PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear Lake Labor Day Weekend

Fresh H2O Bill
09-03-2013, 06:34 AM
Good morning all,

We went up the mountain for the long weekend and had a great, relaxing time. I was able to fish Saturday, Sunday, and Monday mornings. Fortunately the fish were friendly and decided to co-operate.

I hit the water all three mornings at 5:45ish. I float tubed at Windy Point all three mornings as well and was usually out of the water by 9:00-9:30. Saturday morning I picked up 7 bass by 7:00 am then the bite slowed. I was only able to land 2 more bass from 7:00-8:00 am. Nothing huge, the normal 12"-15" BB bass. There were 3 smallies in the mix which was nice. I switched up and started to target crappie. It took a few minutes to find them but once I did it was on. By 9:00 am I had caught 20 plus, all released, knowing that I would be back to take a few (hopefully) later in the weekend.

On a quick side note, there's one thing about the Big Bear bass, those guys can pull. The northerns, though not huge, can pull with the best of them and the smallies, well, we all know how they fight. These 12"-15" bass are constantly fooling me as to how big they are.

Sunday morning was pretty much the same, bass early but only 6 total, and then the crappie. Monday was also the same. I ended up with 13 total bass and caught over 30 crappie. I ended up keeping 15 crappie for the fish fry.

The technique was as follows; I was using a Mojo rig (1/4 oz.) up 18" from the hook. All bass, buckets and smallies, were taken on either a Berkely 7" green pumpkin or pumpkinseed worm. I did employ a 1/4oz. shaky head set-up as well, with the results being a few taps but nothing landed.

All in all it was a great weekend for a time of relaxing with the Family and the added bonus of good fishing. Hat-tip to Eric for putting me on The Point, thanks Eric!

Until next time, tight lines and be safe,

Bill

Matthew 4:19

etaggart
09-04-2013, 06:02 AM
Good to hear, Bill!!!

I gotta find a few other spots where they're biting! And we need to figure out where the big mommas are hiding. There are lots of bigger bass up there, but clearly they're smarter than me.

Anyone feel free to PM me if you have any suggestions on where to hunt and I'll give it a try next time I'm up.

Cheers,

Eric

I*B*CATCHIN
09-04-2013, 07:17 AM
Seems like labor day wasn't labor free @ BBL....sweet....always good pulling fish ....my kind of laborhttp://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w400/theway111/20073947.gif