PDA

View Full Version : Rancho Leonaro (East Cape)- Sep 15-17

Rich and Noah
09-19-2007, 04:52 PM
First, I want to thank the guys at Accurate Fishing Products (Jack) and John Ireland of Rancho Leonaro. Jack recommended this place to us on the East Cape, located about 45 min north of Los Cabos airport, and hooked us up with 2 new 665s to help bring in the Dorado and Tuna. John is a gracious host and owner of Rancho Leonaro who made sure all the guests were happy with fishing, drinks and good eats. And did I mention the fishing was superb!!!!

We fished for 3 days on a Super Cruiser with my dad and uncle. The resort is remote and relaxing where fishing is the focus. Not to mention, the wide open tuna bite was just a couple miles from Rancho. We skipped the rooster bite which I heard was ignored during this tuna run but wide open as well. In total, we landed 5-10 yellowfin per day, countless hog Skipjacks, 1 Stripped marlin (C&R) on Day 2, and over 10 dorado per day including 1 50lb bull (took my uncle 50 min on 30lb test to bring him in). We lost 2 large bulls on day 3 and both of them broke tackle that I had pre-rigged….f*!%

I had a 20lb setup that was trashed by Day 3. I was hooked up and somehow the fish burned my drag (cheap Daiwa SL) and caused me to birdnest, and subsequent snap! I think it was a dorado. Also, I brought some stuff but ran out of smaller hooks for the tuna. I have a photo of the bait and they are smaller versions of the sardines we get here.

This is my first time to the East Cape. My last visit to Cabo was in 1989 and then 1984, but from what I hear, if you want to fish without getting raped, head to Rancho Leonaro. I ran into lots of nice people (all from CA) and the staff takes care of you. This is old school baja!!! We filled up 3 coolers fishing 3 days from 7am til 12pm or 3pm. One day, we ran out of bait!!!

In summary, I have a new found respect for the Skipjacks. They were big and fought harder than the y-fins. Not sure if the bloody meat is any good but the fight was right on!

Enjoy the pics.

Rich and Noah
09-19-2007, 04:59 PM
More

Rich and Noah
09-19-2007, 05:11 PM
I have more

Brad100
09-19-2007, 07:37 PM
for the great report and pictures!!! My brother-in-law has been to Rancho Leonaro and gives it similar thumbs up!!! How are their fees? (if you don't mind)...

Rich and Noah
09-20-2007, 07:14 AM
The fees are very fair and in some cases cheap. Fishing all day on a super cruiser runs $385 less tips and live bait. The boats started at 7am and fished to 3 pm. We never needed to stay out longer so I'm not sure how late they will stay out. Super Pangas are less of course. In Cabo, I had a buddy pay $450 for 4 hours on a smaller boat!

Rancho Leonaro has a website and the room rates are there. They have seasonal rates and I heard they run specials if you see them at a show in SoCal. Food is included with the rooms and the boat lunch is part of it. Food was very good too. Nice variety and the staff will use your catch if you want. The dorado ceviche was excellent!!

Troutman65
09-20-2007, 10:53 AM
Great fishing trip !!

Awesome catch !!!

8)

Those cats must love it there. :lol:

Thanks for sharing with FN.

Troutman65

farmacist
09-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the awesome report & pics. That pic of the tuna boiling really gets my blood pumping :D I'm heading down there Oct. 9 w/ friends... hopefully we get into the same kind of action as you guys.

ahhvtec
09-20-2007, 02:31 PM
62 of us are heading out next week, looking forward to nailing them as well. Great Report Rich and great to see the smiles on your dad and uncle's faces. Priceless my man...

Icefish1
09-20-2007, 03:06 PM
Rancho is a great place and John is a great guy. We use to go down there every year, and they always put us on fish. Looks like they did alright by you. Great pics.

Wingnut
09-20-2007, 03:50 PM
What an awesome trip, great pics! Thanks for sharing. :thumb: