PDA

View Full Version : Beach Day - 9/5/2013

ErikAllen17
09-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Kid's school was out today, so I was tasked with taking the day off to watch them. Guess what kids... we're going to the beach! YAY!!!

We hit up my new found honey hole in Malibu and fished from 10am - 1:30pm. It was 85 degrees out, salad on every other cast, water was crazy warm and even though there were hardly any waves, looked like chocolate milk. There were TONS of Leo's roaming the shallows, but nothing biting. I threw all 4 of my different patterned LC's and also my Kroc... total skunkage. That's 2x in a row (I fished there on Monday and was skunked too) . I even LOST an LC... hate when that happens! I think the honey might be drying up. I packed up the gear and the kids and headed to Thornhill-Broome to try my luck there.

When we arrived, I strapped on an LC and walked into the water. First thing I noticed was that it was substantially cooler at TB... later I would see that the temp was 74 degrees. Second, the water was crystal clear. Third, the water was FREEZING cold!!! I was excited because this was the exact opposite of Malibu. If all goes well, I should start smashing fish with every cast! I started casting... and then again, and then again, and again. I threw for almost 2 hours, using 3 different LC patterns... nothing! Then I figured I'd try the Kroc again and then go home. Kids were cold and none of us had eaten since 8am. I tossed the Kroc into the wind, started reeling in and BAM... rod bends and line starts moving left and right. I yell to my kids... "Daddy hooked up on something!" They both dropped the buckets of sand crabs and ran over as fast as they could. I let my daughter Jordyn reel in the fish. It didn't fight very hard, so I figured it was pretty small. Who cares though, it's a skunk-buster, right!?!? As the fish got closer, I could see it was a BSP... my son grabbed the rod while Jordyn taped the catch out at 12". Hey, not too shabby. We released him and off into the surf he went.

I casted out a few more times, but I could see the kids were cold and we were all hungry. We headed back to the car, and headed home. Overall crappy day of fishing, but any day on the water is usually better than the alternative.

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/Thornhill-Broome_09-05-2013_01.jpg

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/Thornhill-Broome_09-05-2013_02.jpg

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/Thornhill-Broome_09-05-2013_03.jpg

DockRat
09-06-2013, 06:51 AM
I had to look up Thornhill-Broom you always mention
Point Mugu State Park. Have you tried C rig crabs or are you a lure only guy ?
Cool pics, thanks for the report.
DR

skunked4life
09-06-2013, 07:24 AM
It is NEVER a "crappy day of fishing" when you hear the screams of "daddy hooked up on something!" I have had times when my kid tells his mom, "daddy didn't catch anything," but he always follows up with "but it was still super fun." He loves that word "super."

Anyways, I digress...You had a day with your children, they look "super" happy in the picture, You beat the skunk, and this was all on a weekday when most of us are working. Sounds like you had a great day and your attitude ("any day on the water is better than the alternative") is spot on! Great report!

TUNAVIC
09-06-2013, 09:39 AM
That was a great way to spend time with your kids,they look happy! WTG Dad.

Cya TunaVic