PDA

View Full Version : Friday Wide F Open

flyhigh123
09-06-2013, 10:53 PM
Was able to sneak away friday with 2 noobie friends. They haven't fished really before and wanted to try it out.

hit the lake around 7:20pm, headed out to ski arm. dropped 1st anchor since my friends were knew to boating, i got the rope wrapped around the prop and cut the line. I thought it was going to be one of those days, but luckily the line attached to the anchor was floating just enough for me to see it and grab it.After fixing the anchor, we set it and started the bait bite. It was pretty close to wide open, as soon as my bait hit the bottom, it was getting bit. Most of them were smaller but still pulled some drag so it was fun. threw back a ton. After a few hours of an wide open bite, i asked my friends if they wanted to try trolling. It was about 11am .

Started trolling out of ski arm and picked up a few along the way, saw some nice bait balls being chased by fish on the radar but nothing crazy... about 2 hours pass and i head to fish arm. One thing i did notice is that the water seems to be up. From DK island to the land, i remember there used to be a real shallow part, but now, its around 30ft+.

We decide to make lunch, threw some dogs on the grill as i trolled. I started marking some really nice bait balls with a ton of stripers chasing them. Dropped the rig and picked up a dink. Then my buddy asks me if we could drop anchor and finish cooking lunch( hot dogs with korean pork belly ). I said sure as soon as I finish the pass and i hear the drag start screaming. It was a nice fight and brought in a nice fatty. Not sure exactly how big. The fish finder is blowing up with bait balls non stop and stripers chasing them on every pass. For the next hour and a half it was a wide open bite with fish on every pass, doubles and at times 2 rods going off. its been a while since i last had a bite like this where i expected a fish on every pass. We were taking turns reeling in fish, but it got to a point of whoever wanted to grab the rod could take it as there was very little downtime. At about 2:30pm, my buddy, in the middle of the wide open bite, asked if we can leave early since he has something to do.

So as we were in the middle of a wide open bite, we left the stripers hungry.... Pretty much caught 40+, lost count of the fish. I think if i stayed till late afternoon it would have been just crazy.

its the new moon, so i think it helped.

Good Luck Tomorrow guys!

Bassfan
09-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Nice report. The last few times have been really good fishing mostly for smaller ones but good action.
Anchors can be such a pain in the butt but they are a necessary evil for bait fishing.
They pumped so much water in that I'm not sure you can even see it any more when its flowing in.
Great job getting your friends introduced to Mr. Stripey.

catchingsomefish
09-07-2013, 08:35 AM
Good job out there, sounds like last week for me, Thursday the day before you went, the am bite was great, but I struggled to find the happy fish in the bait after that, I am glad you did so well, it is really fun when you have a day like that congrats...................Dave

flyhigh123
09-07-2013, 09:55 AM
these days dont come often for me , if only maybe once or twice a year. Wish i didnt leave that early....haha

fishinone
09-07-2013, 12:47 PM
LOL Fishing was so easy that your buddy got bored.

Oh yes nice catch!

flyhigh123
09-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Seriously, they are spoiled now. If only it was that easy, but these are the days that makes the skunk days worth it.