo is about as serious as they come about this stuff!

seal
10-07-2013, 11:25 AM
Word.......................

smalweld
10-07-2013, 09:33 PM
One last point to all fisherman on this forum:

Let's say based on the scientific research presented that the 20% survival rate using power bait is valid. Based on this, of the 25 fish I caught, five (0.20 x 25 = 5) are "potentially" going to die.

Anyone else besides me think that something is wrong with his math... If 20% survive as in "are still living a day later" then its not that 5 are going to die but that 20 have the potential to die.

phishin phool
10-07-2013, 10:09 PM
You are not qualified to educate me. Your weak links are not even relevant to original topic. Releasing gut hooked DFW trout(or any trout). A 17 year old review by people who are not even qualified "anglers" and the fact that you look to the internet instead of actual experience shows your lack of knowledge about responsible C&R. This post started out a little rough but I hoped it would maybe get you to think a little differently, but your harsh responses showed that it is not possible with someone with such internet fishing experience, knows everything, seems to want to instigate conflict, cool with me, I'll play for one more post. I just today saw your responses to this thread and the fact that you debate (with indignation) Seal is comedy. He is one of the most respected and experienced anglers on this board. You should listen to him, you might learn something. All gut hooked fish should be kept and counted towards your limit. If you want to C&R 25 gut hooked fish caught on Powerbait go ahead, it just makes you look like a greedy poacher. And blowing it up on a thread for possibly some inexperienced anglers to see and think "it is ok" is totally irresponsible. I guess you just wanted some attention and your 15 minutes of FNN fame.
Again,

I explained my criteria for my catch and release of the fish I land.

phish, you and seal can give me all the percentages of dead and dying fish with a hook inside of it you want, but these numbers are just your opinions, correct? I mean you do not have evidence confirming the predictions that you two are making, do you?

It's really just a feeling you two have... concerning responsible fishing and the pros and cons of catch and release using specific methods to catch the fish, correct?

Let me know if I am mistaken...

I choose to catch and release whenever I can. If the fish swims off on its own, I let it go. If the fish cannot, I keep it. I prefer to release the fish and maybe it will grow up to be the monster fish I someday hope to catch.

As before, I know that if I keep the fish, it WILL be dead, 100% no chance for survival... if I release the fish, it might or might not die, but it will have a chance. Even if it's "Your" predicted 5% survival rate, I am willing to take that chance; why are you opposed to that idea?

Here,

Let me attempt educate you two, one last and final time:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteColl...tality1996.pdf

Just read them, all the way through of course, then if you can tell me the actual numbers for survival rates, of a wild and wimpy trout caught with artificial bait, then at least I will know you understand just a little of what I have been trying to say.

phool, you are not and have not been, for soooo many years, an advocate of the power bait fisherman. You have practically no experience catching and releasing this method-caught fish, this completely legal DFW trout catching technique. You have no current, first hand observations of the release of such a caught fish. How can you say you know that catch and release fish caught with power bait usually die? In reality, you have truly no idea IF this "legal technique caught fish" can or cannot survive.

I emphasize "IF" because granted some do not survive. "Depending on your sources....10% of all fish caught and released under the best of conditions die". I understand that more fish will die if conditions for the hooked fish are not ideal. But, not in the false ratios you and seal have been putting out there.

This debate of the Conscientious Fisherman/Woman/ Child , the humane or inhumane technique of angling, the "rules" of catch and release has fueled many fires. It will continue to do so, forever.

I just know that from the only two reports I actually looked at, my power bait caught fish have some sort of survival rate. This power bait caught fish, while not as good as a fly/lure caught fish, can and does survive. I now have an actual number... not some number thrown out there just to try to prove a point... which is all I have been trying to say.

Bait fishing is probably the best way to teach a small child the thrills of a fish tugging on a line.

If you can teach that child to sit with his/her pole in their hand, strike as soon as the fish takes the bait, get the fish in as quickly as possible, keep the fish in the water at all times, don't handle the fish unless you have to, and if you do, do it with wet hands, release the fish as gently and free of human related damage/terminal tackle as possible, well...who could ask for more?

This child may just grow up to be a responsible fisherman/woman who cares about the fish, releases as many fish as possible, gives that fish the best chances of survival with whatever legal fishing technique the "responsible" chooses to use, all the while hoping that their fish lives to be caught another day.

Troutin Man
10-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Ok fellow anglers. Since the debate rages on and I started this thread...oh damn...I just pulled that card...I will have to decide on the matter...sure...why the hell not!

Powerbait with hook in the throat and gut is not good for trout. Lip hooked is better for sure. No one can argue that.

Anyone else gettin' on this soap box? :Soap Box:

Let's enjoy the cool weather and rain coming this week. That is good for trout eh? :Cold Fishing:

Tom
10-26-2013, 08:17 AM
Ok fellow anglers. Since the debate rages on and I started this thread...oh damn...I just pulled that card...I will have to decide on the matter...sure...why the hell not!

Powerbait with hook in the throat and gut is not good for trout. Lip hooked is better for sure. No one can argue that.

Anyone else gettin' on this soap box? :Soap Box:

Let's enjoy the cool weather and rain coming this week. That is good for trout eh? :Cold Fishing:

Sure I will bite.......never Never NEVER grab a trout with Dry hands NEVER...try not to even lift them out of the water
If you Grab a trout with Dry hands it will DIE i do have much Experience with this as for a few years had trout in a pond
If you grab a trout with dry hands and let it go it will swim off....a couple days later your hand and finger prints will show on the sides of the fish...4-5 days later he will be dead
same goes for a rope/string type new.....the nets marks show up a couple days after and a few days later they are dead....use a rubber net and make sure it is wett
removing the slime on a trout will Kill it......later when you gone
Also if the fish is Gut hooked just Cut the line and let it go..same if the fish is hooked deep in the mouth
just Cut the line and let is go
about 75% of the time it will live...try and not make it bleed
Just because the trout swallowed the hook does not mean it will die.... i have seen them poop the hook and line out

Ok you guy go about your useless argument..No one will listen...all the time you see trout and Bass miss handled
Bass guys are the worst...letting the bass hit the carpet in the bass boat..or bending the lower jaw

Tom
10-26-2013, 08:20 AM
You can get any gut hook out if you know how. What you need to do is have a good set of needle nose and come in though the gill. Grab the hook and just rotate it and it comes right out everytime. Look to see which way the hook is in and come in on the side that the point of the hook is facing. If the hook is face up or down in the fishes mouth you can do it from either side. I should make a video of it and post it..But i can't even figure out how to post pics on here ..so a video is out of the question.
This will KILL the trout a few days later or a few hours later....
a couple days later as your sipping coffee the trout will be belly up

esteban1t
10-26-2013, 10:20 AM
If you have 35+ years of trout fishing experience than you should know what a hook will do to a trouts insides while its hooked and you are fighting it. The hook rips holes the fishes guts, especially when you set the hook. Trout are probably the most sensitive fish and most of the time die, any one with a brain should be able to figure out why releasing a gut hooked fish is bad.

ben0606
10-28-2013, 08:22 AM
Hookd,

I don't question your experience and your intent as I'm sure your intent is to just fish respectfully. I do say that even with the most care and due diligence the chances of death are still higher by c&r. My example is if I catch my limit and leave I killed 5. If I c&r 25 fish, there is a CHANCE, hence I say chance that all 25 COULD die. You are effecting more fish one way or another instead of limiting and calling it a day.

Getting the hook out is not the main point I think everyone is expressing, the fight with a hook in the belly does the killer damage IMO.

Don't get me wrong I've c&r too just not trout cause they are so fragile. I have at times using lures and lipped them but I don't even take them out of the water and don't even touch them but like I said I usually catch my limit and stop. Of course that sucks when you limit in 30 min but that's fishing.

Seal was actually being very respectful in displaying his disagreement, shoot he even apologized I think I read. He was just trying to spread knowledge just as you are.

Just agree to disagree and go fish, especially with the storm in town.

seal
10-28-2013, 09:29 AM
Problem is not everybody is as proficient at gut hooked C&R as Hookdfisherman professes to be and the learning curve involved to get to that level of ability will generate a large amount of belly up (or dead on the bottom they don't all go belly up) trout.

But he seems to have some strange agenda to promote gut hooked C&R, can't quite understand the reason cause it just keeps going on and on and........

Viejo
10-28-2013, 02:06 PM
Problem is not everybody is as proficient at gut hooked C&R as Hookdfisherman professes to be and the learning curve involved to get to that level of ability will generate a large amount of belly up (or dead on the bottom they don't all go belly up) trout.

But he seems to have some strange agenda to promote gut hooked C&R, can't quite understand the reason cause it just keeps going on and on and........

Yep. You called it.

seal
10-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Ok I'm sorry but this is just getting comical! You seem to gloss right over the fact that anytime you guthook a trout the chances of doing damage are high and keep coming back with methods that slightly increase the chances of survival if the situation and technique used are perfect.

This is logic for defending your position? Or are you just playing games with us at this point? My bet is playing games.

Hookdfisherman you may have "hooked" me for a while but now it's over, please keep playing with yourself or enjoy playing with the next FNN member who is foolish enough to take your bait!

IncredibleHuck
10-28-2013, 04:55 PM
Ok I'm sorry but this is just getting comical! You seem to gloss right over the fact that anytime you guthook a trout the chances of doing damage are high and keep coming back with methods that slightly increase the chances of survival if the situation and technique used are perfect.

This is logic for defending your position? Or are you just playing games with us at this point? My bet is playing games.

Hookdfisherman you may have "hooked" me for a while but now it's over, please keep playing with yourself or enjoy playing with the next FNN member who is foolish enough to take your bait!

Surprised you went this long! Didn't you know you could lip hook trout everytime with powerbait!

phishin phool
10-28-2013, 05:29 PM
I had a feeling this joker was TROLLing after initial go round, and his follow up posts just made it obvious. I was hoping people would just ignore him and his ridiculous posts but I guess they were to much to ignore.
http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k582/teryherm1/index_zpsedcc8a60.jpg (http://s1117.photobucket.com/user/teryherm1/media/index_zpsedcc8a60.jpg.html)
^^^^^^Hookdfisherman....errrrr....trollerman

seal
10-29-2013, 09:09 AM
quit calling me and anyone else who fishes the way i fish "idiots" (that is NOT cool!), and i will drop it

Calling people idiots is not normally my style. After reviewing all posts I do not see once that I have called you an idiot. But what the hell I can always break away and do it just once.

You're an idiot!

There I feel better now.

seal
10-29-2013, 09:10 AM
Surprised you went this long! Didn't you know you could lip hook trout everytime with powerbait!

Huck I seem to be easier to catch than a green carp, think I'm the idiot!

IncredibleHuck
10-29-2013, 12:58 PM
seal, seal ,seal,

Calling people idiots is not normally your style??

What most people see in others is a tendency they see in themselves.

What most people do in one part of their lives, they tend to do in other parts of their lives.

You are the cliche...

Try re-reading your other posts in other threads that you've decided to put your most respected and experienced 2-cents worth of knowledge. That is where you will see more evidence of your great and powerful wisdom at work (where you call others: idiots). Your 2-cents invade this forum. Everywhere I look, there you are, acting like you have something that no one else has...

Being respected by your peers is a great thing, fishing fool while being the complete namesake that he is; his respect is not so a great. That guy, your friend who looks up to you... probably can't read and if he does, skims... is a real joke. He has no heart, no backbone and really cannot or does not even think for himself. He is the consummate phool.

I hope someday, somewhere in the far distant future, no doubt; that you will look back upon this experience and take it for what it's meant to be: a time for reflection of the way people (that would be you) live their lives, how others live theirs and realize there are things to choose and grow from and things to observe and just turn the other way.

Good luck wherever you drop a line.

What in the blue hell?

Viejo
10-29-2013, 03:01 PM
LOL, take it for whatever you need it to be... let's catch some fish!

Not sure that this is a guy (albeit who claims to be a vet....one with a lot of time on his hands) I would let work on my dog.

seal
10-31-2013, 09:31 AM
seal Remember this? lol enjoy!

Actually I completely support the protection of mountain stream fish mostly because of the idiots that go up there and trash the joint and use powerbait for C&R.

I also support the death of all green carp!

I don't see the point of this thread but that's just me.

Last edited by seal; 10-25-2013 at 08:45 AM.

Let me rephrase my earlier idiot comment, I do not usually call individual posters idiots, ok idiot?

IncredibleHuck
10-31-2013, 11:09 AM
"rephrase?, seriously...rephrase??? That could also be "rephrased" to what is commonly known as backtrack, the archaic internet defines it as follows:

back·track (bktrk)
intr.v. back·tracked, back·track·ing, back·tracks
1. To go back over the course by which one has come.
2. To return to a previous point or subject, as in a lecture or discussion.
3. To reverse one's position or policy.

This might also be considered "rephrase" but I doubt it...

Quote(s) Originally Posted by seal View Post

At 20%, which is probably way on the low side of reality, that means 2 of 10 fish go belly up include the fact that most are not as careful as you say you are or use optimum methods that number would go way up when not in a controlled study. How many fish would at the end of a regular day fishing then be dead? Too many from my perspective.

Sematically speaking, how about something along these lines; Would this count (toward SOME kind of (laughable) limit)? Maybe not...now that you have "rephrased", (lol) your original statement to suit your needs...

10-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Thread: Now Obama is taking away our national parks?
by seal
Replies
Views
Defending either group of idiots is idiotic.

You have one hard on for Seal.

seal
10-31-2013, 11:09 AM
"rephrase?, seriously...rephrase??? That could also be "rephrased" to what is commonly known as backtrack, the archaic internet defines it as follows:

back·track (bktrk)
intr.v. back·tracked, back·track·ing, back·tracks
1. To go back over the course by which one has come.
2. To return to a previous point or subject, as in a lecture or discussion.
3. To reverse one's position or policy.

This might also be considered "rephrase" but I doubt it...

Quote(s) Originally Posted by seal View Post

Sematically speaking, how about something along these lines; Would this count (toward SOME kind of (laughable) limit)? Maybe not...now that you have "rephrased", (lol) your original statement to suit your needs...

10-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Thread: Now Obama is taking away our national parks?
by seal
Replies
Views
Defending either group of idiots is idiotic.

Why am I getting that feeling I know you from the general section? Do you have another screen name?

And please if I am arguing with a liberal, somebody shoot me!

seal
10-31-2013, 12:40 PM
You have one hard on for Seal.

Huck I get myself into these situations. Should have ignored him after about his second post but now I'm suffering from morbid curiosity as to who it is? There's something about her, his or it's writing style that has my old brain clunking away trying to put 2 and 2 together.

Anyways it's done a fine job of annoying me so it's got that going for it!

etucker1959
10-31-2013, 01:34 PM
Huck I get myself into these situations. Should have ignored him after about his second post but now I'm suffering from morbid curiosity as to who it is? There's something about her, his or it's writing style that has my old brain clunking away trying to put 2 and 2 together.

Anyways it's done a fine job of annoying me so it's got that going for it!

Seal, you should take great satisfaction in how much entertainment value you provide to the audience. This thread should go over 5,000 views before it's finished. I could make a pretty good guess on who our mystery man Might be. I'll give you a hint it starts with an S.

seal
10-31-2013, 02:29 PM
Does this bring back any memories?

Originally Posted by DarkShadow

your=posses(s)ive (sp)
you're="you are"

Learn it, or the internet trolls will get you

You're an ahole! Did I get it right this time ?
Last edited by seal; 10-08-2013 at 02:06 PM.

No? Well, if anything... semantically speaking, this might count towards your limit.

As far as ignoring into my second post... you had to try to protect your over glorified rep on this board. You really wouldn't want to let your ol' friend, the fool, down; now would'ya?

Dr. David Bruce Banner: That's where the real boner lays. (seal, you're just a mild mannered bone).

You really are an idiot, DarkShadow knows it was a joke.

You really are some kind of a stalker aren't you?

seal
10-31-2013, 02:31 PM
Seal, you should take great satisfaction in how much entertainment value you provide to the audience. This thread should go over 5,000 views before it's finished. I could make a pretty good guess on who our mystery man Might be. I'll give you a hint it starts with an S.

Now I'm worried he's going to look up all the terms of endearment I've tossed you're way, lol! Starts with an "S", I got noth'n. Can we play hangman?

seal
10-31-2013, 04:19 PM
You are truly a waste of time, be proud you are the first ever I've put on ignore.

DarkShadow
10-31-2013, 04:25 PM
You really are an idiot, DarkShadow knows it was a joke.

What? This thread?

You sure are correct.

seal
10-31-2013, 04:31 PM
What? This thread?

You sure are correct.

Ahole, lol!

etucker1959
10-31-2013, 06:21 PM
Now I'm worried he's going to look up all the terms of endearment I've tossed you're way, lol! Starts with an "S", I got noth'n. Can we play hangman?
You already got the right answer.

fly addict
10-31-2013, 10:21 PM
When a fish swallows the hook, what is the best course of action?

We've all heard the "The hook will rust out" thing before. To me it makes sense, but at the same time, sounds like a rusting hook in a fishes gullet would cause all kinds of digestive and feeding problems.

Yanking the hook almost always guarantees fish mortality.

I remember as a kid, My grandpa used to stick a stick down bullheads mouths and spin them in circles. That too me sounds like a recipe for guaranteed fish mortality as well.

I have seen those tools for removing swallowed hooks. Sometimes they are effective, sometimes not.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this? I'm sure there has to be a "best" method to ensure fish survival. What do you guys do?

Interesting thread, To answer your last question, I think this is best way to insure a fish the best chance of survival after you have caught it is.
Fly fish with barbless hooks, most of the time the fish will be hooked on the lip or corner of the mouth. Use a Ketchum Release Tool and don’t touch the fish with your hands period. Also don’t play a fish to exhaustion, especially in higher water temps. I fish a lot of C & R streams, and the fish are under a lot of stress. I try to do my part to insure the fish have the best chance for survival. If you must use a net, get one of the ones with a rubber bag and keep the fish in the water while you release it. If you must take a photo do it while the fish is in water. And dragging a fish through the dirt or laying it on rocks to get a photo is real stupid if you plan on releasing it unharmed.

Troutin Man
11-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Interesting thread, To answer your last question, I think this is best way to insure a fish the best chance of survival after you have caught it is.
Fly fish with barbless hooks, most of the time the fish will be hooked on the lip or corner of the mouth. Use a Ketchum Release Tool and don’t touch the fish with your hands period. Also don’t play a fish to exhaustion, especially in higher water temps. I fish a lot of C & R streams, and the fish are under a lot of stress. I try to do my part to insure the fish have the best chance for survival. If you must use a net, get one of the ones with a rubber bag and keep the fish in the water while you release it. If you must take a photo do it while the fish is in water. And dragging a fish through the dirt or laying it on rocks to get a photo is real stupid if you plan on releasing it unharmed.

Totally agree with you on the C&R with barbless hooks. So much easier for a fish to survive. I still don't get how hookin' a fish with a treble hook deep in the throat/gut is ok and the fish will survive. Common already! Anyone else???

seal
11-05-2013, 07:08 AM
Sure feels good not to have to read you're drivel anymore.

Big Willy
11-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Seal, you and People like you annoy good fisherman off this forum. I have enjoyed the outdoors(fishing and hunting) all over the world my whole life. I have plenty to share with new fisherman and old alike. Funny stories, great reports, useful information and pictures to back it up. I don't because of people like you. If your kind just shut up sometimes and let other people have opinions and share this site. Then there would be so much more knowledge here to be shared.

Hope this helps.
Big Willy

Big Willy
11-05-2013, 09:39 AM
Were talking about Planted 1/2 dead DFG stockers here right. Is it that freaking serious?

IncredibleHuck
11-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Seal, you and People like you annoy good fisherman off this forum. I have enjoyed the outdoors(fishing and hunting) all over the world my whole life. I have plenty to share with new fisherman and old alike. Funny stories, great reports, useful information and pictures to back it up. I don't because of people like you. If your kind just shut up sometimes and let other people have opinions and share this site. Then there would be so much more knowledge here to be shared.

Hope this helps.
Big Willy

Maybe you should learn proper catch and release practices like Seal is trying to tell him here.

seal
11-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Were talking about Planted 1/2 dead DFG stockers here right. Is it that freaking serious?

I will never again point to any fishing regulations or what I consider proper fishing etiquette and methods. I am tired of trying.

I have decided to discontinue that practice prior to you're posts, it seems to get nowhere quick. I can only hope that new fisherman and youth get a good mentor so that they become good stewards for the sport of fishing and hunting by the way.

On the water I don't judge, I don't interfere, on this website I thought possibly since I'm a bit older and have been fishing all my life and also have been a member of this website for a while that maybe my experience could be useful but what I get for it in return is certainly not worth the effort.

Thanks

Big Willy
11-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Thanks, I know how.

seal
11-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Oh and the individual you are seemingly defending is nothing but a troll, his attempts have been only to piss me off, it took me a while (dense I guess) to figure that out but really if you want to defend someone you seem to have picked a strange bedfellow.

seal
11-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Maybe you should learn proper catch and release practices like Seal is trying to tell him here.

Thanks Huck but it's just not worth it on this website anymore.

Big Willy
11-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Things come off wrong when you type it on the internet. Preaching doesn't work. Seriously

Big Willy
11-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Im not defending him, or catching 25 fish on power bait. I think that is pretty bad. Change it up, use a lure. I could tell he was messing with you over and over again, because he doesn't like your preaching. Seemed like a troll with a target. Good luck with that. Im sure he will be under a new name shortly to mess with you some more. I think you would be good at telling people in person like a seminar at your local boys and girls club. YMCA ect. That would help. Kids listen, old men who have fished for 40 years don't. Try a different avenue instead of making people feel stupid with fake percentages and guilt. I would donate time and money to you using your knowledge in a productive place.

Big Willy
11-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Bedfellow, HA. That's what Im talking about SEAL. Reread my original post. Did I mention him? I think I was straight forward and not about the power baiter.

seal
11-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Bedfellow, HA. That's what Im talking about SEAL. Reread my original post. Did I mention him? I think I was straight forward and not about the power baiter.

I didn't read his response and am not going to, he's on ignore. So I assumed you were responding to something he wrote, the timing seemed to indicate that.

But it's cool and no more "lectures" from me.

Big Willy
11-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Nonsense, followed by false promises. Are you in politics?

IncredibleHuck
11-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Nonsense, followed by false promises. Are you in politics?

And do we have another troll?

Big Willy
11-05-2013, 12:25 PM
funny. Huck. Funny. No I'm not and thanks for asking. I'm a contributing adult to the fishing community that I enjoy. Be it Salt, Fresh or Stream. Catch and release almost all of the trout I can trick in to biting my fly or lure.
I understand you are trying to stick up for a friend. I would say this thread is pretty much over and your useless input is not necessary. Thanks.

Mine isn't either, so Im out.

etucker1959
11-05-2013, 12:31 PM
I'll bet my reputation, which is almost worthless here!!!! That this thread isn't over just yet. lol

DarkShadow
11-05-2013, 01:16 PM
http://english-fly-fishing-flies.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/st4-garrydog.jpg

I'm letting my fish swallow my fly before I set the hook, now that I have been properly educated.

seal
11-05-2013, 02:57 PM
And do we have another troll?

Good call Huck.

seal
11-05-2013, 02:59 PM
I'll bet my reputation, which is almost worthless here!!!! That this thread isn't over just yet. lol

Etucker I leave it to you to carry on this cluster fk if you'd like, but I'm a done!

Big Willy
11-05-2013, 04:09 PM
listen here old man. Im not a troll, an idiot, a rookie, a newbie or anything else you like to call people on here. I have spent more time on the water than most, and in more remote/tropical places. I'm a rodsmith by trade that give back to the community and church all the time. All you need to do is swallow your pride a bit and stop talking **** on the internet. Man up! Done, I wish you were done here.

etucker1959
11-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Etucker I leave it to you to carry on this cluster fk if you'd like, but I'm a done!

Cluster FK's are not my style. I hope the people on this thread end up being good contributing members to FNN. Only time will tell.

Viejo
11-15-2013, 12:05 PM
seal is at it again, in another part of this forum...

This Charlie Foxtrot was created by the "supposed" FN.N senior members.

Good Contributing Members are everywhere. They are reading many posts and making logical and informed decisions.

Do you know what passive-aggressive behavior is? It's when you say: "I hope the people on this thread end up being good contributing members to FNN. Only time will tell".

Time will NOT TELL; why are you already condemning the people on this thread (or people who may want to contribute to this thread)? We are not going to end up being good or "bad" contributors as you insinuate. We are adding dialog. Sure, some of the dialog is heated, it's all to prove a point... a SHARP POINT! (It is needed for some).
Do you, along with select others, also want to silence the members who disagree with you? Whether through passive-aggressive behavior, trying to preach, or denigrating their input with dis-information and condescending attitudes?
Why don't you "senior members" quit being judgmental and let others speak?
Maybe take two months off and let other voices be heard. You just might see more open dialog between other members.
Or, you can just keep doing what you're doing and "own" this site; with your stunted views that attempt to lessen and limit other valid viewpoints.
But really, you should try it, you just might see a better FN.N

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh565/viejo1/cool-post-bro.jpg (http://s1252.photobucket.com/user/viejo1/media/cool-post-bro.jpg.html)
What a bunch of sanctimonious bull ****.

hookdfisherman
11-15-2013, 06:57 PM
After getting a "message of hostility" from seal (conveniently deleted) and a fair warning from the administrator:

"Friendly warning...

You two need to squash the hostilities on the board or stop responding to each other's posts".

I feel it best to also "conveniently" delete most all of my posts .

Thanks all,

hook'd

Troutin Man
11-15-2013, 07:36 PM
http://english-fly-fishing-flies.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/st4-garrydog.jpg

I'm letting my fish swallow my fly before I set the hook, now that I have been properly educated.

Let it swallow. Don't set the hook and when you pull it out of the water, grab it with two DRY hands, pull back the jaw, and twist the treble hook out of its gut. Then let it go. A successful catch and release my friends!

Troutin Man
11-15-2013, 07:43 PM
What's annoying to me is to see someone use powerbait and catch their five, put them in a bucket, and keep baitin. Then they catch more...passed their limit. One dude caught 15 trout at a local lake. I said my piece to the a**hole, but he kept going. I've seen others pull the smaller trout out of their cages to stay at 5.

Troutin Man
11-15-2013, 07:48 PM
:Nut Kick:

Viejo
11-19-2013, 12:09 PM
After getting a "message of hostility" from seal (conveniently deleted) and a fair warning from the administrator:

"Friendly warning...

You two need to squash the hostilities on the board or stop responding to each other's posts".

I feel it best to also "conveniently" delete most all of my posts .

Thanks all,

hook'd

Not only sanctimonious but willing to put his money where his/her mouth is. :LOL:

hookdfisherman
11-19-2013, 01:40 PM
Not only sanctimonious but willing to put his money where his/her mouth is. :LOL:

Viejo, you're just gettin too old (viejo fits you perfectly).

You do not make any sense whatsoever.

You did well at your first couple of posts but the last few are going downhill fast.

Quit skimming and proofread, you might start to make a bit more sense.

hookdfisherman
11-19-2013, 01:46 PM

Care to make any corrections??

OR,

Are you gonna go with that GIBBERISH?

LOL

.l

Viejo
11-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Care to make any corrections??

OR,

Are you gonna go with that GIBBERISH?

LOL

.l

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh565/viejo1/cool-post-bro.jpg

Hell yes, I'm old. Born in 1944. Keeping up just fine, thank you.

Troutin Man
11-27-2013, 09:43 PM
What's annoying to me is to see someone use powerbait and catch their five, put them in a bucket, and keep baitin. Then they catch more...passed their limit. One dude caught 15 trout at a local lake. I said my piece to the a**hole, but he kept going. I've seen others pull the smaller trout out of their cages to stay at 5.

So I am replying to my own quote. Whatever.

I went to Lincoln Park today. Fished for about an hour. Dfg planted early this week and saw a guy with a bucket of trout...about 15 to 20. WTF! He was so proud of himself too. Unreal.

Troutin Man
12-16-2013, 10:39 PM
So I was fishing today and caught a trout on powerbait and thought I'd give catch and release a shot. SEAL...don't hate me. Just thought I'd try out Hookdfisherman's steps on catch and releasing trout when hooked in the gut.

So I gave it a whirl and guess what happened...I followed the method as mentioned by Hookdfisherman and let the fish go. It had a bit of tough time gettin' going. Well it finally swam off for about 10 to 15 seconds...then it circled back and croaked 4 feet from shore. Dead.

So much for catch and release using a treble hook with doughbait.

I gave it a shot...pulled the trout back in with my net to not waste and was one of my 3 I took home from my local lake.

hookdfisherman
12-16-2013, 11:49 PM
So I was fishing today and caught a trout on powerbait and thought I'd give catch and release a shot. SEAL...don't hate me. Just thought I'd try out Hookdfisherman's steps on catch and releasing trout when hooked in the gut.

So I gave it a whirl and guess what happened...I followed the method as mentioned by Hookdfisherman and let the fish go. It had a bit of tough time gettin' going. Well it finally swam off for about 10 to 15 seconds...then it circled back and croaked 4 feet from shore. Dead.

I gave it a shot...pulled the trout back in with my net to not waste and was one of my 3 I took home from my local lake.

You're a bonehead...

Troutin Man
12-17-2013, 11:33 PM
I am a bonehead...wow...the trout died on C&R hooked in the gut/throat and you are calling me a bonehead. Alrighty then.

I think we all know the deal here about "A bonehead." :Rolls Eyes: I am just reporting what happened...after all this is what this forum is about...I don't think it is about calling people names.

hookdfisherman
12-18-2013, 12:31 AM

catch and release with powerbait and treble hook? Really? So a trout swallows a treble hook with yummy chartreuse garlic powerbait, slams the line, and you reel it in. The hook is in it's belly and you cut the line. I think I'd probably die or not do too well if a big *** treble hook was in my belly and I was being pulled by it and I was fightin to get away. Cut the line or not...

besides, powerbait fishing is boring. It's all about jigs, flies, and lures! Lip hook and release! Easy peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by hookdfisherman View Post
I don't use trebles, T-man, did you read the posts??

Just so you know, I have a one-pole license. I rarely if ever just leave my pole in the water and soak, honestly... sometimes I do leave my pole for a bit but very rarely. I am almost always attentive to the fish-strike and react accordingly. That, my friend, is active fishing.

Read the links, it'll explain active fishing and it also speaks to mortality of trout (wild and wimpy) when hooked.

To be honest, sort of read the posts. Didn't have too much time earlier. As for the active vs. boring fishing... I am talking about the throw the bait out, stick your pole in a holder, pull the line down with a bobber or weight hanging on it...I guess that could be really relaxing...pull out a book, chew on some beef jerky, etc. But I like to hold and feel the bite and hookin' em as they bite! Awesome! However, I have the 2nd Rod Validation so I do sometimes throw at powerbait or live bait, but the other rod and line is always movin!

I am a bonehead...wow...the trout died on C&R hooked in the gut/throat and you are calling me a bonehead. Alrighty then.

I think we all know the deal here about "A bonehead." :Rolls Eyes: I am just reporting what happened...after all this is what this forum is about...I don't think it is about calling people names.

Troutin Idiot... you really are a bonehead. It seems others can call people idiots, so in the spirit of the topic, yes you fit the names. Just Reporting what happened is fine, I applaud your efforts, but if you're going to kill fish and blame it on catch and release, don't even try to assume you are using the techniques I use, especially when you do not!

Instead of trying to keep your post alive, to which you really have contributed nothing... and you really didn't read the thread anyway, why don't you just fill your head with that beef jerky you seem to love so much and only come back when you can speak with some form of intelligence (at least pay some attention before you attempt to speak on this subject) and quit skimming, you're starting to fit into the skimmer category.

Do a little research, read the links I have posted... look for other information on the archaic internet. Come back and report on your findings, then I might stop calling you the names (that fit you at the moment) and think differently about your persona.

Troutin Man
12-18-2013, 06:25 PM
Does my persona really matter? Troutin Idiot...that's phunny though. I have to hand it too you. Thanxs four the laff.

The trout that I netted we ended up eating last night; it was quite tasty. Glad I was able to get it back. And yes...you called it...I skimmed because...

That day I powerbaited because they were drying out...thought I would use before they became flaky. And yes I have also stated that I bait fish, but I keep those. But I certainly enjoy jigs and lures. Sometimes I keep those because I am hungry.

So let's keep my post alive. Let's chat again on Christmas Day. Until then...tight lines

Troutin Man
12-18-2013, 06:34 PM
By the way...I really enjoy this website. It has provided me with great information and tips. Thanks to all who contribute. Wish you all a happy and merry holiday season.

Stinkbait
12-18-2013, 10:24 PM
I notice people use the most micro trebles in like 18 and smaller.

I use to catch and release trout on putty bait all the time. Instead of a tiny treble, I would use about a size 10-12 bronze barbed Eagle Claw bait holder. Almost all my fish were mouth hooked. This worked fine for proper catch and release. I also paid attention and set the hook on the first take. I see folks asleep at the wheel all the time soaking bait.

Now if I was still an agro stocker fisherman I would use about the same size Owner mosquito hook.
Truth be told I wouldn't be able to tell you if it was the longer shank of the hook or the larger size of the hook that was the reason for a very small amount of gut hooked fish.

hookdfisherman
12-19-2013, 12:07 AM
Does my persona really matter? Troutin Idiot...that's phunny though. I have to hand it too you. Thanxs four the laff.

The trout that I netted we ended up eating last night; it was quite tasty. Glad I was able to get it back. And yes...you called it...I skimmed because...

That day I powerbaited because they were drying out...thought I would use before they became flaky. And yes I have also stated that I bait fish, but I keep those. But I certainly enjoy jigs and lures. Sometimes I keep those because I am hungry.

So let's keep my post alive. Let's chat again on Christmas Day. Until then...tight lines

You're even too stooopeed to pull off stupid.

I fished Corona last week. Water level is very low; you can even park closer to the water than that big ol' pile of "snag your terminal tackle" rocks which are usually underwater. Used Power Bait and hooked up with 17 trout. No catch and release when I gots ta pay da man... kinda disappointed... as this trip cost me about $1.50 per fish. I can usually get away with closer to a dollar per... oh well you can't beat 'em all the time. (BTW, I am not hungry anymore).

May the Jenks Force be with ya!

hookdfisherman
12-19-2013, 12:23 AM

I notice people use the most micro trebles in like 18 and smaller.

I use to catch and release trout on putty bait all the time. Instead of a tiny treble, I would use about a size 10-12 bronze barbed Eagle Claw bait holder. Almost all my fish were mouth hooked. This worked fine for proper catch and release. I also paid attention and set the hook on the first take. I see folks asleep at the wheel all the time soaking bait.

Now if I was still an agro stocker fisherman I would use about the same size Owner mosquito hook.
Truth be told I wouldn't be able to tell you if it was the longer shank of the hook or the larger size of the hook that was the reason for a very small amount of gut hooked fish.

Hook size/length may have something to do with the minimal gut hooked fish pulled in, haven't seen any documentation on that subject.

I believe it has more to do with your attentive fishing technique.

Viejo
12-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Wow....such an impressive introduction to yourself and your ideas and in only 13 posts :Big Grin:.

It must be nice to be you.

hookdfisherman
12-19-2013, 02:47 PM

Wow....such an impressive introduction to yourself and your ideas and in only 13 posts :Big Grin:.

It must be nice to be you.

Don't let noone in on dis, keepin it on the DL bro, PM if you want more 'fo, but... Don't no one cares about da impressive intros no mo. Don't be one o da ones dat goes against da grain. Let it go man, it's just ain't woth it. It gona end up county and hard time... Just tryn to keep it real, bro...

Dis is all about gettin mo views, DA MOS views eva! You haven't figured that out yet bro... you memba, you memba?

da downlow on dis bro, keep nit real low... for reals...

Viejo
12-19-2013, 05:40 PM
[QUOTE=hookdfisherman;710889].
Don't let noone in on dis, keepin it on the DL bro, PM if you want more 'fo, but... Don't no one cares about da impressive intros no mo. Don't be one o da ones dat goes against da grain. Let it go man, it's just ain't woth it. It gona end up county and hard time... Just tryn to keep it real, bro...

Dis is all about gettin mo views, DA MOS views eva! You haven't figured that out yet bro... you memba, you memba?

Wow....you're trying to speak in eubonics! Takes me back a few years.

hookdfisherman
12-19-2013, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=hookdfisherman;710889].

Wow....you're trying to speak in eubonics! Takes me back a few years.

eyes not tryn vato

eyes doin it!

memba doe, dis es lo mismo a secreto fijjing ole', down low G!

lol

hookdfisherman
12-19-2013, 05:54 PM
and that's just my fitty cent!

DockRat
12-19-2013, 08:00 PM
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p316/sjonathan02/dextereatingpopcorn.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/user/sjonathan02/media/dextereatingpopcorn.gif.html)

hookdfisherman
01-07-2014, 12:53 AM
I fished Corona last week. Water level is very low; you can even park closer to the water than that big ol' pile of "snag your terminal tackle" rocks which are usually underwater. Used Power Bait and hooked up with 17 trout. No catch and release when I gots ta pay da man... kinda disappointed... as this trip cost me about $1.50 per fish. I can usually get away with closer to a dollar per... oh well you can't beat 'em all the time. (BTW, I am not hungry anymore).

May the Jenks Force be with ya!

So today I was lucky enough to hit the quickly evaporating lake before heading back to work tomorrow. Got there at about 7:30am and it was packed. The only shore spot I found open was near the boat ramp. So I set up my two rods. The guy next to me told me that he got there at 5am and there was already a line of at least 20 cars.

What drives me crazy about Corona is that everyone is packed together like sardines and baitin' is the only way to go from shore. I can throw a jig or lure within my "6 feet" of space, but that only takes you so far and you can only do it for so long. Can't walk the damn shoreline and throw your jigs without peeps givin' you "I will murder you a_hole looks". :Guns: One guy caught a fish about 50 yards away from me. That's all I saw from the time I got there until 11. A couple of shore anglers said they had some nibbles.

At 11am, I rented a boat and headed over to the east shore. Float tubers were catchin' sporadically...there were times for sure when it was dead. One guy caught a huge one. He stated that it is for sure over 20 pounds. Didn't follow the guy to the scale though. I was busy trying to catch my first fish.

Well I finally caught two nice sized trout...3 pounds maybe...great fight! Lost probably a 5 pounder or more after my first one. It jumped and twirled out of the water and my 2 pound test just couldn't handle it. So each fish cost me 25 bucks, but you know...time away from the family is priceless! :whistle:

looks like you have the force of Jenks with ya, or is that Jinx?! lol

well, at least you're leaving the fish for others... and your money with the pond people...

no need for catch and release worries with this one, obi wan...

a fisherman, he is not.

May the Jinx Force be with ya!

Troutin Man
01-09-2014, 10:43 PM
[QUOTE=hookdfisherman;712905]looks like you have the force of Jenks with ya, or is that Jinx?! lol

well, at least you're leaving the fish for others... and your money with the pond people...

no need for catch and release worries with this one, obi wan...

a fisherman, he is not.

May the Jinx Force be with ya!

Maybe you can teach me how to fish since you are so great at it. I bet you look great throwing your powerbait out too. Let's meet up...lake of your choice...you and I can show each other how we catch and release. It'll be one hell of a time. I can call you Outin Man.

hookdfisherman
01-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Maybe you can teach me how to fish since you are so great at it. I bet you look great throwing your powerbait out too. Let's meet up...lake of your choice...you and I can show each other how we catch and release. It'll be one hell of a time. I can call you Outin Man.

Yes, I can even teach a monkey to fish; but YOU, troutin man, are a lost cause.

I am a great fisherman. I know exactly what I am doing when I hit a lake or stream. I catch fish when I go fishing. I use many techniques and bring results. I am the consummate fisherman, look it up... if you look in the right book, under fisherman, you might even see my face!

I know I look good when I throw power bait. I look good when I throw a spoon, spinner, fly, and any other interpretation of lure out there. I look good all the time. You think because I use power bait that I look good? You should see me when I chuck salmon eggs... ha-ha.

Meet at a lake? Why the hell would I want to fish next to you? A chronic complainer who has zero intelligence and nothing worth anything to say... hell, even your posts are blasé. Why don't you keep them to yourself, quit subjecting the world to your never-ending kiss-butt dialog... and leave us alone. (Your dumb family will probably thank you too; you know the ones you're always trying to ditch?? I am sure they also thank heaven when you leave for your unsuccessful fishing trips).

Besides that, didn't you just fish Corona? You must be skimming again, so let me enlighten you... that's also the lake I recently fished. Luckily it wasn't the same day as your unsuccessful day, you probably would have jinxed everyone with your dumb luck that day too.

Your name should be drought-in' man. What was your fish count again?? Two fish at $25 dollars a pop because you RENTED A BOAT?? LOL. I didn't need a boat and I paid (on average) $1.50 each for my 17 caught and kept trout, hehehe. A buck, fitty... lol.

I don't need no stinkin' meet up with you, at some lake of my choice, to see who has a bigger rod... everyone already knows I can beat you at fishing (most others don't skim). Come to think of it, it might just be that your reading level is not up to snuff, so I am sorry if you're just illiterate as opposed to being a rimmer, I mean skimmer. I can visualize it now... troutin man rims your world, oops! I mean, troutin man skims your words... yuk yuk!

As far as catch and release?... we already went over that... drop it... it's a "dead" subject. more yuks

Your "hell of a good time"? Never gonna happen, idiot... I would never fish with the likes of you... You are such a LOSER!

I am the greatest fisherman of all time. I look good when I fish. I am the Master of Trout! The KING of CORONA!!!

May the Jenks Force be with ya, ya loser!

btw, why is it that the real dummies always want to call others out to a lake for some sort of exhibition of "catch and release"? (veiled threat of violence? possibly, what other means of dialog can this bonehead revert to...) Is this the "man" part of fishing when you can't, otherwise, make a valid point ?

What was your point again, drought-in man?

Oh yeah, I remember, you can't catch fish.... that's a valid point you're makin' there.... hahahahaha!

Troutin Man
01-12-2014, 11:32 PM
Hookdfisherman,

Fishing is not something I claim to be an expert at...not at all. I sometimes hit my limit, sometimes catch 2 or 3, or go home with a skunk. It is what it is. I sometimes enjoy fishing...sometimes not. Whatever.

You will continue to not be a nice person on this site which is your own choice as a man. You continue to be a good fisherman...master of corona...as you put it...which is fine. I'm sure you feel powerful and accomplished.

As for my family comment, I made a comment which was a joke...to feel something...I'm not sure what. It's a joke I hear often from other husbands and fathers out there on the water. I made it...not proud of it, but I did it to make myself laugh more than anything else.

My wife was killed on September 11th on United Airlines flight 175 that hit the south tower. I have not been the same since and fishing was something she did...not me. She tried to get me into it back then, but I was not interested. Tried only once. Too busy with school, work, and music. I moved out here to CA after the attacks and I do it in her memory, but not sure how much longer I will keep this up since you like to remind me that I pretty much suck at it. Oh well...it is what it is.

I am remarried now, but am still numb...with a couple of kids. But there is nothing like your first love. Maybe I don't read everything and skim because I don't give a ----. But you can keep throwing it in my face.

I have filed a complaint against you with the FNN website administrator...just so you know. I will probably give up fishing entirely since this may be a sign that I must have closure and just move on.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you find happiness in your life if you haven't found it. If you have, good for you. I know I still hope I can enjoy what I have, but it is difficult. Those attacks have wounded more than anyone will know. I guess only those who have lost like I have...understand. I think she will understand that I tried to fish in her memory...to learn as much as I could...to try to fish like she did. Of course did not match her skill level since she fished as a small child with her father and was really good at it. I am good at other things and will get focusing on those things now. I received money for the attacks and have multiplied that amount 10 fold. Have more money than I know what to do with. So getting a boat and paying to fish is irrelevant to me. 25 a pop is more of me trying to keep it real because that was where I was at before I lost her.

I will take a break from "trying to fish" since the 9/11 Jinx and fishing jinx is on me and maybe go back to it later in life.