PDA

View Full Version : Lake Balboa - 9/2 Labor Day

aramirez1988
09-05-2013, 12:03 PM
I took my second trip to Lake Balboa on Monday for a few hour session from noon to 3PM. Boy was it HOT. It was around 100* but the Bluegill bite was crazy. I had both my poles set up (yes, i have the license for 2 haha) one for cats, and the other with whatever to keep me busy. I had my cat pole with a nightcrawler on a Carolina rig and I let it soak. My other pole I tried a few lures for bass but no strikes. Finally, I decided to fish for the gills for a little fun. I set up a torpedo float with a tiny bit of worm on a tiny hook and let it float. Caught at least a dozen little Bluegills and threw them all back (they ranged from 3-5 inches or so). I kept getting little strikes on my carolina rig, but I couldn't hook anything. I left without any keepers overall but still fun.

The best part of the day was teaching a father the easy way to catch some of those Bluegills for his son. It was his boy's first time fishing and he wanted him to catch something. I hooked him up with some tiny hooks since he didn't have any that small. Ten minutes later, I see the kid pulling up a 5 inch gill! The dad was taking pictures and the kid was so excited!

That lake obviously has a LOT of fish, just super tiny ones!