PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed, looking for mini backpacking trip or camping for fish

Bashman
09-12-2013, 12:03 PM
I will be leaving the LA area on 9/28 Saturday early evening and coming back home on Monday night.
Wanted to see if someone can direct me to either a very short backpacking trip, around 3 miles one way with with a decent chance of getting fish at a lake.
Or, maybe just do regular camping near a lake. I was hoping to be near Lone pine area. If not, willing to go near Bishop. I don't care for Diaz lake.

Thanks!

Viejo
09-12-2013, 12:15 PM
I will be leaving the LA area on 9/28 Saturday early evening and coming back home on Monday night.
Wanted to see if someone can direct me to either a very short backpacking trip, around 3 miles one way with with a decent chance of getting fish at a lake.
Or, maybe just do regular camping near a lake. I was hoping to be near Lone pine area. If not, willing to go near Bishop. I don't care for Diaz lake.

Thanks!

Go to Mammoth. Stay at Upper Twin Lakes Campground....right on the water There are five other lakes almost within walking distance. All have good fishing. Upper Twin has reasonable boat rentals.

pcuser
09-12-2013, 06:23 PM

Thanks!

You can go to South Lake trail head and hike 2 miles to long lake. There are nice campsites all around the lake. There are rainbows, brookies, and browns up to 15 pounds. I've caught 2-3 pound bows and seen a 3 pound brown caught there. The 14.5 pound brown was caught in the 1970's, probably from a raft. For variety, there are several other lakes within a mile with mostly brookies and bows. Most importantly, have fun.

Bashman
09-12-2013, 11:39 PM
Pcuser, thanks for that info. I had forgotten about long lake. Camped there once long ago. I do remember it being very nice.
Do you know if camp fires are allowed at long lake?

Viejo
09-13-2013, 06:49 AM
Pcuser, thanks for that info. I had forgotten about long lake. Camped there once long ago. I do remember it being very nice.
Do you know if camp fires are allowed at long lake?

There are no Fires at Long Lake or any other area of the the Eastern Sierra where you hike in. Camp fires are permitted in a few of the camps that have the steel fire rings and that you drive to. All of the Forests in California are on the most severe of fire restrictions. Check the Inyo National Forest Website to be sure. You are allowed the little propane hiking stoves with a valid permit that you can get from the Forest Service.

Bashman
09-20-2013, 06:05 PM
I decided we will be backpacking to Blue lake. We will be taking the Lake Sabrina trail for about 3 miles.
Has anyone hiked up there, any pointers as to best area to fish/camp would be appreciated.