PDA

View Full Version : KH Bonito Biting Sun 9/8/13

DockRat
09-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Here to report the the power plant is running and steam is blowing. I went down to Joes Crab Shack JCS to take some pictures on my ticket (see general discussion off topics board) then walked over to the short pier and spoke with the owner of RB Sportfishing about my JCS ticket.

Then there was boils and a fisherman landed a nice 3 lb Bonito. Saw a school of Bonito swim by while I was there. The bubble is pumping warm water in and the Bonito are back.

Called the RB Police on several fishermen and made a video of the police (2 cars, 3 cops) and asked them to start passing out tickets at JCS to fishermen. They called the watch commander and had a meeting and NO TICKETS where handed out at JCS BECAUSE IT IS LEGAL TO FISH THERE ON THE ROCKS even though I got a ticket there by the 2 rookies that wrote me up.

Feel free to fish the rocks at JCS all the way past the short pier to the bubble because it is legal and I'm fighting my ticket and for fishermen to continue to fish there as they have for the last 50+ years.

Try tossing Luckycrafts, Krocs, Kastmaster, bubble and fly, anchovies, jigs ect.
Good Luck, DR

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/blackcloud9/Fishing/LJKayakingJaredDoubleYT082408022.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/blackcloud9/media/Fishing/LJKayakingJaredDoubleYT082408022.jpg.html)

Jig-Guy
09-08-2013, 12:19 PM
I am glad you got the cops to quit harassing the fishing folks. The cops need to go ticket red light runners or catch the bad guys. Most fisherman don't carry so the cops have little risk messing with them. Search and frisk suspect fisherman!

Bone Heads are super fun. I must have caught and released at least 1000 in my life. I have caught some off Ventura 12 pounds + and smoked them, great eating smoked. (bone heads are kind of hard to lite:whistle:)

tl
Bill / jig-guy

hollywoodbass
09-08-2013, 12:48 PM
What size were the bonito you saw? I haven't caught a bonito in years (I have caught them up to 15 lbs at the horseshoe kelp)

TUNAVIC
09-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Wow that's awesome,great picture of a Bone,grew up catching them on the Redondo Beach pier,and also fishing with Rick Ofinger on the City of Redondo boat,thanks for the memories!

Cya Tunavic

fishshep
09-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Here to report the the power plant is running and steam is blowing. I went down to Joes Crab Shack JCS to take some pictures on my ticket (see general discussion off topics board) then walked over to the short pier and spoke with the owner of RB Sportfishing about my JCS ticket.

Then there was boils and a fisherman landed a nice 3 lb Bonito. Saw a school of Bonito swim by while I was there. The bubble is pumping warm water in and the Bonito are back.

Called the RB Police on several fishermen and made a video of the police (2 cars, 3 cops) and asked them to start passing out tickets at JCS to fishermen. They called the watch commander and had a meeting and NO TICKETS where handed out at JCS BECAUSE IT IS LEGAL TO FISH THERE ON THE ROCKS even though I got a ticket there by the 2 rookies that wrote me up.

Feel free to fish the rocks at JCS all the way past the short pier to the bubble because it is legal and I'm fighting my ticket and for fishermen to continue to fish there as they have for the last 50+ years.

I don,t get it :Confused:

Called the Cops on Fisherman cuz you got a ticket ? :Confused:

Maybe the story should have been " Saw a bunch of Fellow Fisherman parking

and then going fishing where I parked and got a ticket , sure was glad to find out

after all, it is legal to park at jcs. "

Try tossing Luckycrafts, Krocs, Kastmaster, bubble and fly, anchovies, jigs ect.
Good Luck, DR

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/blackcloud9/Fishing/LJKayakingJaredDoubleYT082408022.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/blackcloud9/media/Fishing/LJKayakingJaredDoubleYT082408022.jpg.html)

What if by your call they got tickets ?

DockRat
09-08-2013, 09:04 PM
What if by your call they got tickets ?

The day before a RB cadet told me that no tickets will be issued until my case is resolved. I also spoke to the fishermen before I made the call. There was no intention by myself to throw these guys under the bus.

jaggerbub
09-08-2013, 09:50 PM
DockRat, good on you for fighting this... This will prevent future tickets being issued. I wish you the best of luck. I'm sure you will win.

DockRat
09-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the support. This battle is going to City Hall before I see the judge.
This fight is so that fishermen do not lose 1" more of Coastline. These cops hate me and I ran into them last night getting more pics. We chatted and they said I am making too big of a deal and need to back off. I am definitely putting a target on my back with RB cops.

I explained that thousands fishermen had fought over MLPA closures and my fight is not about the stupid city code ticket but is to insure that this 600' section remains open to the public and the city does not post 'No Fishing Signs'

Off to City Hall now to get harbor maps then off to code enforcement, mayor and work up the chain.
May have to go to city hall city council meetings if this gray area is not resolved.

If I need help I will call on any FNNers that would be willing to go to council to help with the fight.
Thnx DR

etucker1959
09-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the support. This battle is going to City Hall before I see the judge.
This fight is so that fishermen do not lose 1" more of Coastline. These cops hate me and I ran into them last night getting more pics. We chatted and they said I am making too big of a deal and need to back off. I am definitely putting a target on my back with RB cops.

I explained that thousands fishermen had fought over MLPA closures and my fight is not about the stupid city code ticket but is to insure that this 600' section remains open to the public and the city does not post 'No Fishing Signs'

Off to City Hall now to get harbor maps then off to code enforcement, mayor and work up the chain.
May have to go to city hall city council meetings if this gray area is not resolved.

If I need help I will call on any FNNers that would be willing to go to council to help with the fight.
Thnx DR

I would love to go!!!!!! Just say the word.

SP Dan
09-09-2013, 12:01 PM
All good INTEL DR! Keep us included in the out come. Thanx.

DockRat
09-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Thanks Etuck and Dan. I was down at the short pier and a guy landed a Bonito today.
Nobody was on the pier targeting them. Actually they rocks are better at the KH AES power plant (Samba) bubble or JCS since you are at sea level and the pier is elevated. Your lure stays down when casting at sea level vs the pier where your lure doesn't, also no overhead casting on the pier.
DR

madbass
09-09-2013, 10:24 PM
Bonita of the rocks sounds like fun to me, especially on bass tackle. I've heard about it and seen it once but never had the pleasure of hookin into one off the rocks. I've been fishing there for some time now, haven been lately, and never had any problems with dfg or cops. Sucks man, but I'm pretty sure they'll dismiss your citation.

Thanks for the report and pictures!

Porkchop5420
09-10-2013, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the report, I went down there today around 3 pm. Didn't see a single boil or bonita. Wish I had the same luck. I fished behind joe's crab snack and right by the pier. I definitely caught it on the off day. Hopefully someone gets into them!

skunked4life
09-10-2013, 06:47 AM
Sorry for the late reply...Awesome pic of the bonito! Hope you hook into a bunch! Are these good eats?

Pecci
09-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Concerning the bonita. It's amazing to me that these fierce little maniacs can be totally absent from our coastline for years, and then so quickly return to the harbor. Wow!:EyePop:

DockRat
09-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the report, I went down there today around 3 pm. Didn't see a single boil or bonita. Wish I had the same luck. I fished behind joe's crab snack and right by the pier. I definitely caught it on the off day. Hopefully someone gets into them!

Bummer. They are hit and miss. When the squid were off El Segundo I caught some Bones in KH with fresh squid in the stomach. They travel, even to Mexico. When the power plant runs for weeks the water temp in KH goes up 5 degrees or more, back in the day when steam came out of all the stacks (more cooling water needed) it would draw bait and Bones, Macs.

The intake pipe near the entrance took the life of diver that was sucked in in the early 70's.

Sorry for the late reply...Awesome pic of the bonito! Hope you hook into a bunch! Are these good eats?

Random Photobucket pic, lol. Just reporting what I saw.

Concerning the bonita. It's amazing to me that these fierce little maniacs can be totally absent from our coastline for years, and then so quickly return to the harbor. Wow!:EyePop:

Dam Cats. Read this;

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?75648-Where-are-all-the-sandys-and-calicos-this-year-cudas-all-MIA

Natural History
Bonito are one of the smallest tunas—their size and striped surface distinguish them from their larger cousins. They avoid predators by gathering in large schools, usually close to the surface. Like other tunas, they can travel great distances.

Bonito favor warm waters—in the winter, they follow warm-water currents south. They’re big eaters, dining on fishes (especially anchovies) and squid. They grow quickly, consuming about six percent of their body weight each day.
http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/animals/AnimalDetails.aspx?enc=PQIqWun2AuWbpAZ//4cRNw==

DockRat
09-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Are these good eats?

Should be bled and iced. You have to cut out the bloodline like other Tuna. Hours in a gunny sack ruins them. Great eating when fresh. Raw, cooked or smoked.

http://www.ifood.tv/network/bonito

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOMi9PM-e_Y

murrieta angler
09-11-2013, 06:20 AM
I was wondering when we were going to see a Bonita report from you DR?!
Whenever I see the plant on, down in Tamarack, I wonder if the fishing picks up there as well?
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><

tamddo714
09-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Was there yesterday to check it out. From what i remember the signs are tricky. if you are directly behind JCS it says "keep of break wall & no fishing", but does that mean no fishing from the actual break wall or no fishing at the rocks down below as there's an entrance. But if you go to the left of the short pier there is only a sign that says "keep off break wall". Threw LC and kroc no signs of bonito. but had fun walking around the harbor looking at fishes in the water.

dlmoo312
09-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the intel DR! Great to know that they are there. Might have to pay that area a visit...
Hope you get the ticket cleared up!

-Daniel

DockRat
09-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Was there yesterday to check it out. From what i remember the signs are tricky. if you are directly behind JCS it says "keep of break wall & no fishing", but does that mean no fishing from the actual break wall or no fishing at the rocks down below as there's an entrance. But if you go to the left of the short pier there is only a sign that says "keep off break wall". Threw LC and kroc no signs of bonito. but had fun walking around the harbor looking at fishes in the water.
No fishing on the splash wall, rocks are alright.
It is confusing. Even for rookie Cops. That area has been open for 40 years.

The sign 100' west of JCS says 'No Fishing with a arrow http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab204/nhannahnasir/arrow-right.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/user/nhannahnasir/media/arrow-right.gif.html) That tells you it is okay from the JCS point to Samba 800' away. They do not want people fishing the main channel near Portofino (Baleen now) hotel due to the boats going by near the rocks. The power plant is off today :Rolls Eyes:

Hope you get the ticket cleared up!
-Daniel

The ticket is the least of my worries.
The fight now is so 1" more of Ca coastline does not get shut down to all fishermen and future generations.

VICTORY !

Yesterday after spending 20 hours so far I was in code enforcement and finally met a very nice lady Jo. She pulled records and codes for me and after 1 hour she told me I should talk to a man at the Harbor Dept. He was not in. The high school intern at the counter seemed interested and smart. Not wanting to speak to a 17 year old I decided why not he was not a dummy and MAYBE he could find some paper documents to help the cause.

30 minutes later, nothing. Then he took the pics, codes, aerial maps and went to speak with someone in the back. 15 minutes later a gentleman came out and we discussed the issue with KH designated fishing areas.

They are in the process of making a KH map showing designated areas. He said it is legal to fish this 800' strip. He also said years ago there was small signs at the handrail that said fishing allowed and will put in a order to have the signs re-installed.

http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac227/touchstarsteve/applause.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/user/touchstarsteve/media/applause.gif.html)

This ticket came at a good time. I told him that this topic is on a fishing website and we do not want to drag this issue to city hall. During the MLPA fight there was 20 - 50 fishermen/divers at council meetings and the Mayor Mike Ginn and Council DID NOT want North PV closed. It would have been a major economic impact to KH.

Fishermen pay for parking, eat at restaurants, buy tackle and bait at RB Sportfishing.
Slept good last night and glad to be off work at this time for this fight since my car was rear ended and have a back injury.
OMG what a last 6 days.
DR

DockRat
09-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Just got off the phone with a guy that works at a tackle shop. He spoke with a DFG agent and told him about the area and that agent said they have cited fishermen at JCS to Samba. I've had my license checked there at least 4 times by 3 different agents and no ticket.

Cops are confused.
DFG is confused.

Hopefully this subject will be put to rest soon.
Still have to go to court mid Oct and plead not guilty the return later to win the case.
DR

tamddo714
09-11-2013, 10:05 PM
thanks Dockrat for your efforts in not having another inch of our coastline taken away from us! truly appreciate it

DockRat
09-12-2013, 06:40 AM
thanks Dockrat for your efforts in not having another inch of our coastline taken away from us! truly appreciate it

Won the battle but not the war. Next year KH will start a Big remodel around that area. Also a new buoy line for the SUP's Stand Up Paddleboards. The SUP crowd is getting a designated area for lessons, they are going to get a passage area to get out to the breakwall and be able to paddle inside the wall.

I'm going to have to be on top of this issue and pay attention to city council meetings agendas.
I am starting to hate the SUP crowd. Many of these beginners cause interference to power and sail boats then get knocked off from the wake of larger boats.

90% of the harbor SUPs are in US Coast Guard VIOLATION by not wearing PFDs.
SUPs are now classified as vessels and required to have PFDs.
See FNN Boats, topic on SUPs.
DR

bman90278
09-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Thanks DR for your efforts! I've fished the King Harbor since the 70's and been living in Redondo for the last 10 yrs! I'll be looking forward to seeing the new signs.

Btw, the Bones have been showing up off and on in the KH for the last month or 2, it's just been tuff to catch any. I was on the short pier last month when a guy landed a 4 + pounder! My son also caught a Spanish Mac too, but it was smaller.

-brian

Jaysuuun
09-12-2013, 10:07 PM
DFG and the Cops on different pages. :Confused: That is just wonderful. I'm sure that doesn't help your situation. As fisherman, I'm sure everyone appreciates all your efforts to fight this. Thank you

Never caught a bone before, but I hear they fight like a motha.

jerryG
09-13-2013, 01:45 AM
Thank you for your efforts Martin. Thank you for standing up and protecting this spot. I would hate to see the fishing community lose it forever.. I fished King Harbor as a kid back when it was really good (70s- 80s) as I recall if you didn't get there by 8 am you wouldn't have a spot to fish. It was shoulder to shoulder on the end of the short pier and the long pier. The rocks used to get packed too.. Lots of bonito coming over the rail and on to the rocks in those days. I even seen a few yellows landed off the piers there. When that bubble starts pumping warm water anything can happen..

JerryG

DockRat
09-13-2013, 02:17 PM
Thanks guys for the support. Next is a meeting the the RB City Attorney.
When a individual gets falsely accused and cited the city attorney can make you ticket go away so you do not have to go to court to prove your innocence. To win this ticket I will have to go to court and plead not guilty (mid October). Then go back to court to win the case.

That will cost me 2 days of lost wages. 20 + hours, multiple trips taking photos, trips to Feex/Kinkos printing pics, hours studying case law, a trip to Harbor Patrol, 3 trips to RBPD speaking with the watch commander, 4 trips to city hall/mayor/code enforcement/harbor dept ect.

All this BS just because I was legally fishing and harassed by RBPD and cited and kicked out of a legal fishing spot. :Rolls Eyes:

These officers said they have written multiple tickets to other fishermen in the past they told me. These fishermen paid fines and probably never returned to fish there.

Fishermen need to stand up for there legal rights and not let areas get closed down or get BS tickets.
DR

From there website.

City Attorney
Michael W. Webb, CA

Mission Statement

To protect the public's interest and uphold the law by providing comprehensive professional cost-efficient legal advice and representation for the City with the objective of avoiding civil litigation whenever possible.