PDA

View Full Version : Just another late afternoon hook up for the SWAT Northern Crew.

Dawn Treader
09-11-2013, 01:17 PM
Just another late afternoon hook up with perchin dave down at our recent fav AO . We are usually happy to target perch as conditions are more favorable for that lately . But last night was different . The wind was mellow , low weeds , and there was bait in the water . We could not see it, but a few Dolphin were speeding around on the surface close in front ,and a couple pelicans were dive bombing . We arrived at the puddle rocks, and were a bit ahead of the 2 to 3 tide we like there. So the bsp's were not hang'n yet . I had my grub set up and figured I'd just stay with that , as I wondered down past the main structure in search of flatties . Right away I got a nice hit felt bigger than a bsp ...turns out to be a decent size smelt . Put up a fun fight , jumping out of the water etc. around 16 to18 inches . Then bam , a snag type bite , the kind where you hope you set the hook , and hold it waiting to feel that wiggle . And it came along with my smile as dave was looking my way . I was careful to take my time bringing it in with the drag set real lightly, with a single hook and not sure on the set . As it came into the shallows I could see it was a legal for sure ! Just as I bring it up close the hook pops from it's mouth , and it's still in 3 inches of water . My rod once again goes air-born , this time towards the sand at least , so I could scoop him onto the beach . A bit of drama but success ...a 25" , we got some photo's (thanks to dave ) . And my family had our first halibut meal this year .

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y535/bradfordjay1/halibut91013_zps902f7199.jpg (http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/bradfordjay1/media/halibut91013_zps902f7199.jpg.html)

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y535/bradfordjay1/halibut_zpsbdd37b4a.jpg (http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/bradfordjay1/media/halibut_zpsbdd37b4a.jpg.html)

SP Dan
09-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Hey Brad!

"Congratulations" :Big Smile::Applause: on your 25" legal Hali! :Envious: WTG!

Thanx for the fish report with pic Brotha Brad!

I'm looking forward to hooking up with you at HG-5! :Thumbs Up:

PS ..... Just so that I know which side of you to fish on when we do finally hook up .....:EyePop: do you normally throw your gear to the left of you or to the right of you?!:ROFL:

PSS ..... I see that you were holding back :Wink: until you got on the other team ...... Hmmmmmm!

SP Dan <"))>< "The Danimal"

dlmoo312
09-11-2013, 02:31 PM
You had me nervous when I reached the part where the hook popped out of the fish's mouth... but great save!
Congratulations on the legal! I'm sure it made for a great meal with the family :Big Grin:
Thanks for the report and hope to see you at HG5!

-Daniel

Fishingdachronarch201E7
09-11-2013, 03:58 PM
WTG on the legal halie!!!!! congrats!!!

thanks for sharing

TonyG
fishingdachronarch201e7

Perchin' Dave
09-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Hey Dawn Treader, I was there when you caught and once again I saw you throw your rod and jump in after the fish. What's with that? HA! Perchin' Dave

EfrenM
09-11-2013, 04:35 PM
Nice fish congratulations on your 25 inch hali !!

tamddo714
09-11-2013, 10:15 PM
congrats on your legal! hopefully more to come! thanks for the report

DockRat
09-12-2013, 06:11 AM
Congrats on the Legal. Funny and successful story on the landing.
DR

iLLest
09-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Thats a nice legal brad, way to reel her in.
Hope to see you at HG5.

Jaysuuun
09-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Brad, wtg on the legal butt. Nice job on pouncing on that flattie before it had a chance to slip back into the surf. LOL See ya at HG

Wingnut
09-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Sweet catch Brad, congrats! Now I know why I didn't catch that fish when I was up there, it was reserved for you! :Envious:
Your team is pulling away in the points... :mad:
See you at HG5 my friend. :Big Grin:

bachiboy
09-14-2013, 01:45 AM
There you go chucking your rod and diving after fish again Brad!:Shocked::LOL: Too funny!!! That makes for a great read and another amazing catch for you. Great job out there man!

Congrats!!!!
Don