PDA

View Full Version : Spinning outfit recommendation for the Surf

Dci4me
08-31-2013, 03:52 PM
I used to float tube lakes for LMB and take the fly rods out for Trout, but all I want to do now is fish from the surf. Earlier this year I got a Crucial/Pluton combo and have been throwing LC's from the surf. Mainly landing pig BSP and some Calico. Surf fishing is so enjoyable!

So now I want a second outfit, but this one a spinning outfit. My girlfriend got me a Sustain FG 2500 for my birthday and now I need a rod for it.

I was looking at Crucial 7'6" Medium, and this rod is rated to 5/8oz, and is available in Fast and Extra Fast tapers. My plan is to use this for BSP in the winters. Do you think this outfit could also throw LC's? Fast or Extra Fast action? (this is a bass rod)

Any other rod recommendations?

Now onto line recommendations.... Is anyone using Power Pro on their spinning outfits? Or Mono, fluoro? What size? Leader?

Any comments and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

-Mike

Dci4me
08-31-2013, 04:21 PM
Shimano Clarus Steelhead rod?

dkinla
08-31-2013, 05:55 PM
Hey Mike!

Yeah the Shimano Clarus Steelhead 8'6" rod is probably the most popular surf fishin rod... The older IM-7 rod in the medium or medium light versions are great. The newer IM-8 rods are a little too whippy for me...

Also popular are the Phenix Trifecta rods
http://www.phenixrods.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=61

I think the 9'0 would be awesome...

I also have used the Fenwick HMX steelhead rods and those are nice too.

I currently am using the G. Loomis GL3 STR 1024S model. 8'6" Medium action. 8-12 lb. 3/8 - 3/4 oz. rating and paired up with a Shimano Stradic Ci4 3000 reel has been great for me.

http://www.americanlegacyfishing.com/g-loomis-steelhead-fishing-rod-str1024s-gl3.html

I use 15# powerpro braid on my reels... 8# flouro leader.. And either 1/2 or 3/4 oz. egg sinker on a c-rig depending on the waves/conditions.

Hope this helps. The Shimano Clarus will work great... And lifetime warranty too.

http://www.americanlegacyfishing.com/shimano-clarus-8-6-medium-steelhead-2-piece-spinning-rod.html

American legacy fishing is having 15% off right now.. Free ship.. No CA tax.

Take a look at my post in the Fishing Gear & Tackle thread

Dci4me
08-31-2013, 06:50 PM
That Phenix Trifecta is pretty sweet looking! Is it just me, or is there too much filler in the cork on Phenix' rods? The blank and guides look great, but almost every rod I've seen on the shelf has soooo much filler in the handle...

Dkinla - Do you ever throw LC's with the steelhead rod? If so, do you stick with the 15# PP, and bump up to a 12 or 14# leader?

dkinla
08-31-2013, 07:42 PM
That Phenix Trifecta is pretty sweet looking! Is it just me, or is there too much filler in the cork on Phenix' rods? The blank and guides look great, but almost every rod I've seen on the shelf has soooo much filler in the handle...

Dkinla - Do you ever throw LC's with the steelhead rod? If so, do you stick with the 15# PP, and bump up to a 12 or 14# leader?

yes I've seen a few guys using that Phenix Trifecta... sweet rod... guess it depends on whether someone likes the corkage or not...

and I've seen guys use the good 'ol faithful Shimano Clarus to use with the LC... the 8'6" should be fine... some guys use a little shorter 7'6"... and I just tie the LC directly to my 15# PP braid... no leader/swivels at all. If you feel a little nervous, then move up to 20# braid :Wink:

Dci4me
09-01-2013, 03:46 PM
dkinla - Do you thank that 9/0 would be too whippy for LC's? What about that Phenix Trifecta 8/6 rated 3/8 - 1 oz? I think I have decided on this rod, just not sure which size/rating.... So hard to decide when I can't go into the local tackle shop and do the wiggle test ya know?

dkinla
09-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Yeah I think that 9'0" might be too long and whippy for LCs.

The 8'6" Phenix trifecta sounds way better. And yeah... Too bad u can't try out the rod a bit in a store...
I don't own a Trifecta... But have only heard good things from ppl who use one

Maybe someone on FNN uses a Trifecta and can chime in...

also, wouldn't hurt to give the company a call and speak to a Phenix rep... they might be able to offer some advice on which rod would be more suitable for lures/LC.

Dci4me
09-03-2013, 08:46 PM
I spoke with a Phenix rep today and he grabbed an S905-2 while I was on the phone with him. Flex down to the ferrule, and plenty of backbone from the ferrule to the grip. In his opinion, it would make a great surf rod for tossing 1/2 oz lead and would do well for LC's as well. Thanks for suggesting to call the rep dkinla....

dkinla
09-03-2013, 08:57 PM
I spoke with a Phenix rep today and he grabbed an S905-2 while I was on the phone with him. Flex down to the ferrule, and plenty of backbone from the ferrule to the grip. In his opinion, it would make a great surf rod for tossing 1/2 oz lead and would do well for LC's as well. Thanks for suggesting to call the rep dkinla....

nice! you're gonna have a pretty sweet combo then... your Phenix matched up to a great Sustain 2500...

enjoy!

bachiboy
09-04-2013, 02:00 AM
Sorry I didn't chime in sooner on this...just noticed the thread since my kid is determined to keep me up all night. I own an 8'6" Trifecta casting rod and my friend has, after I sold it to him, the 8'6" spinng rod. Go with the 9. Either would be fine, but if I had to do it over again, I woulda went with the 9'. I also have the Clarus 8'6" spinner. Both are nice but the Phenix is better balanced, which I believe might be a reason for the filler in the handle. I prefer a longer rod for throwing LCs, so the extra length will only be an advantage in casting distance IMO. I use 20# Slick8 PowerPro with a short 12-15# seaguar fluoro topshot on a Ci4 3000 spinner. Hope that helps.

Don

PS - you know, another FNNer, Drewski, had a similar dilemma...what rod to get. I gave numerous suggestions on makes, but what he ended up with was a rod that I had never mentioned. I believe he took his reel with him and put it on the rods he was feeling, before he chose one. I'll tell you the same thing I told him...BALANCE. No matter how light the rod is, if it doesn't balance well with the reel, it'll always feel a little ackward. If you haven't chosen already, take the reel shopping with you.
:Wink:

DockRat
09-04-2013, 06:38 AM
I have a Fenwick 8' 6" HMX steelhead rod. Really happy with it, I bought it off SWAT team member Lucas. Where is Lucas ? Dude gets all into fishing so cal then hangs his gear up ? That thing casts a LC great with the Shimano Symetre and 15 lb braid. I actually prefer a looser more noodle style of a rod and would like to find more whippy of a stick.

Have plenty of conventional rods and reels but having a more of a fly rod conversion with less backbone I think would be cool to have bent in half. Doc Spotty in his Montana report says he has a spinner built on a fly rod blank. Might not work too good on a larger Halibut though.

Dci4me
09-08-2013, 07:28 PM
Thanks Bachiboy and DR. I had the tackle shop order me the 9er. Gonna go pick it up on Saturday :Big Grin: