PDA

View Full Version : Labor day local Oceanside

ddoskocil
09-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Went out Saturday and Monday. Saturday, Dad and I - beautiful, flat, calm, sunny, went to Carlsbad kelp and reef just below it. Water 71 and clear dark blue. Fished from 7-11, ended with 1 legal calico, 1 legal sandie, and a nice rockfish. Released about 10 other shorts. Tons of mackeral, 6-12", and sardines 7-8" (yes - that big!). Caught them on plastics and cut bait. Had one white sea bass cruise under the boat over 15#, but was spooked before I could throw out a small mac. Monday - opposite. Dad and I, plus Mom and my boy. Went north to barn. More scattered kelp than Carlsbad. Foggy, breezy, water was 68. Got about 10 short calicos, and tons of macs. No keeper size. Fun day all around with the family.
Would much rather go offshore - hope the water keeps warming and the big fish push up towards Catalina!

DockRat
09-05-2013, 07:27 AM
Water 71 and clear dark blue.

Would much rather go offshore - hope the water keeps warming and the big fish push up towards Catalina!

Been dreaming about Catalina channel exotics for months. Anybody can go down south and catch Tuna and DoDos on a over nighter BUT when getting one on your own skiff is where the fun/action is. When my buddy landed a Dorado outside San Pedro on his bass boat that was so cool.
DR