PDA

View Full Version : Overnight boats slay! 2 day boats scratch?!

sidified
09-11-2013, 10:53 PM
So even 3/4 day San Diego boats are slamming yellowtail...Overnight boats consistently getting into blue fin, yellow fin, yellowtail and dorado!..
Meanwhile, 2 day trips pass on the bite to go where the blue and yellow fin are consistently NOT..
I'd rather park outside the break water for two days and catch...than pay big time to go on recon hunt and peck..
Wassup with that??

CaptainSkunk
09-11-2013, 11:46 PM
Man I think it is really a quality vs quantity situation. I am not saying the quality of fish in the closer water are not good; however, for those who seeks big bluefin, I think 2 to 3 days trip is the way to go. Went on a 3 day trip departed point loma and man the size of those bluefins; however it was never wide open, 4 hook ups at the same time max. if you fish consistently for the day without taking too much break(you will need some break with the size of these bluefin), it could be very productive. So I guess that's why the bluefin maniacs pick long range trip. I think both are equally fun, it is all about what you are looking for.

DockRat
09-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Man I think it is really a quality vs quantity situation.

The problem with offshore fish counts is the size can be unknown.

X2 The 5 to 8 lb YT Rats. Keep a few but as Cory Tunaslam said there is concern for future breeding stock. 1 @ 15 to 50 lb YT is better than 10 at 5 to 8 lbs. I'd take a 20 lb YT over C&R 20 at 6 lbs. Similar to a FW bass guy. He would prefer a 6 lb to DD over 20 at 1 lb.

The problem with offshore fish counts is the size can be unknown.
Dorado can get 20 lbs in 2 years.

Yellowtail spawn in warm waters 100–300 miles off the California coast and return in May or June until September or December. They spawn slowly, but may live in excess of 30 years. Spawning usually begins at three years of age. One major spawning ground is at Cedros Island, where mass amounts of 15- to 20-pound yellowtail can be caught. Yellowtail are aggressive towards other fish. They will often feed more frequently during spawning, which makes them an easy target for commercial fishing boats.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa12/konared/DSCN0274.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/konared/media/DSCN0274.jpg.html)

sidified
09-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Thanks for those perspectives, guys! Really appreciate it..
Great points about quality vs. quantity..
Are there forums out there that do give some data about inshore/offshore size??
I haven't searched for that info specifically but didn't come across any while checking out the counts.
Sid

titos334
09-13-2013, 01:52 PM
Thanks for those perspectives, guys! Really appreciate it..
Great points about quality vs. quantity..
Are there forums out there that do give some data about inshore/offshore size??
I haven't searched for that info specifically but didn't come across any while checking out the counts.
Sid

If you're that curious call the landing(s) they will give you an idea of what size they are to go along with the numbers

flyhigh123
09-13-2013, 01:59 PM
bd would be the place to go. You can post a question like this and have lots of answers.

etucker1959
09-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Iv'e think I got a little bit to add to this. I've been handicapping boats for years. What do you mean handicapping? Handicapping is, Who is now running the boat and can they catch fish. Every boat can have a bad trip or even a great trip. It's the boat's with the same captain who year after year are the top producers. Same goes on the negative side. One of the hot boats, the Condor ran an extended 1.5 day trip this week. I knew it was going to be balls out!!!!!! It was, over 200 tuna and Dorado. So it's not so much the length of the trip, but who's running the boat.

skunked4life
09-16-2013, 06:32 AM
I had to look all over for you Sid! So you've been hiding in the deep blue instead of the shallows huh? Hope to see you at HG5 my friend! My son will be there and maybe you two can play a duet!

jerryG
09-16-2013, 09:15 AM
Iv'e think I got a little bit to add to this. I've been handicapping boats for years. What do you mean handicapping? Handicapping is, Who is now running the boat and can they catch fish. Every boat can have a bad trip or even a great trip. It's the boat's with the same captain who year after year are the top producers. Same goes on the negative side. One of the hot boats, the Condor ran an extended 1.5 day trip this week. I knew it was going to be balls out!!!!!! It was, over 200 tuna and Dorado. So it's not so much the length of the trip, but who's running the boat.

x2 nailed it Tucker... Look at the counts study them and you will find there are a few boats that consistently catch more fish than others. It may have something to do with the boat its self. Fish just come to certain boats and not others but more so it has to do with who is at the helm. A knowledgeable highly skilled captain who is willing to go the extra mile and do all that he can to the best of his abilities every time he leaves the dock is going to put his passengers on fish far more often than others with lessor abilities, or who are less willing, or worse just after your hard earned dollars. Every boat is going to have good and bad days but trip over trip week over week, season over season you find there are boats that consistently catch more than the rest and those who consistently catch less that the rest.

Many Anglers who follow the counts daily know this and trips on these boats fill up quickly.. The condor is a great operation. Normally I would agree that a 2 day to 3 day trip is going to give you a better chance at catching more fish and bigger fish just simply because you have a lot more range and also a lot more time to find fish.. Then again this season we have some BIG 100+ lbs BFT caught and many more lost on over night and 1.5 day trips.

JerryG