PDA

View Full Version : Rock Creek lake 8/30 and 8/31

allanon
09-03-2013, 03:55 PM
Hello everyone,
So we hit up Rock Creek Lake instead of South Lake since South Lake was kaput. (drained due to water being taken by DWP).

9/30 - Fri.
First time ever on the lake. By the time we got up and drove to the lake, we didn't get on the water until about 10:45am. We had 2 boats with 7 people. 7 poles in the water.
As I was totally unfamiliar with the lake, brought my fishin buddy fish finder and spent a few minutes driving around to try and learn the structure on the lake. Found a decent sized school just off the point, and most fishing hanging out in 25-50 feet of water. Went back to first spot (50 feet of water) and tried to anchor up, but turns out the rental boats only have a 25-30 foot anchor rope. (DOH!) Finally anchored up in about 25 feet of water and started rigging up. First line is out in water for less than 2 min and it gets hit. I'm thinking this should be a good day. Bring up a small rainbow, nice colors, decent fight. Wasn't able to get all 4 lines in water for about an hour between the kid management (4 and 6 year old boys) and wife management (enough said). Did manage to catch about 5 fish from this spot in about 2 hours. Mostly on pink body, white head micetails. 2 on inflated crawlers. On of the crawler catches was from my 6 year old who was so proud to cast, set hook and retrieve the fish all by himself!
He had a strange fishing action that worked. He would just drop the bait (carolina rigged) over the side, let it hit the bottom, then reel it up, stop, reel it up and stop until the bait was on top of the water, then just let it go back down again. Didn't think it would work, but it did.

Things got quiet in the spot, so moved to spot in the south east corner of the lake. (along side the rocks) We ended up just beaching the boats against the rocks so the kids to could play on the shore and we could fish. Ended up catching 2 from that spot before going in at around 330pm.

Total day 1 - 7 fish from my boat (4 people, 4 poles)
3 fish from 2nd boat (3 people 3 poles)
9/31 Sat
So went for 2nd day since first day wasn't too bad. Got to lake a little bit earlier. First line in the water at 1100am. Fishing was good in this spot. Caught about 8 or so in about 2.5 hours. Once again, almost all on pink/white micetails. My 6 year old did his thing again with an inflated crawler, and caught 1. He was so proud!
We had problems with keeping the boat in one place. The boats have only 1 anchor line so when the wind would change directions it would cause my boat to rotate, crossing lines, etc... Had to leave the spot because of this.

Moved back to same spot as previous day (along side the rocks) and had more good fishing. Caught about 5 more (all pink/white micetails). Left the lake at around 3pm.

Total day 2 - boat 1 - 3 people 4 poles - 13 fish (i have a 2 pole permit)
boat 2 - 3 people 3 poles - 3 fish
boat 3 - 4 people, 2 poles - skunk! (they had to leave water due to sick child)

My thoughts on Rock Creek Lake - they need to have 2 anchor lines for each boat! Also need to have anchor ropes that are capable to anchor in the deeper parts of the lake. The deepest parts of the Lake were up to 80 feet, and the anchor ropes were only about 25-30 feet long.

Lake was crowded, but scenery was beautiful.

billy b
09-09-2013, 08:54 AM
Did you happen to notice if they rent pontoons?

Thanks for the report ... especially love to hear about the kids getting in the game ... great memories!

pitman
09-09-2013, 08:54 PM
No pontoons at rock creek...

billy b
09-10-2013, 08:19 AM
No pontoons at rock creek...

Thanks MUCH for the info, Pitman

Karyn
09-14-2013, 08:57 AM
That is one of my favorite lakes :) the scenery is beautiful, clean- crisp air- and the fishings pretty good too. Thanks for the report :)