PDA

View Full Version : 1st Time Tubing Help

fishfrenzy
09-14-2013, 09:17 AM
I recently got myself a float tube and look forwards to taking it out on its first mission. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where I could launch my tube from in Los Alamitos Bay or any other spots that you recommend trying for a beginner? I have the tube, life jacket, whistle, rod holder and fins. The only thing I do not have are waders. Do you have to wear them or are they just to keep you warm when the water is cold? Also are the regulation different for fresh and saltwater tubing? I see guys at my local lake (Puddingstone) and the say they have to wear waders and life jackets but when I have gone to the beach I see people in board shorts and t shirts? Any help would be great and thank you in advance. Feel free to PM me.

fishmounter
09-14-2013, 10:49 AM
Where are you at? What areas do you want to 'tube? I hate wearing waders, so much so that I don't fish much when the water is cold.

fishfrenzy
09-14-2013, 11:41 AM
Hi fishmounter, I live in Pomona right next to Puddingstone. I just want to go tube where I can CPR some fish. It does not matter the type of fishing or fish. I would just prefer to catch quantity over quality. I see that you put a hurting to the Bluegills at lake Perris and it looks like a blast. I have yet to ever fish there. I said Los Alamitos Bay because it is close to my work. Thanks

Dci4me
09-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Congrats on your first tube! You will have a blast. Waders are not required however, as the water cools down you may find it a quality investment. Breathable waders will get you through all the winters here in Socal. On sunny days make sure to wear hat, sunglasses (polarized), buff, gloves, sunscreen, etcetera. Being out on the water all day in the tube can be worse than a tanning bed.

One of the cool things about your rod holder is you could drag bait or use it for live bait, and cast another rig at the same time.

Tight lines

TED MILLS
09-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Well it sounds like you got everything you need so far and the waders you need to wear in nov i guess it will be cold waterthen.
Later you might want a fishfinder but that will come in time .

Have fun
ted

.:LOLLY:.
09-16-2013, 07:44 AM
In Alamitos bay it is not required to have waders and life jacket although life jackets are strongly recommended for those just in case moments.

Carptain_Bao
09-16-2013, 07:58 AM
Wish I seen the post earlier, launch on the public beaches on Ocean blvd. The one closer to the jetty is my favorite. You don't have to wear waders 3 weeks ago, I tubed with shorts and it's really not that bad, but I am not quite sure about the water temp at this moment. I don't think you are required to wear waders at the pudd either, I tubed it with shorts so have my friends. Good luck tubing, you will enjoy it a lot. Wait 'til the trout season!

Tube'n4Trout
09-16-2013, 08:42 AM
If you have your fins on, don't forget to walk backwards when you enter and exit the water.

FlamingTube
09-16-2013, 08:54 AM
Grats on the tube. Waders are sometimes required in some lakes due to them being water reserves and such I believe the proper term would be no contact Lakes so its best to check before going

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
09-17-2013, 12:49 PM
Fishfrenzy
First time out ever in a float tube can be nerve racking so it's best to start out slow in a lake where there are many ppl around, just in case. Also learn the procedures of how to get into the water....tube inflated enough, waders, got fins, rods, tackle, drinks, stringer, etc., or you'll be going back and forth to your car and back. I suggest a dry land practice before you even get to the water. I'd also suggest wearing waders in any water because hypothermia can still happen. Better safe than sorry.
My 2 cents worth after tubing for 20 years.
TTFM

spooks
09-17-2013, 09:41 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!data=!1m4!1m3!1d6638!2d-118.1232875!3d33.7556486!2m1!1e3&fid=7

At Bayshore park or marine park

fishfrenzy
09-19-2013, 07:25 PM
Congrats on your first tube! You will have a blast. Waders are not required however, as the water cools down you may find it a quality investment. Breathable waders will get you through all the winters here in Socal. On sunny days make sure to wear hat, sunglasses (polarized), buff, gloves, sunscreen, etcetera. Being out on the water all day in the tube can be worse than a tanning bed.

One of the cool things about your rod holder is you could drag bait or use it for live bait, and cast another rig at the same time.

Tight lines

Thanks Dci4me, I am looking to into getting some waders but I am just researching what type I should invest in. I think that I got everything except a buff and gloves. Thanks for the tips.

Well it sounds like you got everything you need so far and the waders you need to wear in nov i guess it will be cold waterthen.
Later you might want a fishfinder but that will come in time .

Have fun
ted

Thanks ted, the thoughts of a fishfinder have been on my mind since I picked up the tube.

In Alamitos bay it is not required to have waders and life jacket although life jackets are strongly recommended for those just in case moments.

Thanks .:LOLLY:., I am definitely going to wear my life jacket in case some jerk hits me with there boat…

Wish I seen the post earlier, launch on the public beaches on Ocean blvd. The one closer to the jetty is my favorite. You don't have to wear waders 3 weeks ago, I tubed with shorts and it's really not that bad, but I am not quite sure about the water temp at this moment. I don't think you are required to wear waders at the pudd either, I tubed it with shorts so have my friends. Good luck tubing, you will enjoy it a lot. Wait 'til the trout season!

Thanks Carptain_Bao, thanks for the launch location. As far as the pudds rules I was wrong, you only have to wear the lifejacket to my understanding. I cant wait to fish some trout from the tube (I wanna go to Irvine never been there yet but hear good things).

If you have your fins on, don't forget to walk backwards when you enter and exit the water.

Thanks Tube’n4Trout, I would have never thought to go in the water backwards.

Grats on the tube. Waders are sometimes required in some lakes due to them being water reserves and such I believe the proper term would be no contact Lakes so its best to check before going

Thanks FlamingTube, I have been looking around on the internet to see where I can take tube out at, as well whatever fees they charge parking/launching ect.

Fishfrenzy
First time out ever in a float tube can be nerve racking so it's best to start out slow in a lake where there are many ppl around, just in case. Also learn the procedures of how to get into the water....tube inflated enough, waders, got fins, rods, tackle, drinks, stringer, etc., or you'll be going back and forth to your car and back. I suggest a dry land practice before you even get to the water. I'd also suggest wearing waders in any water because hypothermia can still happen. Better safe than sorry.
My 2 cents worth after tubing for 20 years.
TTFM

Thanks Trout-Tuna-For.ME, I have done the dry set up in my living room in my living room a few times. I was only missing the drinks but I took note of the drink holder on the tube? I found myself thinking what are the bare minimums I need as far as terminal tackle goes. I want to pick up some waders as well to use in my tube and for the surf. I agree 1000% with the safety issues, I have a family to come home too and would hate to not be coming home because of a stupid decision…

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!data=!1m4!1m3!1d6638!2d-118.1232875!3d33.7556486!2m1!1e3&fid=7

At Bayshore park or marine park

Thanks spooks, your map has clearly spelled out where to launch from.

Fishingdachronarch201E7
09-26-2013, 09:24 AM
Hey fishfrenzy,

this was all good information, planning on pikcing one up myself here in about 2-3 weeks, so all this info will help alot, sort of tired having to pay for boats at locals lakes! :)

thanks

TonyG
fishingdachronarch201e7