PDA

View Full Version : Hueneme Beach - 9/11/2013

ErikAllen17
09-12-2013, 09:26 AM
Dropped the kids off at school and came home. Seriously thought about crawling back into bed, but I ended up loading the Tahoe with gear and decided to try a new spot to fish. I have fished the pier at Hueneme numerous times now, all with decent to excellent success. I figured why not try the beach this time instead.

I was on the water around 10:15am. I didn't see any structure (other than the pier) or birds, and to top it off, the waves were quite large. My bed was starting to look really good about now. I started on the far south side of the beach and began casting and walking up the beach. I did this for about an hour with zero action. I kept walking north past the pier and noticed a jetty a little further up the way. I figured that it can't hurt and maybe there will be some fish near the rocks. There was alot of salad in this little pocket because the waves seemed to meet up right here. I kept at it, casting over and over again. I felt a little something every once in awhile. Hard to distinguish between a possible bite and if it was salad. I had to pull it off of my lure after almost every retrieve.

Then I hooked onto something... wasn't terribly big, but it wiped the stench of skunk off of my morning. I ended up landing a small, maybe 14" Leo, tail-hooked (once again) by the LC. I pulled him up on a flat rock (there was no actual beach at this time), unbuttoned him, snapped a couple pics and released him to grow and fight another day! This was the first Leo I've caught since I was about 14... so it was pretty cool to get reacquainted.

Fished for about another hour. Didn't catch anything, but I'm pretty sure I had a few misses from what were possibly some halis. Headed home around 2pm to grab the kids from school.

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/Hueneme_09-11-2013_01.jpg

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/Hueneme_09-11-2013_02.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_plt_utIoY

SP Dan
09-12-2013, 09:31 AM
Hi ya ErikAllen17,

Thanx for the fun read with pic's!

I hope to see you at the HG-5 Event!

SP Dan <"))>< "The Danimal"!

ErikAllen17
09-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Oh I'll be there... I signed up as soon as it was posted! I blocked the whole day off and plan on learning as much as I can while on the sand with some of you legends of surf fishing!

Jaysuuun
09-12-2013, 09:23 PM
Nice job beating the skunk! Thanks for the report. See ya at HG5

Wingnut
09-13-2013, 12:39 PM
You are hardcore! :Big Grin:
See you at HG5. :Wink:

Karyn
09-14-2013, 08:40 AM
Beautiful colors! The pic up- close is very nice! Did you take them with your phone, or a camera? Regardless, thank you for the report :)

ErikAllen17
09-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Taken with a beaten up 2-year old iPhone 4. Can't wait until next week when I get to upgrade my phone to the iPhone 5s... although, I won't be using that for fishing pics long. Xmas is coming up and I have a nice lightweight waterproof camera on my list!

murrieta angler
09-14-2013, 06:13 PM
Good job sticking it out.
Sometimes you will be surprised, as to what comes out of that salad fest...:Wink:
Robert
<><

bachiboy
09-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Nice work out there punching through the salad bar to find some seafood.:Wink: Great shots of the leo. Hope to see/meet you at HG5!

Don